Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:33 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

I just got word from Wren Turbines in England that my Wren 54 has now been upgraded to a Mk3. This means 14 pounds of thrust for the same size and weight. It also includes a new (better looking) case and exhaust and a new FOD screen and starter. Should look great under the R54.

My R54 is now standing on its wheels at last. Covering starts soon.

Who is going to be first to fly their 54??

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72175.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	223305  
Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ezflyr

Hi Dave,

Sorry, this is a little bit OT, but since you're idle waiting for your turbine to show up (), here goes:

I really like your R54 covering job/color scheme! Can you tell me the order that you covered it, and the colors you used? Did you start with an overall covering job, and then trim it out, or how did you get the multi-color effect (particularily the wings)? Can you provide some details?

Thanks!

John
John,
Not off topic at all. The covering is Monokote all the way. All pieces are seperate with no or little overlap. The gold trim tape takes care of the seams. The wings are fully sheeted in anticipation of the color scheme. I cover in the usual order...bottom first and work forward. All seams face down, out, or aft. 1 25 foot roll of White, 2 6 foot rolls of Missile Red, and 1 6 foot roll of Royal Blue. The "canopy" is aluminum. 2 rolls of 1/4" Gold Carl Goldberg tape on the seams. Turned out pretty well for a flying machine...NOT a Toledo finish though. I made card stock templates of the sunbursts both for the white and blue. The sunburst is on the top only for visual orientation in flight. The stab and fin are identical top and bottom. The red leading edge stops short of the tip to allow the white to show. Makes a great visual reference when dropping below the tree line on final...sorta like solar powered landing/tip lights! A tip I used when I flew Pattern competition in the late 70's early 80's. The covering added @ 11ozs to the bare airframe.
Military jet colors were never considered as being way too drab. 53 year old eyes don't need THAT handicap! I'm not blind mind you...It's just that I'm flying a model that's worth more than the car I drive at the moment!

Hope this helped!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-01-2005, 09:44 PM
tschuy

All the pieces to the fuselage are glued on and well into the sanding process. Anyone want to come over and help me with the shop vac?

Tomorrow its cutting out the hole for the nose wheel well and 220 sanding.

Made myself a neat little tool which gave me a perfect 30 degrees for drilling the hole for the rudder cable.

Cheers,

Name:	Us55274.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	223798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx77093.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	223799  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: tschuy

All the pieces to the fuselage are glued on and well into the sanding process. Anyone want to come over and help me with the shop vac?

Tomorrow its cutting out the hole for the nose wheel well and 220 sanding.

Made myself a neat little tool which gave me a perfect 30 degrees for drilling the hole for the rudder cable.

Cheers,
Nice idea!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
rcguy!

Hey Folks,
Guess what showed up today right on schedule! Yup..my new JetCat P60!
Bruce is sending the mount.

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Ol31478.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	224644  
Old 02-03-2005, 09:29 PM
tschuy

That's awesome Dave!

Bet you've had a grin on from ear to ear all day today...

Cheers,
Old 02-03-2005, 09:49 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: tschuy

That's awesome Dave!

Bet you've had a grin on from ear to ear all day today...

Cheers,
NOT ALL day... Just got back in town from business. Hoping the mount arrives tomorrow so I can get it installed. Bruce tells me that some drilling and tapping is required to fit the P60 to the R54. I'll post pics of course! I'm making arangements to visit with some experienced turbine guys..(JetCat to boot!) this Sunday. I'll keep you posted. NICE LOOKING TURBINE!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 PM
rcguy!

Well...The P60 is installed and we'll run her up tomorrow. I have some help with a experienced JetCatUSA flier. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow...Heck we might even have a short video of the first spool up! In the meantime look at the pics below. They are the turbine and support install.

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Rp42915.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	225516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83442.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	225517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20996.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	225518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96126.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	225519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30326.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	225520  
Old 02-06-2005, 06:14 PM
rcguy!

Hey gang,
We got the P60 to fire up today. Took several trys as we had to adjust the kerosene pump voltage at idle. Nick Yuhasz and Gary Nichols were a tremdous help! They checked the plane out "head to toe". Caught one line not safety wired to the nipple. Had a bit of trouble getting the retracts to lock down we I got there. Took us about 10 minutes to find the problem.......I drilled a 1/16 hole for the gas valve mounting screws...yup right into the Robart air tank! DOHHH! You can see this valve is the pictures above .....4th from the left.

