Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building a Ziroli B-25(CONDENSED VERSION)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building a Ziroli B-25(CONDENSED VERSION)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Nickrc3
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: B25

Memphisbelle,
I asked Mr. Z that same question and his response was what Roger just mentioned,
The bigger the better in my book.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Bundy

Hi

I agree that bigger is better. I'm limited by real world practicalities however. We have one of the largest family wagons available here in Australia and I can only just fit the 101" in - looks like a trailer coming up. Also building space and storage space play apart in the decision. 118" would be sweet but nothing wrong with the 101" either.

With my 2 cents worth

Richard
Old 12-05-2004, 10:35 AM
1wolf
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Lindey Are you in the scoop/stack business? I could use a couple of sets if you have them available. Let me know Thanks Glenn
Old 12-05-2004, 11:47 AM
RandyL
My Feedback: (4)

Glenn, Yes, so to speak. I've finally built some vaccum forming tables and found a source of plastic within a 100 miles.. ( that was a chase! )
I stay a few sets ahead on the Clayton Stacks most of the time and I have several sets molded right now. Let me know what you need.
I'll take any kind of money..I'm not picky. : ) Pay Pal, checks, whatever... I liked the way mine came out and wanted to make them available to anyone that wanted the extra detail on their own model.
Best to e-mail me with your wants and address etc....

Randy
Old 12-05-2004, 04:52 PM
bentwings

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bundy,

Here is how we are planning to transport my son's 118" B-25.

We load the b-25 into the GMC suburban, load the Suburban onto the trailer , hook the trailer up to my Dodge diesel dually and go flying. This way we can bring all of our toys to the field. LOL He thinks it should be the other way around but I think the Dodge and trailer would over load the Suburban. Plus, I will get better mileage pulling the whole works than he does running free.

bentwings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28899.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	199715  
Old 12-09-2004, 04:33 AM
Bundy

Hey Bentwing

Looks a little too subtle for me Here is a pic of how I'm going to have get my new 101" "Lady Lil" to the field and this is without the guns which are going to have be removeable. I did have a big old Holden wagon which would fit "yellow Rose" just but that will be no more in about a week being replaced by a brand spanking new Ford XR6 sedan - great to drive and fit kids in but no good for planes. So the ute is going to have to be it - I'm thinking of making some sort of cradle fit in the back and to lift it up above the sides - not really sure yet.

Lady Lil is going to be covered in flight metal but getting this stuff is a VERY slow process. Anyone used it before?? on a B-25???

I'll have an order for some more Clayton Stacks off to you Randy in the next few days. They really do save some time especially on Lady Lil having no collector rings.

Richard
Bundaberg, Australia

Name:	Us53574.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	201002  
Old 12-09-2004, 06:51 AM
RandyL

Slick looking ute Richard....pretty flashy carrier!

I have not used Flite Metal but a have a friend that has. You can view a bit of his project and or e-mail him with questions that you may have. His name is Hans Shull, it is possible that you have already ran across him somewhere on the Internet. If not, then go to my homepage and click of the bomber jacket in the top left corner and select "Heavy Date". He has a contact page with his e-mail addy.. you may want to check out the photos, especially page 3 ( I believe) it shows his work with Flite Metal.
Are you having a hard time actually getting the material, Flite Metal ? Usually Ed is pretty up front with everything. Let me know if I can help. Over the years I have found that some things make it down your way fairly quickly, other times it has taken up to a couple of months. I decided that it is our Customs system that seems to pull parcels at will for spot checks. I did have one package that went to Austria before making it finally to Australia..it had a bunch of post marks on it!
Make sure to e-mail me your shipping address so I can get some stacks out to you. Randy
Old 12-09-2004, 07:44 AM
1wolf

Speaking of Flite Metal Check out this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_18..._6/key_/tm.htm
It's not flite metal but it's awesome! Too bad you can only get it done in Conneticut. Randy I'll be getting that order out to you for a couple of sets in the next day or two. Has anybody come up with affordable cockpits? I am finishing 2 of these and 500 is out of my range for a few little pieces of plastic. What happened to the 20 other guys who were building 25's ???Glenn
Old 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Bundy

