Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

Old 07-12-2004, 08:19 AM
A. Holden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THE OMP KATANA ARF's HERE!!!!

it came in at a little over 4 lbs too-
Old 07-12-2004, 08:28 AM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

"Happy Hooligans" Fargo, ND Guard F-16 unit!!
Old 07-12-2004, 08:37 AM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Does saddler get a brownie now?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 AM
buildflycrash

"Happy Hooligans" Fargo, ND Guard F-16 unit!!
send it to my office I will p.m. address

He didn't say to the first one who gets the answer did he?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
buildflycrash

Brown was just here I sent him back with the box. the box was crushed so I looked inside and the ribs were crushed on one wing. I realy wanted to keep it but My $$$ bought an ARF not a problem.

Scott B
Old 07-12-2004, 01:24 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Bummer...UPS sucks....they probably put the words FRAGILE (means sit on it whenever you can) on the box.

The world needs to stop using them....
DHL and Airborne is cheaper and more reliable.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Saddler....the winner. If I dug around, I'll bet I could find an MRE brownie somewhere that would be suitable for mailing. Last night was the perfect dead calm flying conditions and do I get to go flying? nooooo. I had to go fishing. Pissed.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM
cropdusterdave

Oh, and if you had to do an internet search...it doesn't count.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:55 PM
3d-aholic

The wing cord looks substantially smaller to the OMP Edge looking at the side pics here. I would think that makes it a bit more difficult to hover....
Old 07-12-2004, 05:59 PM
3d-aholic

Then again, I look at the head-on picture and that doesn't seem to be the case. I guess the wing has a taper to it....
Old 07-12-2004, 06:04 PM
cropdusterdave

It didn't seem very hard to hover to me. I think I need a bit more expo in my rudder as it is VERY effective. This is a very "groovy" airplane.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:10 PM
3d-aholic

I'm about done with my Edge...I'm going to need a "backup" plane. It has to be an ARF. For me, its scratch, then ARF, then scratch, then ARF. I have a .46 ready to go.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:15 PM
cropdusterdave

Yeah, I'm kinda like that too. But I won't build in the summer unless it's foamies or ARF's. I got a looong winter for that. This was my first ARF. I like it cuz I don't care if I break it.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:41 PM
A. Holden

just made the maiden flight on mine- it took a little left aileron to trim out but that's it- this is the best small profile that I own- the YS 63 performed beyond my expectations...... what a power-house! all in all I am very pleased

Alex
Old 07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

I just got the arf last week and flew it for the first time tonight. Just to point out a few things. The arf is a 48!QUOT! wing span NOT 46!QUOT! like the web site says. It has 718 sq in of wing area and mine with a lot of heavy items came out to 4lbs 6oz rtf. Very light in my book. The down sides are the instructions, which if you've built a few arfs won't matter because this thing goes together very easy and fast. The balsa sheeting is very soft which i guess helps with the light weight, but i'd feel better with harder balsa. The covering is elcheepo, but again the arf is only $129. The hardware is typical with the worst part being the wheels they are literally the size of a quarter...lol. Now on to the flight performance. I have a ys63fz spinning a 13-4w prop. hitec 5475 digitals on the ailerons and elevator, 5945 on the rudder and a futaba 3003 on the throttle. all on a 4.8v 1650 nimh. No weight savings in any of that stuff huh..
The plane is a rocket ship with the ys 63 on it. It loves hovering and will do it at just over 1/4 throttle. Powering out is awesome like i said rocket like. It flys super light. The only gripe i have is the elevator is limited to 45 degrees of throw which hampers tight waterfalls and a few other high alpha maneuvers. It will be a quick fix with a dremel. The rudder is extremely powerful knife edge flight requires almost no top rudder and ke loops are tight, pin wheels are very easy as well. As i get used to it alittle more i believe this will be the best profile i've flown, I have 3 friends with the omp edge that i have flown quite a bit and to be honest with only 3 flights in the katana blows them away.
hope this helps
Al Renkel
Old 07-16-2004, 08:10 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Don't expect the plane to harrier or be any more stable with more throw. The only advantage of going to more throw is for tighter waterfalls. The plane harriers best at around 30 degrees of throw.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:18 PM
lxcoupe
My Feedback: (34)

Dion,
This plane is a great addition to your lineup. I agree with you on the harriers and about 30 degrees of throw. I just need more for the waterfalls and flat spins i do like the one piece elevator thought. No joiner wire is the way to go, in my opinion.
Thanks
Al Renkel
Old 07-19-2004, 01:59 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELP???

