Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

The best sim

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Jaffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The best sim

So I'm about to purchase a simulator. I fly Heli's and want to know what all you guys think is 'the best' so that I don't buy a 'dud'.

looking forward to your advice.

Andy.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Wright Flyer

Default RE: The best sim

It's between Reflex XTR, AFP or RFG2. The only person who can give you an honest answer is the person who owns all three.

I only own XTR so naturally say that it is the best one.

I'm sure others who own either just RFG2 or AFP will, in turn, say that each of those is the "best".

These things then usually develop into a "flame war" of "my simulator's better than yours".

Cliff
(quite willing to believe that AFP and RFG2 are just as good as the most excellent XTR)
Old 08-10-2004, 12:30 PM
Mike Ledbetter

AeroFly Pro. And it's the best deal (here at least). Read the RCU review and search the posts here for "best." Best physics and open code so there's boo coo add ons.

Regards.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

I own all three. Folks here have a large AFP bias, and that is fine for them. But, most scream AFP is the !QUOT!best!QUOT! and have never tried anything other than G2.

G2
I think we will all agree that G2 is no longer worth the money or the agony of making it run. G2 does have it's good points and works fine for learning left from right and aircraft positioning. While the stock - or add-on - airplanes look real good, they usually don't fly like the "real" thing. There is a large number of third party planes, fields, etc., but this to is changing.

AFP
Much better for all around simulation. Flight model is good and used as a training/practice aide is far better than G2. Price is good and support is ample. Third party planes are "hit or miss". Some designers strive for realism and others "tweak" the models so much so that they can say they can fly 3D, that the models get completely unrealistic. Of course, this holds true for ALL R/C sims, so should not be a a deciding factor. As a matter of fact, I should not have even included this bit, but HATE deleting something I have already typed and consider it about as much a waste of time as I do explaining that I should not have included it in the first place. As stated above, many will rave over AFP. Read the numerous posts and you decide. AFP does have some nice things like SMOKE and the ribbon trail. I use the ribbon when working on IMAC sequences. I record my flight and review the nav aide window to check for 3 axis deviations, entry/exit speeds and such. Customization is GREAT ! It is fairly easy to modify aircraft allowing you to change surface throws, engine params, etc. and see how it affects flight performance with wasting the cash or an airplane. One of my favorite "extras" about AFP is that the planes break. This is a novelty, but every one of my friends who have seen it - love it.

Reflex XTR
The more I fly with it, the more I fly with it! Get the point? G2 has not been on my system for almost a year and I own the original G2, the interlink version - girlfriend was flying with original - and all the add-ons. Will probably sell the lot on eBay. I used to bounce back to AFP because of the large number of planes I have, but NOT because of a flight / physics model or anything else the AFP proponents will - in my view INCORRECTLY - scream about. AFP does NOT fly better than XTR. The photorealistic XTR scenery is nice and I have spent HOURS taking pictures and getting my local field into the sim - though this is not the reason I like it over AFP. The models are SOLID and the physics are good. The change in terrain affecting the model is nice - short grass acts like short grass including the bounce over rough terrain. Tall grass will slow and stop the plane with the possibility of a ground loop. In flight, the planes don't float when you perform a tail-slide _G2 DOES and AFP planes sometimes act a "bit light". Now, this is probably due to the 3rd party model issue addressed above. Torque Rolls are NOT easy, harriers act correctly, elevators and walls give you what you expect. XTR flys more like the airplanes I fly and compete with - it's a bonus that I can do so at my own field when the weather is bad. The DOWNSIDE of XTR at this point is support. I am not speaking of vendor or developer support - I have not needed to use it. I am referring to an installed user-base, the 3rd party "add-ons" and the simple fact that I do NOT read or speak German. Mind you, I had the same issues with AFP when I was one of the few in the U.S.A that was using it. Now, just ask an AFP question and someone will be able to help you. I have not created my own aircraft in XTR yet, started to, but the damn thing didn't make any more sense to me than AFP did until I emailed back and forth to Rodeo.

Anyway, hope this helps. And to SOME of You - Flame away because it always gives me a laugh to see someone showing their ignorance of both a product and life.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:24 PM

Umm...........

I have AFP & like it.

I might buy XTR someday too.........

No flame here.

Brad
Old 08-15-2004, 08:22 AM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Kule,

Great Post! While we all have our favorite sim, it is nice to hear from someone who has actually owned all three.

Carl
Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Z_man

Kule, can you tell me how, or direct me to a site that will tell me how, to ust the Reflex sceneries that I have downloaded the rc-sim.de site? It is fairly easy to find discussions on how to download and use the airplanes but I cannot find anything on downloading and using a new scenery.
Thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Mavpro

I received the Reflex XTR today. Im SO impressed! Only missing is 2,6 m Extra 330. Anyone who know whether it's possible to download one from somewhere?
Old 10-03-2004, 10:06 PM
computermonkey
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kule Kanain, what version of Reflex XTR do you have. I read that version 5 is out. yes, no....
Old 10-06-2004, 06:29 PM
hiflyer2

Kule: Does the XTR support all types of planes--electrics, helicopters, gliders, etc? How is it on putting in your own planes? Thanks for your very informative reply to best sim. query.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:25 PM
flassh

I own all three me too. And Reflex XTR is simply the best ! But I am waiting G3 !!!!!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:57 AM
drumbum

I own G2 and AFP. so i like AFP the best. havent tried XTR but sounds good. BUT what i would like is a sim that allows you to with EASE to program real world A/E coupling and other things that make real models fly like they do. this will greatly help me. The planes on AFP fy too PERFECT. when i want to go into a KE i want to feel the coupling like my model since i dont use mixing as a crutch. I would like to improve my flying that way UNMIXED