Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

autogyro research

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

autogyro research

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 03:18 PM
radiohead
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autogyro research

Hello community!

I am in need of some info on autos. I can't find a good source for kits or even info on RC autos (I fly helis). I am doing research at the U of Minn and am in need of a heavy lift experiment platform. We are currently waiting for our Bergen Industrial Twin to arrive and the professor wants to do some preliminary experimenting with autos. Are there any non-scale large kits available? The Industrial Twin has a huge payload of 20lb; I'm not expecting anything that big just for preliminary tinkering. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Jake

PS If anyone's interested our project is Safe and Precise Landing found here:
http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~stergios/projects.html
Old 11-17-2004, 07:14 AM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: autogyro research

Jake,
I checked out the web site and to me it looks like you need something that will hover.. Autogyros don't do that very well.

Go to www.autogyro.com and look up "Tips for Beginners"
Good Luck,
Jim
I
Old 11-17-2004, 11:55 AM
radiohead
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the website. We would be using the autogyro as an aside; simply as a platform to test our flight programs. Right now hovering is not important, just flying slowly is. I'm gathering all the info I can for the professor to see if auto's are a resonable alternative to a helicopter since in the project the area of study are the control algorithms and not the platform. The software should, in the end, be universal allowing us to port it to different craft with few minor changes. Because the availability of a large kitted craft seems limited, we would have to design our own. I really liked the G-Stick on the autogyro.com website. That wouldn't be too hard to duplicate. I've built and flow downspout spads before . . . are there any universal rules that apply to the rotor head design? Is there an equation to calculate the angle of attack for the rotor disk? Sorry for the long posts!!

Jake
Old 11-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Lizard

Autogyro.com has http://www.autogyro.com/technic/specs.htm page. It contains most important parameters for designing an autogyro.

Ten degrees of aftertilt seems be a good starting point. I have eight degrees of aftertilt on [link=http://www.kemi.fi/kk019065/models/gyro2/index.html]my autogyro[/link]. I think the rotorhead design with two plywood triangles with plastic hinge in the middle is very simple and well working.

It might take you some time to design an autogyro. I was successfull on my second attempt to design it. Your project seems interesting. Good luck with it.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Icanifixthat

Interesting projects on your site! I don't know how far you'll get desigining your own 'Gyro for the project but in the post here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_e...2325673/tm.htm
the author seems to have avoided a lot of common gyro problems by using a helicopter rotor head with appropriate controls. Don't know how big model helos get but using off-the-shelf parts could save you a heap of trouble.