Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Composite Arf 2.6 M Extra aileron differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Composite Arf 2.6 M Extra aileron differential

What kind of aileron differential have you guys found optimum on the 2.6M extra?
Jim O
Old 02-15-2005, 10:26 PM
fishgod
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite Arf 2.6 M Extra aileron differential

Jim,
I'm sure there are probably a few people that fly the 2.6 in this area but you probably will get a quicker response from the giant scale formum. I know there are a couple of huge threads over there about the 2.6.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:38 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved this thread to the IMAC forum where it will be seen by more Comp ARF pilots.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:39 PM
Flyfalcons

....like me. I am running about half the negative differential that the manual calls for. I forget if the manual calls for 10% or 20% negative differential but once I got my differential dialed in the plane flew much better.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

Ryan,

Thanks for sharing the information on the aileron differential.

Have you dialed in your rudder to elevator mix? I recently acquired a 2.6 Extra and just started flying the bird and the mix required for knife edge is definately non-linear. If you have dialed in your rudder to elevator mix, would you mind sharing your findings?

Thanks,
Old 02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Flyfalcons

Matt, when I first started flying my Extra the CG was a little aft for good IMAC flying; I think it was about 1" behind the spar with the canopy removed. Since then I added the spinner and a larger battery pack for the ignition, which brought the CG closer to the spar and resulted in better IMAC characteristics at the expense of really great 3D qualities. However, the knife edge coupling was in my opinion, severe for an Extra with the aft CG setting. I had about 10% rudder-elevator mixing and 4-5% of negative rudder-aileron mixing when I started flying my plane. The mix required for right rudder is different than left rudder. Now that the CG is close to the spar, my mixes have been dropped about 3-4% for the elevator. The aileron mixes are the same as before. This plane has, in my opinion, a little too much dihedral, which would explain the aileron mixing. My other two Extras (H9 330L and Midwest) required zero miing for a straight knife edge. Bear in mind that on IMAC rates I am running just enough rudder to hold a high speed knife edge and just be able to get the plane to snap during a snap roll.

As far as the linearity of the mix is concerned, there is a definite difference between IMAC and 3D rates on my plane. If I was really high speed (and I'm not), I would set the rudder-elevator mix to be active only when the rate switch is on IMAC rates, and set up a second rudder-elevator mix on a point curve to ativate when the rate switch is on 3D rates. With the 9C this is pretty easy to do. The rudder-aileron mix is not as sensitive as rudder-elevator, and I don't see the need to change that between IMAC and 3D rates. I have the second point mix already running for throttle-elevator (position 1 (low stick) mixed to -2% elevator). Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

Ryan,

Thanks for the info. Currently I only need about 3% rudder to elevator mix for straight knife edge flight and roll coupling is very minor. It gets horrible when I input a bunch of rudder for a knife edge loop, the amount of pitch coupling is very severe. I will get it mixed out, it will just take quite a few flights to dial in the multipoint mix.

So far, I really like the plane, flat spins are amazing.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:18 AM
santi
My Feedback: (32)

I have the second point mix already running for throttle-elevator (position 1 (low stick) mixed to -2% elevator). Hope this helps.
Do you have this mix on at all times even landings?

Thanks,
Santi