Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > User Product Reviews
Reload this Page >

Richmond RC and VMAR Engine Test Stand (Critical Failure)

Notices
User Product Reviews Post a full review of your latest kit, ARF, heli, engine, radio, whatever! Read what others have to say about them.

Richmond RC and VMAR Engine Test Stand (Critical Failure)

Old 09-09-2002, 06:33 PM
dolby04
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Richmond RC and VMAR Engine Test Stand (Critical Failure)

Please BE-WARE!
Just recently purchased the VMAR Engine Test Stand from Richmond RC for what looked to be a nice piece for the shop at $17.95 plus shipping. This test stand, quoted as "Accommodates 2 and 4 stroke engines from .09 or less to 1.80 cu. in. or more!" just isn’t true at all. To start off my test stand endeavor, I removed the semi-assembled pieces from the box to reveal a less than expected quality in craftsmanship (my over expectation, I’m sure). While assembling the structure, to the crude at best set of instructions, I noticed that many of the pre-drilled holes were off center from what was obviously designed at one time, etc. After assembling the stand and looking for dimensions for my Saito 1.80 4 stroke engine I found that the stand would indeed house, but just by a sliver at the maximum range of adjustment for the stand. Point #1: (the test stand it not large enough for anything bigger that 1.80 MAX and not even that, as I will describe in further detail). After “SECURELY” mounting it to a heavy table and rigging the fuel and throttle linkages, verifying the balance of my new Mejlik carbon-fiber prop, I started the engine and began to tune away. After running it at high throttle setting for less than 3 minutes my brother also standing behind the engine (thank GOD) noticed in a matter of 500ms that the engine was coming loose of the stand. After we both ducked and headed away (maybe 2 seconds total) it was all over. The engine was in the lawn and the prop was in pieces, along with half of the aircraft supporting holders on my brothers flight box that was on the ground in front of the occurrence. The two laminated wood adjustable engine supports that were ADEQUATELY sandwiched together as engineered, separated, and that was the point of failure. Needless to say, and with pictures to prove, (will be posted along with this thread in a couple of days all over RcUniverse) Point #2: I will contact Richmond RC and let them know that I will accept the REPLACEMENT cost for the (Engine Test Stand $27.50, the Mejlik 17x10 prop $40.00, and a new flight box $48.00, Dirty underwear (no charge)) to be made to myself within a timely manner or I will bring suit against them. Money is not an object and is never more important that principle in these types of situations. They have misrepresented a product that is insufficiently engineered for their specifications of engine allowances. I am glad that I have not bought any other VMAR product nor will I ever !!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 07:19 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I must disagree. I bought this stand a year ago and have broken in about 7-8 motors on it from 46 size to saito 150 size. The smaller engines I just hold the thing to a platform with clamps, The larger ones I screw in. For the money It has been great. Of course you allways need to be aware of screws coming loose due to vibration etc and you may have to add a bolt here or there but for 18 bucks it has served me very well. Personally I wouldnt put anything bigger than a 150 on it though. I also ran wood screws thru the bottoms of the wood engine supports for extra strength.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Brylee

Dolby I had the same thing happen to me as I was breaking in my Saito 100. One of the wood blocks holding the engine mount seperated as I was running the engine. It loooked like there were just two dowels holding the top and bottom of the block together. Luckily I was able to shut the engine down but it was scary watching the engine tilt to one side held up by only one side of the stand.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:52 PM
SloFlight-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default I was there

Dolby is my bro, I was there....and let me tell ya...I definitly needed to change my shorts after that one. Its exactly as you say...the wood mounts for the engine came apart at the "lamination point" where the 2 dowels were...on BOTH sides at the SAME TIME. The engine just "Walked" upwards when me and my bro dove backwards just as the engine flew off the mount (wood blocks still attached to the motor mount) and corkscrewed 25 feet out into my lawn...cutting the top off my flight box. Scary

I for one will NEVER purchase anything from VMAR. So much for the first link that pops up on google when ya type in "RC Engine Test Stand"!!!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:55 PM
OUTCAST

Vmar again, Hmmmmm. Why doesn't this surprise me? ;-{
Old 09-10-2002, 12:21 AM
Rex Rutledge
My Feedback: (4)

Glad that no one got hurt with the incident! I almost had to change my underwear just reading your account!

I realize this is a little late, but if your still in the need of a really quality test stand, I would highly recommend you try the folks at PSP Inc.! Their test stand is more expensive, but I can't imagine ever having any problem with their equipment. I have one and I
guarantee you will like it. I also have a friend that has run his ZDZ 80 on his stand with the attachment for the bigger gas engines. Very nice folks too!

Take a look: http://www.pspmfg.com/

Rex Rutledge
Old 09-10-2002, 12:43 AM
thecelt1347

Default vmar stand

just my luck, ordered one and it will be here tomorrow!!
Old 09-10-2002, 09:31 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Thank you very much for the PSP web site Rex

Doug
Old 09-10-2002, 12:51 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Comparing a 80 dollar stand to an 18 dollar stand isnt really fair. I will agree VMAR should probably change the wording and limit there stands to 120 size engines for safety sake. You can just look at it and know it's not strong enough for a 180. But once again for breaking in smaller engines I have found it to be worth the money
Old 09-10-2002, 01:34 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default Tsk.

