Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

1/4 Giles wing failure x2

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

1/4 Giles wing failure x2

Old 08-18-2002, 10:30 PM
mmorg1
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1/4 Giles wing failure x2

One month ago I lost a GP Giles 202 to a wing failure. The right wing panel snapped off and totaled the airplane. Today when I was flying my second GP 202 the wing had developed cracks at the same location the first plane shed it's wing. I have emailed GP about this problem and await their response. In the meantime I encourage pilots with this airplane to inspect the bottom of the wing for cracks and if you find them to email the problem to [email protected]
Old 08-18-2002, 11:16 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did it failure under load/heavy manouvre or just suddenly failed ?
Old 08-18-2002, 11:41 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

I had two wings fail as well although both only cracked the sheeting just behind and outboard of the plywood wing dowel plate. The first failed doing a snap at about half throttle. The second time I have no idea when it actually cracked as I had flown a full gallon in one afternoon and noticed the crack when I was disassembling for the day. I don't think it has happened very often since many people have many flights without incedent. Just our bad luck or our stlye of flying. I changed all the throws on mine to make it more patternlike versus 3D so that it lasts longer. I still enjoy flying it without the 3D capabilities.
Later,,,basmntdweller
It could be as simple as one wing builder not getting enough glue in a certain area and all the others builders doing a better job. That would be really hard for a mfr to trace down unless every part was ID'd by it's builder and GP's mfg was able to track it back to that individual and train them better.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Could you guys post pictures of the cracks?
Here is a picture of my plane.
It has 75 flights on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22071_7061.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	13888  
Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cracks

You know,
Mine developed cracks after 5 flights, not as bad as that one though, and I replaced the wing. I have been flying it all summer with no incident now and no more cracks.
I recently was practing 3D too low :-( and kind of dinged up the wing beyond repair. I was contemplating just bolting on the old one to keep on flying. I have flown it so much it doesn't justify buying a new wing again.
How long have you been flying with cracks like that?
Rick
Old 08-19-2002, 12:03 PM
lennyk

Geist,

Did you glass yours ? I see the centre monokote is cut away.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:06 PM
mmorg1

Lennyk,

when the first wing failed it was during a positive snaproll at half throttle, the manuver was not violent at all.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:03 PM
davham
My Feedback: (4)

I had the same thing happen to mine twice. Four flights into its life the wing cracked on both sides top and bottom at the LE. Called GP and they had me chop the wing up and send it back.
I got a new wing and 10-12 flights later same thing but also getting cracks in the fuse at wing mounting area.
Called again and they had me chop up the entire plane and return it. The plane flew fine with either wing just had to make thrust angle adjustments. When speaking to them on the phone they never questioned how I'd flown it and was always courteous.
As a matter of fact, they sent along a survey form to rate their customer service.
This happened back in January/February time frame. When getting the replacement kit I sold it.

Dave
Old 08-19-2002, 03:23 PM
davham

Also it shouldn't matter how you were flying when the failure happened. We should be able to fly are planes any old way we like, within reason. It's an aerobatic plane and not meant to be babied and flown in oval patterns sunny side up.
I am in no way bashing GP, I have bought their planes since and will surely buy more. They were quick and nice about the entire ordeal. GP took care of me and IMO thats about all you could ask for.
I do agree with the above post as this is few and far between. GP lower the price to $199 last December and people were suckin em up. If it were a problem you would know it on this site.

Dave
Old 08-19-2002, 04:58 PM
Robotech

Default Cracked wing

Maybe I misunderstood but are you knowingly flying an aircraft that is structurally unsound (cracked wings)? This could result in death or severe bodily injury to yourself or a spectator! Especially since you KNOW the wing will eventually fail. You might want to think about that a little more. I don't think the AMA would cover you if you had prior knowledge and diregarded safety.

I'm not trying to start anything, I would just hate to see you hurt someone and have to live with the guilt the rest of your life knowing you knowingly jeapordized and injured someone or yourself.

Hey, you can see NY from up here on the soap box!
Old 08-19-2002, 08:02 PM
basmntdweller

Giestware,
I never took any pics of mine. In the photo you posted it appears there is a small wrinkle in the covering at the corner where the dowel plate meets the rest of the leading edge. Just behind that area on the bottom of the wing is where both of mine cracked the sheeting. If that is a wrinkle on your wing I'd be checking it for flexure as well. it shouldn't be flexing there enough to generate that wrinkle.
Later,,,basmntdweller
Old 08-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Geistware

lennyk,
Yes, with the weight of a gas engine, I didn't want any failures. So the center section is glued and glassed.