Hey Bentwing

Looks a little too subtle for me Here is a pic of how I'm going to have get my new 101" "Lady Lil" to the field and this is without the guns which are going to have be removeable. I did have a big old Holden wagon which would fit "yellow Rose" just but that will be no more in about a week being replaced by a brand spanking new Ford XR6 sedan - great to drive and fit kids in but no good for planes. So the ute is going to have to be it - I'm thinking of making some sort of cradle fit in the back and to lift it up above the sides - not really sure yet.

Lady Lil is going to be covered in flight metal but getting this stuff is a VERY slow process. Anyone used it before?? on a B-25???

I'll have an order for some more Clayton Stacks off to you Randy in the next few days. They really do save some time especially on Lady Lil having no collector rings.

Richard
Bundaberg, Australia
I have used Flite metal but not on a B-25 and it is gorgeous to work with and very realistic.
BTW, Nice wheels you have there.

Roger

Forgues Research
Old 12-09-2004, 02:41 PM
mikejdad
My Feedback: (39)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Ziroli 101" plans cowls ext. and two G-23 engines. I also have the lazer cut kit. If I keep reading your posts I'm going to have to start it soon. My hold up is the cost of the retracts. Are all of you using Robarts? Are there any lower cost ones than Robarts that are as good? Thanks....
Old 12-09-2004, 03:03 PM
1wolf

I am using the Gene Barton Retracts on mine. You have to move the mounting rails a little but I really like the way they are built. Cost wasn't much different. You can email him for a current price. [email protected] tell him glenn sent ya.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:38 PM
nchrome

Well guys I have a Ziroli B-25 mostly framed up and is looking quite good. But I will have to see about getting some cowels for it and I haven't made up my mind yet but it looks like I may go with fixed gear[&o]. Mostly to keep the cost down. Mine will have a couple of Ryobis to power it not sure if Im going to build the Dolittle version or what. But I do have a Dolittle GI-Joe that I picked up at of all places Farm King. Cost was about $33.00 (what a steel) flight jacket 45 pistol hat, 50 cal machine gun with an ammo belt,and a life vest with parachute. It will be a shile before I have it ready for glassing and radio gear but it will get done by 2006 Randyl I will also be interested is some of your stack for the B-25. Could you E-mail me the cost of yours and I will see what I can do here soon.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Dean-RCU

I will have images of my Flite metal covered B-25 "Old Glory" in about 2 weeks. Just waiting for the markings to come in.

Dean
Old 12-09-2004, 09:03 PM
RandyL

I could not find any interior pieces that suited me as far as cost concerns. Mine was made up of cardboard, push pins, LED's, ets. Not all that scale but it fills is the cabin and I had no complaints from other sport flyers. I can't help there....
If any of you need info on my Clayton Stacks...go to my homepage ( below ) and click on "Lady Luck"... at the top of the page you will find an orange button, click it and it will take you to the page that shows, prices, and tells about the vaccum formed stacks..
I have shipped some stacks this week but intend to make more Sunday. I'm on 6 day work week but off Sunday and the wife will be shopping.. the kitchen and oven will be mine!!!! SSSssshhhhhhhhhh......... : )
Old 12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Bundy

Hi All

What am I doing wrong to get some Flight Metal? I ordered a sample back in September and the full load for a 101" Mitchell in early November and other than the PayPal confirmations of payment have heard nothing. I emailed Ed about a week ago to find out what was happening and I got 1 liner saying the sample had been sent 2 weeks ago and no mention of the main order.

Living in Australia I get the vast majority of my building bits from America via mail and in particular Tower and have never had a problem with parcels arriving regularly in 4 -5 days so it is hard to blame the mail service.

Any ideas??