Could someone please tell me how to run the throttle servo wire to the receiver. There is no hole in the main wing spar to run it through and I'm reluctant to cut one. I cannot tell, even, remotely, how it should be run. The manual is worthless and unviewable its quality is so poor.

Also.\, does anyone know the manufacturer and colors of the blue and yellow they use? thanks

Steve
Old 07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
cropdusterdave

I couldn't figure it out either. I just notched out a little spot on the wing hatch and wrapped the wire around the bottom of the fuse and into the harch. Not pretty...but it works. How'd everyone else do it?
Old 07-19-2004, 02:39 PM
A. Holden

I cut a small rectangular hole in the le of my wing and ran it in there- you have to drill a hole in the bulkhead to get it to the rx- but then you don't need any extensions and so forth and it's on the side opposite the exhaust-

Alex
Old 07-19-2004, 05:15 PM
AFSalmon
My Feedback: (3)

Yep, just notch a small hole inthe le sheeting for the throttle wire and you are set. Also note that Matt's Katana kit has a 46" wingspan and the ARF is at 48". So I think that was just a misreading of the website and mixing up the two.

By the way we have passed on many upgrades to our manufacturer for the next round of Katana ARFs and they are truly better than ever. I have the second prototype flying now and it's awesome. Biggest improvement is Ultracote covering! Plus more elevator throw and double bevel on all hinge lines. Like previously mentiones though, the dremel tool makes quick work of increasing that fuselage notch for the elevator.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:38 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once again you have disappointed me. First you sent the wrong gear. Now I find out you have an improved version coming out that was not mentioned when I ordered my plane a couple of weeks ago. Your answer on the throttle servo cable is unsatisfactory. In order to get the cable through the wing into the compartment you must cut a hole in the main wing spar. I do not consider this a satisfactory solution. I am wondering if anyone just cut a hole in the fuselage to at least get it over to that side of the wing.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:50 PM
3d-aholic

There is always an improved version of everything on its way. Why does this surprise everyone?

....I bought a mini cooper S a year ago and now they got a convertible coming out. Why didn't they tell me and I would have waited...?

In fact, I bought an OMP Edge 2 months ago, why didn't someone tell me they were coming out with an ARF profile...now I'm nearly done with my Edge.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 PM
cropdusterdave

Your answer on the throttle servo cable is unsatisfactory. In order to get the cable through the wing into the compartment you must cut a hole in the main wing spar. I do not consider this a satisfactory solution.
So pick a spot that's not through the spar... or come up with your own solution.

N
ow I find out you have an improved version coming out that was not mentioned when I ordered my plane a couple of weeks ago.
From the very beginning OMP said they were gonna make some improvements and this was just a trial run of the Katana. Have you looked around here? Does OMP not have the best customer service you've ever seen? They even have a forum for their stuff and you can talk directly to them any time you want. They will fix anything that is truly wrong so long as it's not a frivolous little gripe. Don't jump the gun, man.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:49 PM
3d-aholic

Well I don't have one of these planes...but what about this..

Before the wing is attached.
Drill a hole into the front, in the middle of the wing...then slit the fuse right at the leading edge of the wing. Peel the covering back first. It would look like the servo wire disappears into the fuse about 1/4 inch in front of the wing. Use a piece of straw slit to protect the servo wire if need be from glue during the wing. I guess there are probably many more ways....but seeing as how these are the initial prototype versions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.