Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

MHZ 52" Apache project

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

MHZ 52" Apache project

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:32 AM
BajaBob-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MHZ 52" Apache project

All the glitz and glamour parts don't make the boat run any faster or any better,time after time I see kids dump good money on chrome junk and then skimp on the parts they need to make their stuff run,I've seen boats with $400 paint jobs and polished aluminum everything,and whats on the prop shaft? a stock octura thats not even sharpened and balanced.

I guess caddys do the same as pintos
Old 08-21-2004, 11:47 AM
LVEURBOATS

ORIGINAL: BajaBob

All the glitz and glamour parts don't make the boat run any faster or any better,time
Sorry didn’t mean to shake anyone’s tree branch too hard, but my philosophy is if you can afford it and it doesn’t pose a risk to someone why not. This hobby for me is self gratification, after hard days at the office I just like to get home look on my boat run it in my lake and unwind.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Aaronie

Good point BajaBob. I guess I shouldn't of bought those spinner rims and that 10" subwoofer for my 1970's Jeep. [:@]
Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 PM
BajaBob-delete

You missed the point, choosing things based on how they look instead of how they work will bite you everytime.The chrome don't get ya home.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:49 AM
jhay
My Feedback: (1)

WOW, I spend the day moving deer blinds and come back to this. BajaBob, I think you are missing the point. This is a project boat for me, I am having a lot of fun gathering the parts and look forward to assembling and running this boat. I do not have any desire to be practical, that is why I am using a Z drive and putting all of the fancy parts on it. I do this to relax and just have fun. If one of the parts is a dud, I will simply buy a different one and keep on trucking. Have you had a bad experience with any of the Bonzi parts? I would really like to keep this post on target. If you have ideas, or want to share experiences that you have had with the parts I have ordered, I would love to hear about it. I really want to keep this fun and constructive.

Practical is boring! I guess I should return the Platinum Prop that I ordered and the diamond studded servo arms?
Old 08-22-2004, 03:12 AM
BajaBob-delete

No I am not missing the point,the water jacket is a funtional part,not a cosmetic piece,if its replaced it needs to replaced with a part that serves the same function,and installed in manner that does not distort the bore.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 AM
jhay

I would rather hear that you had a bad experience with a product and that from one hobbiest to another that you would recomend staying away from that project. the only point that you made in the previous posts is that sometimes the "pretty Parts" don't always work so well. I have no problem making changes based on other peoples experiences, that is why I am doing this post in the first place. Besides Larry at Fast rat already made this point and I value his opinion since he modded my motor and could back it up with a little personal experience.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:28 PM
magyarbacsi

Have a question on the Z drive. How much drag is produced by the internal parts and is it like the real out drives, i.e. beveled gears and shafts and submerged in oil? Is it a 1:1 ratio and can it be changed?
Old 08-22-2004, 12:34 PM
BajaBob-delete

You may understand that, the others who jumped into the thread don't get it.
I have equipped more than few engines with water jackets,I don't need to have had a bad experience with the water jacket in question to know of the issues with mounting it they way they had been,those other jokers seem to think mounting it the old way is alright,instead of listening they choose to be smart*****e$ about it.

Even if I had a bad experience with Bonzi ,you wouldn't hear about it,all too often,
and this thread is a prime example,comments are misread and taken out of context,a simple critisizm is taken as bashing.I'm not speaking as a hobbiest, but as one who modifies engines,I won't let a customer equip an engine with questionable parts or the wrong way without a warning,many times customers cause problems for themselves and then blame the guy who worked on it.
Its not a simple matter of swapping the water jacket if it doesn't work, you will need to replace the cylinder,the piston and ring if the bore gets distorted.but if ash and aroni think its ok to squeeze down on the top of the jug,then let them.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Aaronie

I got it. I don't know how you thought I didn't. And I never said it's alright to squeeze on the top of the jug.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:36 PM
LVEURBOATS

ORIGINAL: BajaBob

ash and aroni think its ok to squeeze down on the top of the jug,then let them.
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20205.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	166412  
Old 08-22-2004, 04:41 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Ok now lets not get testy over a stupid water jacket.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 PM
LVEURBOATS

ORIGINAL: Raydee

I’m sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to inject some humor into a tense subject
Old 08-22-2004, 06:06 PM
BajaBob-delete

Ray thats the typical response you get when you try to help guys avoid major problems and save them money.Instead of acknowledging the information and advice given they respond with wise cracks and act indignent,and then they wonder why no one wants to help them.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:11 PM
LVEURBOATS

and then they wonder why no one wants to help them.
Common you got to admit it’s funny as hell
Old 08-22-2004, 06:47 PM
jhay