Not nice, manfred.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:55 PM
dolby04
My Feedback: (3)

Default PICTURES OF THE EVENT

All Interested,

Below is a link where you can find several detailed pictures of the event and aftermath

http://www.chadfrisby.com/teststand/index.html

Thanks for all comments,

Dolby04
Old 08-06-2003, 12:16 PM
amissville

Default vmar-richmondrc

Sorry about your problems with the test stand - I also purchased something from them and although its not even close to your situation I noticed in your article you related that you had "contacted' them. How did you do this? There isn't any E-mail address or phone nbr on their website. I ordered a Balsa stripper from them for my Grand-son three weeks ago and haven't heard anything from them. I would appreciate any info you have --Thank you Mike Burnett e-mail [email protected]
Old 08-06-2003, 01:04 PM
Jim C.

link no worky....
Old 03-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Flyer Freq

Default RE: Richmond RC and VMAR Engine Test Stand (Critical Failure)

It is time to resurect this thread! After a recent positive review of the Vmar test stand, a friend of mine purchased the item. The holes did not align, the wood blocks were different thicknesses and the L brackets did not even measure 90 degrees. The spacing between the L brackets is far to wide to even contact the wood blocks, which is a must for a solid mount. It is literally impossible to put this stand together without a total rework. The stand is on my workbench, and I would not trust it with anything over an .049, if you could get it together. It is terrible! I can't believe there have not been serious injuries from this product. It should be removed from the market imediately! Anyone that has had a positive response from this product got lucky! It is obvious that the inconsistent quality from Vmar continues!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:29 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where, pray tell, was the "positive review" located?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 03-10-2004, 10:18 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Where, pray tell, was the "positive review" located?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Never read the RCU Magaine, huh?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=311
Old 03-11-2004, 11:53 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I forwarded a copy of this thread to Erick Royer on the day the review appeared. It sounds like a real liability issue for RCU, but I never heard back from him and the review is still there.

Maybe he never got it.

Jim
Old 03-11-2004, 12:57 PM
tiggerinmk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I must've got lucky Whilst I wouldn't extoll copious amounts of praise on this product, it did at least go together ok for me and has held up so far through several engines.
The largest engine I've used were a Saitio 72 and OSFS70. I may use it for a run of my Irvine 72 when I get it, but nothing bigger than that.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Flyer Freq

Yes, I'm afraid it was on our favorite website, RCU. I was afraid my comments might be removed if I mentioned where I saw it. I just wanted to get the word out so no one got hurt.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:59 PM
thepope
My Feedback: (1)

I bought one of these stands and one of the wood firewalls fell apart while I was putting it together. I bought it based on the review I read here on RCU as well. The overall quality was less then impressive. I had to redrill most of the holes and the bolts etc were junk. I know I could have repaired it but it ticks me off to pay good money and get junk. Fortunatley I contacted HobbyHobby.com and they told me to return it. They refunded the whole price including shipping. I'm just glad it broke before I had an engine on it running at full throttle [&:]
Old 03-21-2004, 12:06 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For my Saito 180 I'll build my own test stand. I'll use 2x4's, thick ply wood, 3 inch wood screws and glue. I trust myself more than any cheapo mfr. I'm glad you guys didn't get hurt and were able to come back here to warn us. Thanks!!!

Joe
Old 03-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Flyer Freq

I attended a swap meet/auction yesterday and came across a group of guys standing in a circle talking about the review and the lack of quality in the stand. I think two of the guys had bought one. They were pretty angry. I know a lot of people are beginning to doubt any reviews they read. I guess I am one of them.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Rex

Ditto on the PSP mount! I bought the optional vertical plate for mine to run my Saito Twins, all the way up to the 300 Twin!

I even put my Zenoah G45 on it and it performed flawlessly.

One reason for its' ruggedness, Metal!

It's all aluminum with square steel engine clamps about 5/16" x 5/16"

This will never fall apart.

A little pricey but it will last a lifetime!

Bob
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Spaceclam

you can contact them at [email protected]
they usually have very good support, but their products suck, and while they offer many good suggestions on how to correct the problem, they act like they dont know what you are talking about. when i told them that my 60 size cap came out at 9 lbs iwth all the light stuf in it he had no clue and though my scale was broken. i have had bad experiances with vmar also. most people who have bought one have vowed to turn all existing vmars into scrap by now. i lsot my wing in mid flight, 600 feet up due to faulty workmanship. the only reason my ys 110 survived the crash was because it landed in soft ash (the simi valey fires had gone through not a week before and it rained the previous day) so everything made it .... but the plane and a couple cheap servos. if any of you guys are interested, pm me and i will send you a copy of one of my painfully sarcastic emails i sent them in my post-incident pissy moods
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
The MacDaddy
My Feedback: (10)

I was going to order one of these.....not any more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.