Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Freestyle Rush

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Freestyle Rush

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
graybags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freestyle Rush

G'day Buzz,
Just my luck about the covering etc.
I am thinking about the new ESM Adrenalin as I have a couple of 120FS not being used at the moment.
Have you heard anything about them.
I want to fly sportsman aerobatics to improve my scale flying.
It sounds like you are having a ball with your rush and from the comments from other messages online there are a few others doing the same.
See Ya
Graybags
Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 PM
graybags

G'day Spacey,
The humidity might be it
I spend as much time as my next door neighbour servicing his chopper after a days flying, glueing the covering with super glue. Time restraints prevents me from recovering as I only get 1 day a week in town and the other half gets iritable if I go flying or working on planes all day. No sense of humor or she hasnt got her priorities right, probably both.
Cheers
Graybags
Old 05-17-2004, 06:09 PM
slyms

Graybags,

Can you guys get Balsaloc or Covergrip over there. If you have any wayward covering it ain't never going to come off after using this stuff. Poo to bed linen!

later,
Sym.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Buzz Lightyear

Graybags
I have flown the Adrenalin with a YS140FZ and OS91FX. I would say the 120FS would be a perfect combo. Try an APC 14x10 (or 15x8) for starters.

I didn't like the OS91FX in the Adrenalin. I don't know if there is a problem with the 91, but it doesn't have enough go to fly F3A. It's not mine, so I haven't played with it.
But it does fly beautifully. Very light.

I am waiting for an Adrenalin to show up on my door. It will get the YS140FZ. I am going to used it as my F3A practice model.

Guys

We have taken the YS110 out of the Rush :-( It is now in a 90 size Impression
I am going to put the Saito 72 in it and have another go. I'll try a couple of props and see if I can get it to go.

I guess it is easy for me to say the plane does this and that when it has a YS110 or OS91FS in it. I'll bring it down a level and then maybe I can offer some advise to the guys with smaller motors in them.......(get a bigger motor!! hahahahaah only joking)

It will fly on the weekend, so I will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers

Buzz
Old 05-18-2004, 01:28 AM
lord lucan

ORIGINAL: Buzz Lightyear

I guess it is easy for me to say the plane does this and that when it has a YS110 or OS91FS in it. I'll bring it down a level and then maybe I can offer some advise to the guys with smaller motors in them.......(get a bigger motor!! hahahahaah only joking)

It will fly on the weekend, so I will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheers

Buzz
Buzz,... got to say that is an excelent comment really good ... v. impressed ..looking forward to more info.....Dave.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Buzz Lightyear

Guys

Just got in after 4 flights of the Rush with the Saito 72 in it.
We used a 12x8 and 15% fuel. The engine is a gem.

The combo is great for hard core sport flying. Slow rolls or knife edge on takeoff (even did a snap on takeoff) all not bad. Tried a bit of pattern.......mmmmm need more power. There is enough power to get to the top line, but if you have rudder hanging out to keep it straight...forget it!

I did get it to pull out of a hover....just! Rolling circles, knife edge, knife edge snaps, snaps, tumbles etc, are all great and easy to do. It is just not enough power with the nose pointing up.

IMO, it is an excellent combo. With a lower pitch prop it might be easier to hover.
I would still put the biggest engine I could in this plane. OS91 was better, YS110 was unbelievable.

I would say this combo lives up to its design.... Freestyle. In this format it is not a 3D machine.

Cheers

Buzz
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Stiks

Buzz

Do you think a GMS 120 2 banger would be good for the adrenaline. I want to use it to start flying pattern but also would like to have a go at 3d. The GMS will weigh roughly the same as a OS 120 4 stroke so I can't see the weight being an issue. How have you found the balance like with the 140fz in it?

Stiks
Old 05-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Buzz Lightyear

Stiks

The GMS will be perfect. You will need to put the 2 elevator servos in the back of the fuse.

I would run a 16x8, 17x8 or 18x6 for 3D and try a 15x12 for pattern. Don't forget the throttle when you have the 15x12 on it. The idea is to fly/cruise at 1/2 throttle and put the power on when you pull up.

You will love this plane

Cheers

Buzz
Old 05-24-2004, 07:13 AM
Stiks

Awesome Buzz, that was the response I was looking for. And as for putting the two elevator servos in the tail even better, looks like I can play with carbon fibre pushrods now
Old 05-30-2004, 04:35 AM
RH1N0

I was able to see a Freestyle Rush fly today as a visitor brought his to my local club. This one has a TT46 and 12x4 prop. It flew well, was easily able to hold knife edge flight and floated in at walking pace with flaperons deployed. Lacking in vertical punch though.