Nick took some time to show me the JetCat 5.0 ECU stuff. Before we left for the day he had me review safety proceedures and do a start sequence "all by myself!" I taxied around the driveway to get a bit of feel for the throttle response. I guessed the slam time was about 3 seconds or so. Nick has the JetCat software and we downloaded the run to it and got a slam time of not quite 3 seconds! I'm very pleased with the P60 operation. Idle RPM of 55,000 and it maxed at 162,000.

Well I gotta go and order a new Robart air tank and the JetCat software! Keep building because the first time YOUR turbine lights off and runs...IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

Thank You Nick and Gary!

I'll post a video of a startup as soon as I get it into the computer.

Dave "still grinning" Rigotti

Name:	Zx70280.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	225811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96653.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	225812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv52964.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	225813  
Old 02-06-2005, 06:23 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Dave, glad to hear the P-60 worked for you. The max rpm of 162K is 3,000 below the factory default max rpm limit. Did you guys turn the engine down? Just curious here, no issue if you did. If you didn't I would run it again and let is sit at full throttle for a few seconds to reach the max rpm and let the ecu learn the fuel pump voltage limits at full throttle. These can vary slightly from our test stand due to differences in the drag on your fuel system.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Dave, glad to hear the P-60 worked for you. The max rpm of 162K is 3,000 below the factory default max rpm limit. Did you guys turn the engine down? Just curious here, no issue if you did. If you didn't I would run it again and let is sit at full throttle for a few seconds to reach the max rpm and let the ecu learn the fuel pump voltage limits at full throttle. These can vary slightly from our test stand due to differences in the drag on your fuel system.
John,
Good point. We really didn't have it running at WOT for any real length of time. I'm pretty sure the software graphs showed low 160's, not 165,000. We did not turn it down..that I know of. Nick was very good "getting into and around" the ECU. I'll check IF it got reduced in error. Nick was very impressed with this "little" engine. He was grinning almost as much as I was! SLAM time (the lack of) blew him away! Methinks he's gonna get one!
Is there a "break in" required?

BTW...Can Exxon (BP) 2380 turbine oil be used instead of Aeroshell 500?

We also talked about making a FOD screen and got some measurements from the turbine body.
I'll TRY to call you tomorrow on placing an order...

Thanks for your help!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Dave,

Looks like you will be the first to fly his R54.!!!!

I just got back from the post office and look what I found, My Wren 54 converted to Mk3. New case and exhaust, new compressor and new starter and FOD screed.
and 14 pounds of thrust!!!!

I can't wait!!!.

Regards

Name:	Tr51261.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	225887  
Old 02-06-2005, 10:48 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

G'Day Dave,

Looks like you will be the first to fly his R54.!!!!

I just got back from the post office and look what I found, My Wren 54 converted to Mk3. New case and exhaust, new compressor and new starter and FOD screed. I can't wait!!!.

Regards
Not sure on the first to fly.....BUT I LOVE the WREN 54 FOD screen! Keep at it!

Dave "still grinning" Rigotti
Old 02-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave / John:

I'll check the saved download on the PC for the actual highest rpm's on the P-60 tomorrow and let you guys know. The graphs aren't that accurate.

Great job on the setup, Dave - made the 1st start up easy!

John: Amazing little turbine that P-60! After getting used to the size and spool up times of P-80's, P120's and a P-160, it was quite a surprise ......

Nick
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Nick Yuhasz

Dave / John:

I'll check the saved download on the PC for the actual highest rpm's on the P-60 tomorrow and let you guys know. The graphs aren't that accurate.

Great job on the setup, Dave - made the 1st start up easy!

John: Amazing little turbine that P-60! After getting used to the size and spool up times of P-80's, P120's and a P-160, it was quite a surprise ......

Nick
Okie Dokey! Nick...The software is the "RS232 Interface" on JetCat's website?

I'll admit..I'm anal on the install...but without your help and encouragement...It would have been alot tougher!..ALMOST as tough as pushing the tubing onto those fittings! :-))

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go Dave! All sounding good so far, congrats! The big picture here is that it's always helpful to have some experienced minds around when you fire up your first turbine. No matter how long you've been in the hobby, there's still a lot to learn with these engines. And no matter how "anal" you are with the install, a second pair of eyes never hurts. Were Nick and Gary buddies of yours before, or did you track them down? Either way, it was very generous of them to volunteer their time.