Bajabob, I really do appreaciate the feedback. I have been doing this for about 8 months now, and this boat will represents a signifigant financial investment. I have chosen to build this boat myself instead of taking the easy way and buying a RTR from one of the big companies. My goal is to put together a really top notch boat with great components. I hope that everyone can get back on track and start posting some pics of their boats so that everyone can learn from each others sucess and failure. I just got back in town from picking up my tools. I hope to get together with my neighbor this week and cut the stringers and really start making some progress..
Old 08-22-2004, 06:52 PM
LVEURBOATS

ORIGINAL: jhay

I hope to get together with my neighbor this week and cut the stringers and really start making some progress..
John so sorry about the foolishness but Baja bob kept asking for it, getting back to more important matters what type of stringers are you going to go with??
Old 08-22-2004, 06:56 PM
jhay

Have a question on the Z drive. How much drag is produced by the internal parts and is it like the real out drives, i.e. beveled gears and shafts and submerged in oil? Is it a 1:1 ratio and can it be changed?
It is exactly like a scale drive. It is supposed to have a 16% overdrive, but I am sure there is performance lost to the gearing, but is really an amazing piece of hardware. The quality is phenominal. I would go to the www.mhzusa.com website to get more info. If you go under videos they have a cross section of the drive so you can see the inner workings.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:59 PM
jhay

No biggie, I am just happy to see people posting under the boat forums. It has been a little light lately..

I am going to mock it up with Hobby ply, but have not decided on the final setup yet. my neighbor is a retired cabinet maker and has all of the woodworking tools that I need..
Old 08-22-2004, 07:04 PM
LVEURBOATS

still going to use open servos

No biggie, I am just happy to see people posting under the boat forums. It has been a little light lately..

I am going to mock it up with Hobby ply, but have not decided on the final setup yet. my neighbor is a retired cabinet maker and has all of the woodworking tools that I need..
Old 08-22-2004, 07:07 PM
LVEURBOATS

My deal went sour with the boat i showed you, think i got to suck in my pride and go to Dr Loo
ORIGINAL: ash4889

still going to use open servos

Old 08-22-2004, 07:32 PM
jhay

yep, I ordered some aluminum servo mounts last week that should be in Monday.

I still need to come up with an Idea for the radiobox to hold the battery, reciever and safety/kill switch. I will probably just make it out of wood since My neighbor can cut the pieces for me ( I never could cut a straight line on a table saw)..

I f anyone has some ideas for a small radio box let me know. It cannot be a standard "Deep" box because of the mounting of the shaft for the z drive. I am going to run exposed servos ( 2 for the steering and a throttle servo, so the box will need to be narrow and shallow.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

I just don't want to see threads like this get shut down because there is some good info here. I too bought the BonziSports water jacket and didn't install it for the fear of it warping my newly modded G260. I had tons of emails telling me not to use it and a few that said they have used it with Zero problems. I personally would much rather have it bolted like the stock jacket. I am looking into having it machined that way also. I just always liked the look of the square jacket, reminds me of the Mathe and quickdraw engines. I bought the jacket purely for the cosmetics of it and once I heard there may be a problem with it warping the cylinder I decided against it.

Once I have it machined with two holes in the top and have it mounted the right way I will try it out and see if I like it.

ORIGINAL: ash4889

ORIGINAL: Raydee

I’m sorry if I offended anyone, I just wanted to inject some humor into a tense subject
Old 08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
LVEURBOATS

[quote]ORIGINAL: Raydee

I just don't want to see threads like this get shut down because there is some good info here. [quote]

Your absolutely 100% right, but in defense its Sunday a few beers foolish behavior starts. I apologize to Baja bob he has been a great help in the past and still is with his much needed advice. Now john there is a guy on eBay who has what I think your looking for the auction number is Item number: 5916393028
Old 08-22-2004, 08:09 PM
LVEURBOATS

It cannot be a standard "Deep" box because of the mounting of the shaft for the z drive. I am going to run exposed servos ( 2 for the steering and a throttle servo, so the box will need to be narrow and shallow.
John
What I plan on using for my next boat is a 3 servo setup, I am going to remove a U section of the box and glass it in so it would fit over the tube that comes out of the Z-drive. I am then just putting 2 servos that are connected to steer the boat

PS Please excuse crude drawing, it was done in a hurry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36796.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	166470  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.