Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Need some help! Thinking about starting RC.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Need some help! Thinking about starting RC.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:28 PM
slug_nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help! Thinking about starting RC.

Hey everyone! I am a newbie and I'am thinking on buying an RC car or Truck.
Anyways....I'am leaning to get a truck since I live out in the country. I need some help in a good Gas powered truck. I'am thinking of buying used off Ebay and/or the classifieads. Could you guys recommend some good trucks with decent/powerful engines.
Another question will I want 4x4 or 2x4? I kinda like to have fun back at the moto-x track climbing hills and going through gulleys. But I love to spin tires to and 2 wheel drive is fun. Also we do have jumps out at my house so I will be jumping it abit.
I'am willing to spend around 500 Canadian on a used one possibley more.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
slug_nut

Default RE: Need some help! Thinking about starting RC.

Come on guys/gals I need some recommend trucks that would be good to buy. I'am not sure what would be good or not?
What is a good company of RC trucks
Old 02-02-2005, 03:11 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then go talk to someone about trucks in a truck forum.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:00 AM
AgCat1982

What ever made you think this was the truck rc forum? They can give you lots of help. No one can, here. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:04 PM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

REVO from www.ultimatehobbies.com or towerhobbies.com.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the "GENERAL DISCUSSIONS" forum. This is as good a place as any to ask his question. Besides, he's leaning toward a truck but hasn't decided yet.

Being you're looking around $500 Canadian and being a new hobbiest, I'm going to strongly suggest going new rather than used (risk of problems is too great for your first vehicle). It is always better to learn nitro with a new engine (starting with the proper break-in procedure) than a used engine that may be worn out, have air leaks, etc.

Check out www.greathobbies.com (they're Canadian and so are their prices).

Some good choices would be
2wd
traxxas stadium maxx (can be converted to 4wd)
traxxas sport maxx (can be converted to 4wd)
rc10gt rtr
nitro evader st

4wd
traxxas t-maxx
savage 25
kyosho mad force

4wd 1/8 scale buggy
gs storm rtr (great radio comes with it)
Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Ahab

I would say that if you want to play on a moto-x track you will need an 1/8th monster truck or you will have a hard time with the ruts that the crosser guys will have left in the dirt.

the HPI Savage 25 is probably going to be your best bet. It is one of the few 1/8th Monster Trucks to be designed specificly for "Bashing"(just playing with RC not racing). The Savage is known for being one of the most durable Monsters around.

the Traxxas Revo mentioned above would also be an OK choice, but it is more of a race bred truck than a basher, and it is slightly smaller than the Savage too.

If you are going to look into Nitro Monster Trucks you shoudl probably know that there is a long running rivalry between Traxxas owners and HPI owners ( I have a savage), so it is best to take whatever we say about the "other lot" with a pinch of salt. basicly the argument goes:

Traxxas(revo, t-maxx): are Faster but more likely to break (t-maxx has a very bad rep for this)

HPI(savage21,25,-28 - coming soon): *Very* tough and durable, but slower than most other MT's.

....there is also the Associated MGT and Losi LST to look at before you decide on one.

I would also strongly urge you to forget about getting a second hand Nitro RC - there are lots of people who will buy one, know nothing about them and do serious damage to their engine - and then, when faced with a $200 bill for a new powerplant just put them up for sale. RC is huge fun, so you really have to ask yourself why they are selling it....
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

If you buy used Id recomend going to the LHS and looking their first, at least you will able to test it out to see if everything is still in working order.

You can get some great deals buying stuff used, I got my t-maxx for $250 (ready to run) with extras (bodies, tires/wheels, hop-ups, spare parts, some fuel, etc.) and I got a guy wanting to sell me a savage (the older .21 model) for $150 (ready to run).
Old 02-03-2005, 04:21 AM
c0br4

I would reccomend getting a hpi rush evo to start off with. they are easy to use and the hpi's come with a dvd to help you with the break in and tuning
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 AM
r1p_s4w

I would def buy new. why buy somebody elses problems? The Savage and Revo would both be great choices. I went theu the same decisions a few weeks ago... I bought a OFNA Ultra LX Comp, its a 4x4 buggy and I love it!!! It does need a stronger steering servo and rechargeables for the Tx and Rx, but is very very drivable right out of the box. You will also need batteries, fuel and a small fuel bottle for refills , 3 or 4 extra glow plugs and wrench and igniter. Also a exacto # 11 knife to cut out those small decals if u want to put them on. What ever you do dont forget to oil the air filter and break in the eng properly. If I was gonna buy the truck I would have bought the Savage .25 but I am into this buggy for $ 350. usd
Old 02-03-2005, 11:11 AM
ndeepoffroad

You can get a CEN MT2 brand new like I did with all the accesories and stuff to get going for like $450 American (don't know Canadian!)...I have had nothing but fun with mine and I have bashed it HARD...Yeah, I've broke stuff, but if you search on here for upgrades you can fix most of it yourself for CHEAP....

ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER IS PARTS AVAILABILITY IN YOUR AREA!! WHAT BRAND DOES YOUR LHS SELL??? WHAT BRANDS DO THEY CARRY PARTS FOR?? I would consider this a BIG factor, because you WILL break stuff, and why wait for the mail to come when you can run into town and get what you need there?

HAVE FUN...

OH, AND DEFINATELY GO 4x4, because if you don't like it, you can always make it a 2x4! But 4x4 handles sooo much better and will climb and stuff alot better!