In the mean time, I have run in the OS FS70 and hopefully my servo's, prop and other bits and pieces will arrive tomorrow. All that's left to buy is receiver, servo extensions and spinner. Can't wait to get this thing flying[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60664.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	137753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55374.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	137754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97083.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	137755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89103.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	137756  
Old 05-30-2004, 04:46 AM
RH1N0

BTW. The Rush pictured in my previous post seemed to be an earlier model then mine. This one had an elevator pushrod exit hole in the rear of the fuse whereas mine has a big hole to mount the elevator servo in the tail. The horizontal stab is yellow on top whereas mine is white with orange and yellow trim. Also, I think the belly pan is ply with cut-outs whereas mine is balsa.

Does anyone know the story between the two configurations?
Old 05-30-2004, 05:14 PM
slyms

Rhino,

We designed the new range. What happened was the Australian market had kits available before we did as we were still testing our prototype. We made a few alterations (none really improving the plane, more a case of personal preference), then these alterations were incorporated into the next batch - simple! Nothing wrong with the early ones everyone!!!

Sym
YT Int.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:05 AM
kaz1104
My Feedback: (13)

Hi Guys, I don;t know if this thread is still active...... Flew my freestyle rush with an SC 46 but got sick of the inverted motor. Have just fitted up a Rossi 61 at 30 degrees down from horizontal, with an APC 14x5 prop. Yet to try it out....when in doubt, add more power. CG works out well with the 61, as with the 46 it was at 120mm back from leading edge, plus now I can get the battery pack back into the radio compartment instead of in the tank compartment. Flew well but did dave the "snap" tendancy described, though this was fixed by straightening a bad warp in the left hand wing half. (it would snap roll when lots of elevator was used). Fantastic floating, nose up landings.
KAZ
Old 06-07-2004, 09:55 AM
JezHarris

RUSH WONT DO BLENDER

Hi all- just flown rush for first time-great plane!!

BUT it wont do a blender-mates also wont-im flying with an asp 52- he's on a saito 70---any ideas?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Buzz Lightyear

Jez

The Rush isn't the best snapping plane I have flown. I think (I am not sure about this advise/opinion) the Rush is very stable in some aspects and not in others. I'll try to explain.

We are all having trouble pulling up to a hover, the plane drops a wing....why? I don't know. (It never bothered me. A quick application of right rudder to set the plane up and start hovering.) But this 'stall' is what I would expect from an unstable model. To make it even more confusing, the model seems very stable when flying and trying to land it.

Even though the Rush tends to be 'snappy' when trying to hover, it is stable when trying to snap. It is like trying to snap a contstant wing 3D model.....maybe someone needs to sit down and tell the Rush to behave itself!

I think this is why is won't flat spin or blender. It just isn't quite stalled enough. Moving the CG back didn't help with the Rushs I have flown. It just made them ugly to fly.

If you want something that will blender and snap and flat snip, get a 40 sized Cap 232. If you want something that is easy to fly, land and is great for F3A and hot dogging, keep the Rush.

I guess this is why I have 2 F3A planes, 1/3 Pitts, 35% Extra, and some little electrics......they all do different things

(All the above is IMO)

Cheers

Buzz
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 PM
mc71

I have to seccond Buzz's comment on the entry to a hover. It was hard to get a nice clean entry, the back end seemed to go where it wanted to, I thought that maybe the elevator was blanketing the rudder area or that the tailplane was stalling before the wing was. The plane is still a little gem to fly but every plane has to have its own quirks.

Matt
Old 07-06-2004, 10:26 PM
graybags

Hi Matt,
I have a very basic Rush with a 46 ASP in it and as long as you keep the aerobatics small it is OK. Pretty crummie as 3D but then so am I trying to do them.
I have looked at the larger models such as the Adrenelin and putting a 2500ST in it.
My other thought is getting a CMP Yak 54. Do you or any other reader have any info on the Yak. I had a CMP Katana with a 3000ST that flew far better than I could fly until another club member turned his radio on and "say goodbye Katana" so much for field procedures. Anyway thats history now time to move on.
Would appreciate any info
Graybags
Old 07-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Stiks

Greybags

Go get another Katana. The Yak is not anywhere near as good from the comments posted here. Actually I think Buzz posted in a YAK thread that he tested one. If memory serves me correctly he wasn't real pleased with it. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in.

Stiks
Old 07-07-2004, 08:22 PM
mc71

Thats the yak with the fibregalss fuse?