basmntdweller
That small wrinkle is torn and the balsa under it is cracked. I put some CA on it (20th flight) to keep it from spreading and it hasn't gone any farther. If you look at the fit where the wing and fuselage meet, that area is soft. I was thinking of glassing the wing out to the fuselage but didn't know if that was the right thing to do. I guess I should ask Ann Marie.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:22 AM
jabowil-RCU

Default wing fit

On my Giles there is a 1/8 - 1/4" gap between the forward wing and the fuselage. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fill this gap?
TIA
Old 08-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Geistware

jabowil,
According to GP, just leave it.
It has not caused me any problems that I can tell
Old 08-20-2002, 11:08 AM
RickP

Robotech,
Please don't be offended. This is precisely why we are discussing this. I could just ignore it, and say that I didn't see it (you would be surprised at how many pilots I know take that approach). Better to talk about it and understand the problem - so if you are flying with cracked wings please let me know LOL.
The cracks appear to be surface cracks and while alarming, from the outside it appears to be just superficial. The only way to test is to destructively test it, or open the wing. I'm sure someone has the answer on this board.
Also - Dave,
While I agree with you, for 199 bucks I'll take the plane and avoid doing blenders and snap rolls. Next closest aerobatic plane is more like 330 bucks. And after all there is little stress practicing 3D on the wing, so it is GREAT for that.
Rick
Old 08-20-2002, 12:59 PM
mmorg1

RickP,

On my first giles I too thought that the cracks were just superficial, however I did eventually loose a wing at the point where the crack was. My first giles I flew well over a year every weekend, the second I have about 15 flights on the airplane and now have cracks. I love the airplane but confidence is definitly shaken.

Michael
Old 08-20-2002, 07:20 PM
mmorg1

This is the response from greatplanes:

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your Giles G202. We are not aware
of any common problems with this plane. I would recommend sending it in for
warranty inspection.

If you believe your product to be defective and under warranty replacement,
please ship it to:

Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Drive
Champaign IL 61822
(217)398-0007
[email protected]

Include a brief letter describing the problem along with a copy of your
purchase receipt. Their staff will inspect your product and will notify you
regarding their findings. If it is found to be a warranty defect, the product
will be repaired or replaced at our option at no cost to you. If it is not a
failure covered under warranty, you will be notified of your options for
return, repair or replacement.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further
questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email
address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future
questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at
217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:03 AM
RickP

Humm,
Wing set is 154 bucks. I'll have to really take a close look at the fuse and make sure it is sound before I decide to scrap it or not. The fuse also has cracks right where the wing mounts to the fuse in the front below the crack.
It hit a tree and a limb peirced through the wing, out the top and into the side of the fuse, punturing the fuel tank. Like I said that wing is toast, but I have the old ones with the cracks. It's real tempting to replace the tank, patch the hole and bolt on that cracked wing. What if I glassed the area where the cracks are? did anyone do this sucessefully, or should I write the plane off and finish the Edge?
Rick
Old 08-21-2002, 12:33 PM
yanman

Are all you guys with wing failures and cracks using gas engines? Are you using a soft mount for the engine? If you are using a gas engine without a soft mount that could be most of your problem. The fibration from the engine just may be to much for this plane. After all the recomended engine is a OS 1.60. Just my thought.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:38 PM
davham

Nope no gas, OS 160 solid mount on mine.

rickp,
Glassing might work but you might try tossing it in the corner of your shop and finish the edge. Who knows, you may like the edge better or get different ideas on what to do with the giles.
Just my thoughts
Dave
Old 08-21-2002, 02:35 PM
mmorg1

Nope no gas, magnum 1.80 solid mount. I also have cracks in the fuse where the front of the wing mounts. Has anyone else lost a wing besides me?

Michael
Old 08-21-2002, 06:24 PM
lennyk

Default fuse cracks

Are the fuse cracks on the exterior of the plane ?

In that location there is a joint of the exterior sheeting
I can actually feel the joint under the monokote.

from the way the fuse is constructed it does not appear that
the exterior sheeting add too much to the structure of the fuse
maybe more for the cosmetic curve.
It seems that the inner ply structure is the main fuse.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:58 AM
Geistware

I am using gas with a soft mount.
My second plane was on glow and I check the wing and it has cracks as well. The seem to be cause by the wide saddle. It has not cause any issues after 80 flights on one and 67 flights on the other.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:14 AM
RickP

Nope, OS 1.60 on mine too.

Hey Dave,
Thanks for the thoughts, the only reason I'm considering it is because I'm new to TR'n and Hoverin. I figure I'm due for another (as someone else so eloquently put it...) Hoveren gone bad accident. I'd rather put the Giles in for good one last time and get the additional stick time before I have to wait to get over the pucker factor with the Edge. We'll see, for now I'm flying the Stadacher.
Rick
Old 08-22-2002, 01:21 PM
Geistware

Which Stadacher are you flying?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.