Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Starting routine Ry 31CC Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:56 PM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting routine Ry 31CC Help

Got a Ryobi 31 with about 6 hours total and it is a real pain to start. 2 ring piston, head with the relief slot. Factory ignition. I'm using a Tower HD starter, 4' 16ga wire leads factory, Yaesu 14 amp bat, (freshly charged. When engine is cold the only way it will turn it over is to loosen the plug several turns, once started and run for a few minutes, if your quick you can shut it down, tighten plug and it will restart nicely with starter. Othertimes it wil just not turn past TDC.

I dislike tightening the plug with the engine running. This is the only method that is fool proof to get it to stay running. Still have all fingers and have shortened the wrench handle to be somewhat safer. There has to be a better way

Fellow at field witnessed this and we tried his battery and starter to no avail. They were impressed with the weedie conversion but the starting method sucks....
Old 06-14-2004, 01:25 PM
JIRomine-RCU
My Feedback: (112)

Default RE: Starting routine Ry 31CC Help

I use a 180 torqMaster starter from hobbico, connicted to a lawn mower battery and it starts my 31 Ryobi it will even start a U.S. 41 cc without any problem.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got an old Evra 190 engine. First generation Ryobi distributed by Hobbico or something like that. Way back in the 80's.

It came with a pulley in front of the prop hub-- and behind the prop. The pulley is notched to accept a piece of rope with a knot in the end. Wrap a length of rope about 3 feet long around the pulley about 5 or 6 wraps and pull it smartly. When the knot reaches the end---- it simply pulls out. If your good, and you pull it pretty hard; it will usually start on the first or second pull.

Maybe you can make a new prop hub thats just 3/8" shorter and put a small pulley in there.

My Evra needs a bit of choking with my finger over the carb. It likes to be a little wet, but not drowned-- where the plug is all soaking with gas. Learned this routine on my particular engine only after much swearing and sweating.

Sometimes these engines can be stubborn. You will find a system that works easily. Just keep at it.

Good luck. They are fun, aren't they?
Old 06-15-2004, 02:35 AM
ZM2000
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

Check if carbon brushes and commutator of your starter are OK, it should be able to turn the Ryobi, atleast slowly.

Alternatively you can make a more powerful starter using an old motor car starter from the junk yard or devise a geared starter.

-ZM
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 AM
coralcape
My Feedback: (4)

Had same problem, switched to a larger battery. Problem solved. Small motorcycle type's just don't have the amps.
Good luck, red
Old 06-15-2004, 10:32 AM
donalddresser
My Feedback: (3)

I have a Homelite 45 cc. I use a Dynatron starter with two gel sels wired in series which gives me 24 volts. I have no problem turning it over and it starts righ up. Before I was using a drill and it was a pain to start because it was not spinning the fly wheel fast enough to give it a realy good spark. Anyway I am very happy with my current set up.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Peter G.

Hi Mikenlapaz;

I never needed a starter for my conversions until lately. The Ryobi on my cub starts within 1 or 2 hand flips of the prop. I put my finger over the carb, make sure the ignition switch is off, rock the prop at TDC back and forth until your finger is a little wet from fuel, remove finger, turn switch on and give a good flip counter clockwise. I start my 54cc. the same way. Once you get use to how much to choke each individual engine, they usualy start with in a few flips.

However ................ with all that being said, I converted a brand new 42cc Efco from Italy. It is the smoothest running engine Ive done. Great power and appears to be of good quality. The trouble is the ignition system needs like 700 or more rpms to fire. No chance to spin it that fast even without a plug in the jug. I tried changing coils with no change. Soooo......... I had a old garden tractor I needed to take to the dump. I took the starter off it. It was only slightly bigger than our usual hobby starters. Hooked it up to a battery and voila!. Man this thing will turn over anything you have. Best of all the price was right. You might look around for a scraped garden tractor.

Good luck Peter
Old 06-15-2004, 06:04 PM
aero nut

Hi Mike! My friend has the same problem, and it's the starter that doesn't haven enough power to turn the motor, he bought a brand new hobbico high torque starter and it just doesn't turn it even when using a car battery; then when we switch to my hobby people's high torque starter and it just turns fine and starts right on the button even with a dry cell 12 volt battery(flight box battery) , so my advice will be try another brand or type of starter and see what happens.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:29 AM
mikenlapaz

Plan A : Try the starter using the car battery. If it is a amp deficit that should solve it.
Plan B : I do have a chicken stick, but have never had any luck starting the Ryobi's with it. Practice.
It won't hurt to open and check the brushes/com as well.

Plan D: Does anyone have any input on using a 24V electric lawn mower motor for starting. Saw one at segunda (/ used Calif stuff) the other day. Size looked about right?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Peter G.

Hi Mikenlapaz;

I never needed a starter for my conversions until lately. The Ryobi on my cub starts within 1 or 2 hand flips of the prop. I put my finger over the carb, make sure the ignition switch is off, rock the prop at TDC back and forth until your finger is a little wet from fuel, remove finger, turn switch on and give a good flip counter clockwise. I start my 54cc. the same way. Once you get use to how much to choke each individual engine, they usualy start with in a few flips.

However ................ with all that being said, I converted a brand new 42cc Efco from Italy. It is the smoothest running engine Ive done. Great power and appears to be of good quality. The trouble is the ignition system needs like 700 or more rpms to fire. No chance to spin it that fast even without a plug in the jug. I tried changing coils with no change. Soooo......... I had a old garden tractor I needed to take to the dump. I took the starter off it. It was only slightly bigger than our usual hobby starters. Hooked it up to a battery and voila!. Man this thing will turn over anything you have. Best of all the price was right. You might look around for a scraped garden tractor.

Good luck Peter
Peter, Do you have any photos of the 42cc Efco engone you converted. I tried to tell folks about that engine several weeks ago on RCU. Glad some-one did convert one. Capt,n
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

you do realize that post was from 2004, right?