I was going to get one but wanted to have a fly of one first. Very good quality but would probobly need a fair bit of mixing to get the knife edge nice and true. So I am going to get the new extra that they are producing instead, $380 bucks for a good arf 1/4 scale plane, I own a pair of shoes worth more than that. I normally don't like to endanger anything that big but I am going to fly the crap out of it.

Actually it's getting buzz's old 140RX with a tuned pipe.

Matt
Old 07-09-2004, 01:31 AM
lord lucan

Greybags..& guys ...sorry to here 'bout the Rush....finished my cyclone ...amazing ...barely over 8lbs..thats with a 1.20 FSIIIP & O.S. tuned pipe...waiting for a decent w/end now..can you get the cyclone down there ...? looks nice now ...
Tell you what i was gona ask ya ..... What do you think about electrifying a Rush...i've just been using some LiPo's for the first time...bit of an eye opener for me..[:-]...any comments...views
Old 07-09-2004, 05:10 AM
mc71

Lord lucan

I have seen an electrified rush, only a few weeks ago. It was a comercial conversion kit that I believe was from YT, came with the motor mount, motor and battery bay I think. It ran on 14+ GP 3300 NiMH and had performance comperable to a YS 63 for the first few minutes. It looked like it flew very light too. Again it was set-up to fly pattern not to 3D

Matt
Old 07-09-2004, 06:14 AM
lord lucan

ORIGINAL: mc71

Lord lucan
It ran on 14+ GP 3300 NiMH and had performance comperable to a YS 63 for the first few minutes. It looked like it flew very light too. Matt
..thanks Matt ....sounds worth further investigation...if it was good on 3300 NiMH's i'm wondering what it would be like with Kokams ...[:-]...
Old 07-10-2004, 07:10 PM
RH1N0

I have finished my Rush and now have six flights on it. I was pretty nervous when lining up for the maiden flight. After all, the Rush is only my second glow plane after my trainer (WM WorldStar 40). At this point, I should pass on a big thanks to you guys and RC Universe as many late nights of reading these forums have taught me how to run in and tune the four stroke and to succeed in test flying my first low wing, tail dragger, 3D style plane. As a result, the test flight was a piece of cake and I was very comfortable with the plane after only a couple of circuits. I tried 2 practice approaches before succeeding in a very gentle landing. This thing is easier to land then my trainer!

I started with equal amounts of right rudder, right aileron and up elevator trim but, after more flying, I ended up increasing right rudder trim and dialling out all the aileron and elevator trim. Also played with throttle to rudder mix but it didn’t make a big difference. Would you guys add some right thrust at the firewall or continue to use right trim?

The CoG is currently at the recommended 10cm. The plane is easy to manage in basic sport flying but I found it harder to hang on the prop then my trainer and it needs a little too much forward elevator stick in inverted flight. I plan to move the receiver battery to behind the rudder servo and see how that goes. Where do you guys have your CoG?

The OS70 has been running very well. Needed a little leaning of the low speed idle screw to prevent it from flooding at idle but no dead sticks in flight so far (touch wood). The plane has unlimited vertical with an APC 14x6 prop but doesn’t blast out of my poor attempts at hovering. I will try a 14x4W after changing the CoG.

I plan to spend a few more flights getting comfortable with the Rush and then I will program in flight modes, max out the throws and try some 3D stuff. But for now I'm having heaps of fun flying knife edge and doing ultra-fast rolls .

Name:	Bz79003.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	152342  
Old 07-10-2004, 11:40 PM
lord lucan

ORIGINAL: RH1N0
But for now I'm having heaps of fun flying knife edge and doing ultra-fast rolls .
....great ..this is all that really matters ...

With a BIT of luck i may get to try the cyclone later ...weather permitting..allready to go...... UCD flown ..wow..

Name:	Gd93789.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	152456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78297.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	152457  
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM
TUMBLER
My Feedback: (13)

Just a suggestion for you guys flying with a Saito 72. I saw someone was using a 12-8 prop and can't get it to pull out of a hover well. Most guys i know are using a 14-4 and 30% Heli fuel and it rockets out of a hover! I have a Rush coming tomorrow and I'm using a 50 SX, 13-4, and 30% heli. I tried this same engine on a Funtana and was marginal on 15% but perfect with 30%. I do mostly 3D so never get much above 1/2 throttle so doesn't hurt the motor, plus with the extra oil heli fuel has, it looks like you have a smoke system on it!

How are these things to harrier and elevator with .91's and 1.10's. I would think you are killing the wing loading and must tip stall like a *******.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.