Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F15 with Jetcat P80

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F15 with Jetcat P80

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:52 PM
clguru
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow F15 with Jetcat P80

How would the Yellow F15 fly with a P80?
Do you think it would be underpowered?
And can anyone who has built one give a heads up on how it flies, problems building ETC?

Thanks Dan
Old 02-20-2005, 09:20 PM
DEVILDOG
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Yellow F15 with Jetcat P80

Hi Dan. I looked at a clip of a SM F-15 with a P-80. It flew very nice.
It seems from other talk that it might be a little under powered for extreme verticle, but in the clip it seemed to go pretty good.

Yellows doesn't weigh as much from seeing the specs on both.
I'm in the process of detailing my Yellow F-15. It will be ready for me to paint by this weekend.

I have had no problems with the build. I have a P-120 for mine. That should let her go verticle right from rotation.

It should way no more than 20lbs. and with 27lbs of thrust, well she'll be just fine.

I have built almost all of Yellows kits. They are very nice!

Good luck

Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I'm not sure that the projected weight that the spec sheet claims is realistic. My first one was built bone stock, and came in at about 23 lbs. dry. With about 120 ounces of fuel, that brought the t.o.w. to close to 30 pounds. The first time this airplane was flown on turbine power (at least the production kit), it was flown with a standard P-80 putting out about 17.5 pounds of thrust. With the loss in the pipe bifurcation, I'm guessing it had about 16 pounds coming out of the back. The takeoff/climbout was rather labored, but it clipped along well once on the step and cleaned up. All told, I felt like the plane was very OK at standard altitudes/temperatures. On the way home from Superman, we stopped in Vegas and flew on a very hot day, and the plane was a pig. If you've got one of the later P-80s that can do 19 pounds, you'd be quite alright on that engine. The airplane definitely flies on its wing.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:06 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Curious if the reason your asking is because you already have a P80?
I was going to try that but I put the P120 in instead!
Shaun not sure if I'll be done in time for BTW...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35185.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	232392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67095.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	232393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12596.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	232394  
Old 02-21-2005, 09:11 AM
clguru
My Feedback: (5)

I don't have an engine yet, but we're talking $1200 in the cost of the total project.
Thats enough to cover the costs of attending a few events.
I was just curious, if using the small motor would be worth it, with the loss of performance and all !!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

I have a YA F15 as well.Mine was actually completed last week.All that we have to do now is apply the Aeroloft transfers ,clear then lastly the Air Magic cockpit.The YA F15 is quite simply hands down the most detailed/scaled out F15 I have seen to date.The scale detail and accuratcy of the tailcones and Vulcan cannon are breath taking.The gear is awesome too-especially the nose gear with dual lights.Mine also has Bullpup missles and a centerline droptank.Be prepared to use alot of Hysol o this baby,there is alot of wood to install ,we went thru 3 tubes and then a bit more for the speedbrake housing [8D]

You will love the F15 if you decide to get one-it is a beautiful machine.On the flipside while a P80 would fly this bird I think the average flier wouldn't be happy with it as I feel it would be borderline power.As Shaun mentioned it will be more in the region of 22-23 lbs dry.We havent weighed mine yet but it is definately over 20 lbs.It is a big jet,noticeably bigger than the SM F15.Mine has a Ram1000 electric start which just came back from Carlos with new bearings,etc.Moreless he built me a new engine.He did his magic on my engine(built it just like his personal 1000) and has it puttting out 30 lbs max.This baby will be sweet with this Ram1000.I feel this will be more than enough power ,should be able to go straight up unlimited from rotation

Steve