Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

New heli on the way, what upgrades?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

New heli on the way, what upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:03 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New heli on the way, what upgrades?

I ordered a jabo II helicopter on ebay yesterday and it should be flying around in my back yard by Saturday. I need to know what upgrades I can get for my jabo. I know that the most important are the shaft collar and the swash ball mod and possibly the head stiffeners. Also what main motor should I get for better performance? (Pls be specific!) I would like to get a better tail motor as well so need help on that too. In the end what battery and charger should I get for longer flights? How do I protect my motors and mixing board from frying?

Please help!

P.S.- should I get the bell hill mixer? What difference does it make?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:18 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: New heli on the way, what upgrades?

ok here we go!
Fist off you already should have a head stiffener.....jabos usually have one on them...you will have a better strut sytem on then most do as the jabo 2 has a better setup.....You wont be flying in the back yard saterday though sorry. Its not that easy. Unless you have experience with these already. You should get a johnston 250 motor. You can buy this at www.like90.com all setup for ya.
They have alot of what you will want. as far as bell hiller mixer....dont get it rite off....learn to fly stock and do each upgrade seperatly...it will pay off in the end. If you want you can put a inline fuse between your chip and your motor. Dont put it between your battery and chip....it could result in loss of controll if it blew a fuse in the air. Get a direct drive tail if you want a better tail of even duel tail motor setup...but like I said learn stock first.

If you want longer flights....get lithium batteries....lipo 2 cell packs are what you want.....1300mah is good. I am not a good person to ask aboput the charger though....I have a bad one....hobbico mkII

By the way I have two jabo's One is stock completely...and one is running seperate chips...I love these birds.....any upgrade for humming bird will work or dragon fly...these are identicle. but just check out www.like90.com and look at what they got....any more info needed?
Old 06-18-2004, 06:17 AM
Coasty

I ordered a jabo II helicopter on ebay yesterday and it should be flying around in my back yard by Saturday.
\

Have you ever flown a heli before? If not you might be disappointed to find that for some it takes more than just a couple days before you're hovering, no to mention flying around...
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 AM
casipak

Well, I've flown my aerohawk in my back yard pretty good. Got a nice stable hover and forward/backward flight, but it was windy so when the wind came it crashed. I learned to fly inside because my carpet is soft. So in about a week and a half I learned to fly inside my living room and it was easy. I guess it'll take me a day or so to get used to the jabo II. They really already come with a head stiffener?

I've been to www.like90.com and for the johnson 250 motor should I just pick the heli as a feda and normal position not inverted?

Justin go to www.hobby-lobby.com and check out the li-po chargers there. Pretty cheap!

Thanks for your help! Any one else have tips for me?[8D]

By the way I ordered the Jabo II with one set of man-made wooden blades, another set of machine-made wooden blades, one set of PE main blades, and some special tail blade. It was all in the package including the stock main and tail blades as well Which ones should I keep and sell? Keep the PE and the special tail and sell the stock and wooden main and tail blades? Not really good at that.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:01 AM
justin_92_92

yea type other for the motor and say you have a jabo. You could tell them you dont need a clip.....you will need to solder yours on not clip it on. Yes you want regulare not inverted.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Gyronut

Just curious, why are you getting another FP heli, it isnt going to perform any better than your aerohawk...

As I said just curious.

Rick
Old 06-18-2004, 04:40 PM
casipak

You see, what happened with my aerohawk wasn't really its fault. It arrived damaged and the seller wouldn'd replace it so I fixed it myself but then because I didn't know how to fly I crashed into a wall and many parts in the head broke. I was afraid that because of the impact some other stuff could've been messed up a little and then brake. I fixed the heli the best I could and sold it. I only got to fly it once but it was awesome. That's why I want another FP heli. I'm 99% sure that the heli was a defective model right from the start. The main axle was plastic but the replacement was metal. That's why it broke into strips! But I don't think it was supposed to be plastic. I'm not ready for CP and don't have the money right now. I'll probably convert my jabo to CP if that's possible. For now flying FP is perfectly fine for me!
Old 06-18-2004, 09:22 PM
justin_92_92

nope cant go cp with jabo but it is a hell of a helicopter.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:55 AM
casipak

That's still ok for me. Once I got my aerohawk off the ground I didn't wanna stop! Can't wait for the jabo supposed to come today[8D] I did hear somewhere that there was some special kit at helihobby that could convert any heli to CP but I'm not sure.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:25 AM
justin_92_92

well I take back what I previosley said. You can go to cp with the jabo...I dont really think it would be worth it to buy all the stuff needed to add to the jabo before even thinking about electronics. I would buy the hb cp frame unit to start off with. Plus you would have two birds then.
The reasoning being you need to get the servo stands and a longer shaft and some other head assembley....its probley cheaper to buy a bird already designed for this. Sorry about my mistake saying you cant convert it. I was not thinking all the possiblities....I threw that thought out once I relized all that would have to be bought
Old 06-19-2004, 05:03 PM
casipak

That's ok. How many helis do you have? Can you post some pics of ur jabba?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:28 AM
justin_92_92

well here are some old pics of it when the canapy was not painted.....It is an old pic caue I let a guy try flying my helicopter and I didnt want him to break alot of stuff so I took my wood blades off and the bell-hiller-mixer and I just strapped the dd tail on for him for the day. ill post pics of what it looks like when it is kinda noob proof.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42141.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	145249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40207.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	145250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36306.jpg
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	145251  
Old 06-20-2004, 09:31 AM
justin_92_92

here is the pics of what it looks like when I let my friends fly it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49864.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	145252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75974.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	145253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32812.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	145254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl27013.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	145255  
Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 AM
casipak

