Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

ACE Add-A-Trickle (All winter?)

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

ACE Add-A-Trickle (All winter?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 04:21 PM
redneck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACE Add-A-Trickle (All winter?)

I have my (3) planes and (1) computer radio hooked-up to (3) Ace "Add-A-Trickle" (between the chargers and the planes \ radio). These things are great for keeping my batteries up and ready to fly at a moments notice. They will charge my batteries back-up after flying in about 8 hours. After that they kick over to a low "trickle" rate. I fly 2 to 6 times a week during the nice weather months here in Missouri. My question is this: How long is too long to keep these things hooked-up without flying. The instructions lead you to believe that you can keep your batteries fresh indefinitely, but how about during the winter months. I may not fly for 4 months and I'm wondering if I should just keep everything hooked-up for that length of time. I realize that the batteries will discharge at a slow rate during non-use periods, but is the add-a-trickle going to replace the charge at exactly that same rate ?? Or close enough to not worry about it ??
Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: ACE Add-A-Trickle (All winter?)

As long as they are putting in at something between 1/10th and 1/20th of the capacity you should be OK. Actually if you are not going to be flying for a few months, just let the batteries set. Then give them an overnight charge before you go flying.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I once read here (heck, it might have been Red who posted it...)

but another way to do a trickle (which I agree, isn't really necessary) is to plug your batteries into your wall wart as normal (why is it called a wart? but I digress) and then plug the wart into a normal house light timer and then set the timer to "turn on" for an hour or two each day....
so there is a little trickle for a couple hours each day, but not 24/7.......
Old 01-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

I once read here (heck, it might have been Red who posted it...)

but another way to do a trickle (which I agree, isn't really necessary) is to plug your batteries into your wall wart as normal (why is it called a wart? but I digress) and then plug the wart into a normal house light timer and then set the timer to "turn on" for an hour or two each day....
so there is a little trickle for a couple hours each day, but not 24/7.......
That is my favorite way of taking care of the packs. Used by 100's of modelers with good reports.

Wall wart = black ugly bump on the wall. I have no idea of who coined the phrase, but he should be in the AMA hall of fame.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)