Bruce
-----------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Way to go Dave! All sounding good so far, congrats! The big picture here is that it's always helpful to have some experienced minds around when you fire up your first turbine. No matter how long you've been in the hobby, there's still a lot to learn with these engines. And no matter how "anal" you are with the install, a second pair of eyes never hurts. Were Nick and Gary buddies of yours before, or did you track them down? Either way, it was very generous of them to volunteer their time.

Bruce
-----------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Bruce,
Nick saw my posts in this thread and openly offered to help. I met Nick and Gary for the first time yesterday, the 6th. Great guys and have helped make this first spool up most enjoyable. We'll be getting in contact, with Nicks help, some fellas who fly from a quiet County airport for the test flights near where I live.
Stay Tuned!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2005, 01:16 PM
tschuy

Way to go Dave!!!

That engine looks great on the R54. Quick question for you though...How did the CG come out with the lighter weight engine?
Sorry to hear about the air bottle but stuff like that happens. I'm planning to just use heavy duty Velcro on my valves as Bruce suggested. If I'm not happy with then will go with zip ties. But the industrial strength Velcro is some strong stuff.

I've been off the scene for a bit. But I've been busy working on mine. Now into the covering process which is going well. Will have pictures for everyone when I'm done. Have a couple of detail type items planned which should look pretty nice. Have the pressure on me now since I've been invited to a Mall show with the Super King hanging from the Mall ceiling and they have asked that I bring and run my R54. Should be pretty cool.

Cheers,
Old 02-07-2005, 04:30 PM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Redman

Dave, glad to hear the P-60 worked for you. The max rpm of 162K is 3,000 below the factory default max rpm limit. Did you guys turn the engine down? .....
John / Dave: I checked the actual log file and the highest rpm on the first run was 164,850 at 635 C with the pump voltage at 2.15 volts.

Dave you can turn on the ECU / GSU and check the highest rpm's on the last run of the day (you know, the one you did entirely on your own! Hoorah!!!!)

Nick
Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 PM
rcguy!

Nick,
I hooked up the GSU and "all by myself" got the following info within 1 minute!

647C MAX temp
165,600 MAX RPM
2.15V MAX pump Volts
.35V MIN pump Volts

It was cool scrolling thru the data like fuel used, avg temp, avg volts, run time, etc. Should make filling out a log very easy.

I'll call you in a bit. Worked very late today and going to have a bit of dinner.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2005, 08:56 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

All parameters look great. Go fly that beast and let the world know how it turns out.[sm=RAINFRO.gif]

Good luck on the maiden.[sm=cool.gif]
Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, I've just today ordered my R54 from Bruce. I've been playing with my JDE/Wren 54 with manual start and am getting comfortable with the start-ups. So I've joined the turbine ranks.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:03 PM
TommyWatson

Come On Dave, Time to get it in the air. You will be first!!!!. We need a full report and video.

Regards
Old 02-07-2005, 09:25 PM
rcguy!

John/Tommy,
Great little turbine! Yeah Yeah...Looking at the weather for Cleveland, Ohio on Saturday or Sunday looks like a heat wave is moving thru with a high temp of 35 degrees! UGH! We'll see what shakes out. I'm with you...Fly the Damn thing.."Bust the you know what!" Join the turbine FLIERS club. Of course a quick 8 hr drive and I'll be in Sandford, NC with a transplanted flying buddy. Hmmmmm.

Now IF only the new Robart air tank arrives in time....

I am working on a video of MY first startup. Have it on high 8 tape.
Heck..I'll even show the part where I taxi into the driveway light! Gotta ding the LE sometime...just got it over with early :-))

Thanks for ALL of your help end encouragements!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2005, 09:28 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Well, I've just today ordered my R54 from Bruce. I've been playing with my JDE/Wren 54 with manual start and am getting comfortable with the start-ups. So I've joined the turbine ranks.
You'll love the kit! Plenty of info in this thread. "Overlook" the retract delivery delays. We're to help.

WHERE in Eastern Ohio?????? Anywhere near Chesterland in Geauga County?

Dave Rigotti

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.