Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:36 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Just ordered a bunch of wires from Cermark for my jet...

How are you all setting up your radio installations?

Hey Bruce, what was the configuration of your wiring in the wing. What type of leads did you use?

Cheers,
Old 01-15-2005, 03:57 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim,
See post #99 above for my setup. I used Flightworks 18ga extensions

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-15-2005, 04:18 PM
tschuy

So I'm guessing that you'll use a 9 channel radio and master-slave channels 8 and 9 for flaps and ailerons?

Has anyone got their dropped shipped gear yet?

lots of questions I know....
Old 01-15-2005, 05:15 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Tim,

I am going to use "Y" Leads for both Ailerons and Flaps. I will syncronise the servos and reverse the flap servos with my Hitec Programmer.

I worked out I need four 18-24 inch extensions for the aileros/flaps, a few 12 inch extensions for the rudder , gear, brakes and one 36" extansion for my Fuel Tap. Here in Australia we have to have a radio controlled fuel tap. Mine is up the back near the UAT.

Regards
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 PM
tschuy

Hi Tommy,

Glad to hear from you and hope things are well with ya. How's things coming along with your jet? Mine I'm just finishing section 3 of the manual. That dang wing takes a while to build! Sure is a lot of balsa sheeting. Have the next three days off from work so I'll be able to get a lot done. I'm taking a lot of pictures as I build which probably slows the process too. But it was one of the goals I had as I took this thing on. Going to build a website of my experience and share it with everyone.

I went with servo extensions from www.cermark.com. went ahead and bout a 24" Y cable for the flaps, 2 - 36" cables for the ailerons which will plug into a 4" Y cable and then 4 - 24" cables and 2 18" cables. Nice thing is that they all have different color connectors which will help me with keeping which goes to where.

Have digital servo's too and will do the same as you. But still need to buy the programmer. Have it on my wish list and probably purchase with my February hobby allowance.

Lets see some photo's Have you gotten far on the covering of your yet?

Cheers,
Old 01-15-2005, 10:16 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Tim,

Well I have come to a bit of a stop. I don't want to do any more till I have it sitting on the wheels. Also I have been doing that nasty four letter word (work). As soon as I get the wheels and gear I will fit them and cover the rest of the airplane. I have covered the tail and fitted all the controls. I have fitted the aileron and flap servos but not the hinges.
It is all finished except for the wheels and mounting of the steering servo and the retract servo. I have fitted the hatchs (front and rear), I used a BVM Hatch Latch for the rear hatch as mine is bigger to cover the servo for the RC fuel tap. I just thought it would be more convenient to take the hatch right off to fuel the model. I have mounted the UAT and main fuel tank.
I have some brakes that fit the robart plastic wheels. I was not happy with them so I have made some new wheels using the robart tyres and the original brake parts. I have ordered the Kavan nosewheel brake, but I will probably use these on the main wheels.

I also moved the engine a bit farther foreward as discussed in the book. My Wren is geetting a new front with the FOD screen and covered starter. The engine that is in there now has an exposed starter and does not look as good. Wont make any difference but will look better.

Let me know how yours is coming along

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52299.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	215744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68246.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	215745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58472.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	215746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53992.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	215747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68381.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	215748  
Old 01-16-2005, 12:39 AM
TommyWatson

Tim,

I am a little annoyed with Cermark. I placed an order for all my Servo Extensions and switches and some other stuff. Over US$100.
They wouldn't accept my credit card as I am a foreign customer. They say it is because of credit card fraud from overseas countries. They want me to do a bank Telegraphic Transfer which will cost me about A$25 and require a visit to my bank.
I offered to send copies af my statement and copies of my card with no effect. I get lots of stuff from many other (Tower, BVM, SR etc), US companies with no problem.
I was forced to cancel the order. Cermark have lots of stuff that I would like to buy but they wont let me!!!. I finally ordered from Electro Dynamics.

Regards
Old 01-16-2005, 08:20 AM
tschuy

Hi Tommy,

Jet looks great and hopefully we'll get our gear sets soon from Robart. I know Bruce has been feeling bad about the whole ordeal with Robart and how it's affecting us builders. Not his fault if Robart can't live with its promise of service. Certainly will make folks think twice about purchasing the Robart product.

I've been a bit slower then you all on getting my jet together. Like you work has been interrupting that process, but things are stabilizing and I'm off for the next three days. So I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished.