Richard
Old 12-10-2004, 10:36 PM
nchrome

Randyl I've tryed your site twice and didn't get anywhere what am I doing wrong to get to your website. It took me to homestead site but nothing there about lucky lady.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:07 AM
RandyL

I had some problems a month ago but had not heard of any recently.. I works this morning, for me... Here is the address to go directly to the B-25 page. Please try again and let me know it there is a problem.

http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com...struction.html
Old 12-11-2004, 09:11 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: Bundy Hi All What am I doing wrong to get some Flight Metal? I ordered a sample back in September and the full load for a 101" Mitchell in early November and other than the PayPal confirmations of payment have heard nothing. I emailed Ed about a week ago to find out what was happening and I got 1 liner saying the sample had been sent 2 weeks ago and no mention of the main order. Living in Australia I get the vast majority of my building bits from America via mail and in particular Tower and have never had a problem with parcels arriving regularly in 4 -5 days so it is hard to blame the mail service. Any ideas?? Richard /quote]

Hello Richard:

Your 2-AM650's, and application tools were packaged last evening for shipping. We received our first shipment of raw alumnum in seven weeks on Thursday and have been converting, packing, and shipping orders back logged to last week of Oct. US Customs and insurance ticket numbers will be emailed to you this evening. Raw aluminum turnarounds have been lengthy since the four hurricanes in the SE US late summer. We've got another shipment expected to arrive in two weeks. It appears you have not received your sample envelope. I had four sample envelopes not reach their destination in September. Occassionally we experience some Homeland Security issues with the USPS...especially crossing the Canadian border from time to time. Haven't had any delivery issues to Australia...until now. Typical Australian shipment time is four to six days.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Bundy

Hi Ed

Thanks very much for the update. It is much easier to accept delays if you know the wheels are turning somewhere and things are happening.

The hold-up has given a chance to catch-up on all sorts of other half finished projects like the 96" electric DH-88 Comet which Will flying very early in the new year. My long suffering wife has also been glad for a break in the B-25 talk of the last year and there is even a boat kit of some sort under the Xmas tree to try and break the B-25 hold - NO chance!!

Richard
Old 12-11-2004, 08:44 PM
RandyL

BOAT!!!! Don't give in to the pressure Richard..fight it! : ) Boats don't fly worth a hoot...
Old 12-13-2004, 09:50 PM
RandyL

Richard, Your Clayton stacks are on the way to you. I hope Christmas mailings don't delay your parcel for long. They went out tonight US Postal Service.. Air Mail....not standard, ground, 6 week service.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 AM
1wolf

Randy I am going to get 2 sets from you but don't worry about getting them out before xmas. Probably best to let the mail calm down a bit. I have plenty to work on till then. Will paypal soon. Thanks Glenn Steve (Selpel) may want a set also. If he does they can ship together. Your site has worked fine every time I've tried it. My site went with the old RCplanet and just haven't had time to build a new one.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Dean-RCU

Here she is in all her glory.[img][/img]

Name:	Wt59310.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	205905  
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Dean-RCU

Here are some more.[img][/img][img][/img]

Name:	Ig12311.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	205934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23704.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	205935  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Bundy

Hi All and a Happy Xmas

Clayton Stacks arrived Tuesday Randy - 7 days in the Xmas post is excellent going. Thanks heaps!! And my Flight Metal arrived - thanks Ed. This is the first time I've seen Flight Metal up close and I am really impressed. Easy to use and sure does look the part. I plan to be a little anti-social and spend a bit of time in the shed over the next few days!

A really suburb job there Dean-RCU! Do you mind if I pick your brains a little. How did you do your rivet detail - not with the Flight Metal flush riveting tool? Have you flown yet? It looks like you have the same Glennis wheel set that I have but I'm a little concerned with their weight. Mains are nearly 1lb each which is about twice the Robart's weight. After my last experience I'm sticking with the Glennis nose wheel but the Robart mains are much lighter. Thanks for the very timely and inspirational pics. Any flying pics to come?

Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.