Nice! Hopefully I'll be able to make mine kinda noob proof. So did you ever find a better charger for ur lithiums?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:50 AM
justin_92_92

not yet. i thought I figured out my problem....My motor was not setup to the gear just rite. I fixed that and it still only gets 3 minutes out of a 2100mah pack. I will do a bit more problem solving before I spend 200 bucks on another charger. I wish there was more call for these little birds were I live. I would love to build them custom for people. It is alot of fun and when they come together and fly it is even better. One sad thing is I lost my stock jabo...not sure were it is at all. OOOHHHH never mind...I remember I left it in the garage whil working on it. LOL I looked all over for it last night. thats really funny
Old 06-21-2004, 08:31 PM
casipak

Cool. Got my jabo today and well, what can I say?! Nice, nice! The tail structure is much smarter built and more durable than the one of the aerohawk. The tail boom is better placed and more secure. The mixing board is very well protected and the best part I like is that the landing gear and the battery holder are one part and are very secure. The battery holder is awesome! I don't think I'll ever need a rubber band. I do have to learn to fly mode 2 because my aerohawk was mode 1. Still since I have experience it's easier to learn. Got up for a couple of seconds in the air but went down. I think I'll be able to fly pretty good by the end of the week.
It came without heatsinks though. Did you have that? Where can I get a pair for my main and tail motors for a good price?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM
justin_92_92

I can help on that I believe. I think I have an extra main motor heat sink. I wanted a tail one but they were sold in a pair. Or if you want both you could check out this site....It is for an aerohawk but thats the ones I use for my tail and most main motors are around the same size. http://www.raidentech.com/smhesppa.html ..here is the site I order parts from for my jabo www.allerc.com they are good priced but they take a few days to get to you....www.hellihobby.com is not so good priced but they get to you in 2-3 days

can I see a pic of the landing gear? I ordering one today from a guy for 11 bucks plus s/h i am not sure of how they hook on to the frame though...It is for my stock jabo though.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:15 AM
casipak

Thanks for ur help. I'll check those websites. As for the pic, I don't know how to load it on here so can you help with that? The way it's hooked to the frame is with one screw in the front and on in the back. I'll try to load the pic to give you a better description.

P.S.- I just checked the second website, allerc, and it had heatsinks for a 280, 370, and cn12 motors. Which one is better?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:45 AM
justin_92_92

Theye are all pretty much the same...i think they are a tad bit diff. sizes. I have the green one on my j250 motor and it fits nice and snugg.
You cant do a quick reply to get a pic up on here. You need to click the reply button under this message...and you will then see an upload pic button...its pretty easy from there. Cant wait to see the pic
oh yeah I found out that raidentech has some of the hb parts now. not alot but a few really cheap...you need to look at colco parts to see them though.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:36 PM
casipak

I'll probably post the pic later today because I don't have a digital camera but my bro does so he'll take the pic and I'll upload it. I'll probably buy the heatsinks for aerohawk and put them on my jabo from raidentech. What do you think? Or should I buy the green main motor at allerc and then the tail motor for aerohawk at raidentech?

I looked on raidentech under colco and all the parts were for colco.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:06 PM
justin_92_92

yes the parts are for the coloco but some of them are the same as jabo....mostley the head pieces are the same......I told the guy to send me the bill for the struts so I can have one like those on yours.

I would get the green one too becouse it is bigger and better.....you will want a tail one also and they come in a set from radientech so you will have 2 main ones like I have.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 AM
casipak

Well, I already ordered the aerohawk heatsinks, but I think they'll work nicely because my aerohawk motors never heated up.
One question. In the manual it says to charge the battery for around 2 hours. I completely discharged mine and charged it for about an hour and a half and when I came to check it it was almost too hot to hold and the charger was pretty hot too. But it still works great. Any ideas for why it does that and suggestions on fixing it?

P.S.- my bro is at home the whole day today so I'll probably load the pics today
Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 AM
justin_92_92

yeah mine got really hot too. I still did it for about 2 hours though. I charge for one hour and take off for about 30 minutes and then back on...get a few batteries....you will want them
Old 06-23-2004, 07:07 PM
casipak

So you charger it for 1 hour wait 30 minutes then charge it for another hour and it works fine? I do have 2 batteries and have to say it's really nice to have that advantage.
I flew up on my jabo today it was kind of an accident but I flew on it for about 3 seconds. I found out that with the jabo if you take off slow you have to balance out the heli while it's on the ground to make it even up in the air and that takes a while. But if you take off fast you practically don't have to balance it in the air and not at all on the ground.
Well thanks for ur help with the battery!
Old 06-23-2004, 07:22 PM
JohnY2004

Just curious, did you apply some Artic Silver 3 thermal compound, just a very very thin layer, between your heatsinks and main & tail motors for maximum heat transferring from your motors to the heatsinks for better cooling? The surfaces of a heatsink and motor where they make contact might appear perfectly flat to naked eyes, but in microscopic level, there are valleys and gaps. The Artic Silver 3 thermal paste helps filling those valleys to allow more heat transfers from the motors to the heatsinks. The motors would run more efficiently and more cooling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.