Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

XRB Sky Robo Carbon Blades

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

XRB Sky Robo Carbon Blades

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 04:08 PM
dwi116

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRB Sky Robo Carbon Blades

Just put a set of Justar Carbon Blades on my XRB Sky Robo. The blades needed a little sanding to fit in the grips and the mounting holes needed to be opened up just a bit to prevent binding. Blades are prefectly balanced and the I've got the tracking on both the upper and lower blades just about lazer perfect. Everything is great except for the the hover. The heli will very easily get into an unstable "wobble" with the carbon blades. I've found that if I move the battery pack back and hold some forward cyclic the problem is less pronounced, but still there. When I switch back to the foam blades the prblem goes away and I'm back to the rock stable hover. What gives? I can clearly see that the "conning" or bending of the foam blades contributes to stability. Heli is brand new and has no crash damage or even a hard landing on it. Could it be a head speed problem? Do I need to decrease the pitch with the carbon blades? Is there somehwere I should look for slop in the head?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:37 PM
Thunderbirded

Default RE: XRB Sky Robo Carbon Blades

any chance the carbon blades were poorly made?
did you check to make sure the flybar was balanced?
did you make sure both paddles were the exact same weight?

maybe i have no idea what im talking about, but i do have ideas...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
stealth916

Make sure all ball link joints are moving smooth as butter, and that the flybar is seesawing through it's entire range of motion easily with no binding. The flybar ball-links should be at 40-50 degrees to each other - as per this diagram:

You may also try removing the flybar weights and see what if any effect it has.

Please keep the rest of us XRB flyers up to date on the carbon blades!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
garyleong

I have the same problem as well. Have you managed to sort out the problem? That wobble really is really doing my head in. I've been trying to get rid of it for over 3 weeks now! I found that if I move one of the paddles (I'm using the rubber ones) in or out the wobble is less pronounced but it is still there. Very annoying as the heli used to be so stable that I could hover it 1 inch away from my nose (I like the new canopy interior!) but now I don't even dare hover the bugger 6 inches away!!

What gives?!!

Gary
Old 01-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Edwrd P

I'm assuming these cf blades are well made, free off surface imperfections and each one is perfectly identical with the other. As these blades weigh substancially more than the stock foam ones, using the supplied hirobo balancer may not be good enough.

Even though the blades may appear balanced on that supplied Hirobo 'balance weigh' the individual weight might be different. For example, you can put a big piece of tape close to the pivot point of the blade for it to appear 'balanced' with the other blade. on the hand, you can also put a smaller tape but close to the tip this time, for the blades to appear balanced. Either way you'll probably end up with blades of differing weight. On the lighter foam blades, it's probably not significant enough to post any issues.

One way to do this somewhat properly, is to individually weigh the blades first, on a good commercial weighing scale. Cut out a piece of tape and stick it lightly on the lighter blade. Vary the size of that tape, until both blades weighs exactly the same. Now put the blades on the hirobo supplied balance weigh. Stick that same piece of tape, anywhere along the length of the lighter blade, until, where the two blades will appear balance.

Let me know if this works...Cheers!
Old 01-17-2005, 11:38 AM
garyleong

Thanks for that! I'll give it a go. The trouble is these blades are light and so minute differences in weight may not show up on the scales but could have a big effect. The blades are well made tho....as good as the ones I have on my piccolo and zoom.

Will let you know how I get on....

Kind regards.

Gary
Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

The stock foam blades flex/cone and enhance stability (especially in the hover). The plastic and CF upgrade blades are more responsive in FFF, but will never hover as well as the stock rotor blades. I have both the XRB tether and RC Sky Robo.