Let me know if I can help you out with the orders from Cermark. I'd be happy to order them for you and have them sent your way. I'm sure we can work something out between the two of us. Don't know why Cermark is so sensitive to that stuff. Perhaps they got burnt once and don't want it to happen again.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 AM
tschuy

What's everyone opinion about FOD screens for their turbines?

I'm thinking seriously about putting one on my FTE T-500. If the engine were to ingest some crap from the field or runway and do some damage, it take a while for me to get it fixed with the limited budget that I have...

Appreciate everyones response...
Old 01-16-2005, 11:05 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, I don't want anyone to think twice about buying from Robart. Their products are first rate. The R54 is a special case because it required special struts. Yes, they have been delayed, and it's very discouraging, particularly to the half dozen or so folks who are flying through the construction of the R54. When I said "next time I will know better..." I meant I'll just have to start working with them earlier and pushing harder. I've got friends at Robart now and I think things will flow smoother next time.

One of the main design features of the R54 is the way the engine is nestled above the wing to protect it from FOD coming from below. I think it's an effective approach, but there's certainly no law against using a FOD screen as well. Might be good, extra security. Does FTE make one for their turbines?

Tommy, I could have helped out with your Cermark order too, but sounds like you've resolved it with Electrodynamics - they sell the exact same extensions, switches, etc... Pics look good!

Bruce
----------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 AM
tschuy

Thank you Bruce for the clarification. Much appreciated.

FTE doesn't have a FOD screen for the T-500, But I understand the one for the Jetcat P-70 will fit fine. One can be ordered from here: http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...roducts_id=262

Will let everyone know...
Old 01-16-2005, 11:21 AM
rcguy!

Tim,
Did you say that Robart did, in fact, drop ship the retracts to us this past week as promised?

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
tschuy

Sorry but no.

Just repeated from Bruce, that Robart told him that they would ship out by the end of the week (Friday January 14th). Hope that Robart was able to pull through with what they told Bruce. I'm guessing the hardware for mounting the gears and the pull-pull stuff for the nose wheel steering would come from Bruce.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Sorry but no.

Just repeated from Bruce, that Robart told him that they would ship out by the end of the week (Friday January 14th). Hope that Robart was able to pull through with what they told Bruce. I'm guessing the hardware for mounting the gears and the pull-pull stuff for the nose wheel steering would come from Bruce.

Cheers,
Tim,

Thanks...I'll call Robart on Monday to confirm.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

FOD screens are a good idea in any installation. For normal events the turbine is well protected. Some abnormal events, such as a nose gear collapse, gear up landing, or an off-runway excursion could cause debris to get flung up over the wing.
A FOD screen is cheap protection for the turbine.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:15 PM
tschuy

Thanks Dave,

Could you please share with everyone, what you found out?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:16 PM
rcguy!

Thanks Dave,

Could you please share with everyone, what you found out?
You bet.

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-16-2005, 12:16 PM
tschuy

Thanks Nony,

I'm getting one for my engine...These things are just a little too expensive for me to not take the necessary precautions.

Cheers,
Old 01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Sorry but no.

Cheers,
Tim,

Thanks...I'll call Robart on Monday to confirm.

Dave Rigotti
Hey Folks,
Robart drop shipped 5 or 6 sets of retracts on Friday the 14th to customers of BTE Models! Looks like progress will be made this week!

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-17-2005, 01:04 PM
tschuy

Great!!!

This is good news...

Thanks for passing it on. Right now I'm burried in sawdust from sanding. But I'm having a blast :-).

Cheers,
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
berthoud
My Feedback: (35)

Will anyone have one of these at FL Jets this year? Interested to see how it does on a p60...
Old 01-18-2005, 06:15 AM
tschuy

Sorry I won't make it due to prior commitments. Anybody else on this first batch of R54 builders planning to go?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

I am planning on going and mine may be finished by then. Depends on the load at the full time job for the next month.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 AM
rcguy!

Not planning as of today. We'll see as the R54 gets nearer to completion. WAS hoping to have it done by the the first of Feb. Don't want to rush it just to fly in Florida. BUT ...ya never know......

Dave Rigotti
Old 01-18-2005, 07:30 AM
tschuy

Well I'm just about done with my wing. Glued the center spars last night and will sheet the center section today. Sure takes a while to put that wing together. But hey I've enjoyed the process. Just wish work would leave me alone long enough to where I can put some real time into this thing. Tail feathers and fuselage will go much faster. Here's a couple of pictures:

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45074.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	216910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32379.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	216911  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.