Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

800mw camera?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 800mw camera?

hey, i haven't been in this forum for a while, a long time. I'm now interested in getting a wireless camera, and thought this would be the best place to start. I've looked at all different kinds, and my budget is at the bare maximum $100 and i've come to [link=http://www.agentseye.com/XPT800SpyKit.htm]this[/link] as my best bet. Is it any good? what kind of range/quality would i have? Are these kind of setups easy to break? Thanks for all your help in advance
*edit* by the way, this place has become alot more commercial, with adds everywhere, compared to when i was last here, maybe that was why i left, i don't remember
Old 04-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 800mw camera?

Hey, long time no see.

Well, without getting into the frequency issues which I am sure you have already seen posted to death here, that type of system works pretty well for what they cost.
My father and I have tested that type of setup both in glow and slope and it worked well.
Not going to get the range and image quality of a 2.4ghz BWAV type system with a CCD camera but they do work pretty good.
MUCH better than those "all in one" setups.
In this [link=http://fubar1.net/movies/wireless/SysCompHiRes.wmv]VIDEO[/link] I am comparing several systems, one of which is identical to the one you are asking about. I have it stuck on two different planes.
One thing I learned is you need some kind of lens hood or visor to protect the camera from glare or you get a weird purple haze across the bottom of the view.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Billiam411

it mentions in that page that it has a built in 2.4 GHz transmitter. What does that mean? Its not gonna do much good on the receiver...
Old 04-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Fubar-One

2.4ghz is good. The "old" 800mw systems used 1.2ghz which is illegal in the US and possibly other places.
I have not had problems with 2.4ghz (transmitting frequency 2400 megahertz) messing with any of my aircraft receivers. Your standard rc aircraft receiver in the US is on 72 megahertz. 75mhz for ground use.
I operate on 50mhz as a licensed ham operator.
The only time I ran into trouble was with a 900mhz system and one of my 50mhz receivers. Had to switch to a 72mhz receiver for that plane and it works fine with both 900mhz and 2.4ghz or 2.4 gigahertz.
ghz= gigahertz
mhz= megahertz

You should not have any problems.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:36 PM
smokingcrater

The "old" 800mw systems used 1.2ghz which is illegal in the US and possibly other places.
IIRC, 800mw on the unlicensed 2.4ghz band is still far from legal. although most of the cheaper ebay ones don't put out anywhere close to their rated power anyway.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Fubar-One

Well, they are legal for me, a licensed ham operator.
Didnt say they were legal for him, just pointed out that the 1.2ghz gear is illegal for everyone in the US.

Sigline stolen!
Old 04-15-2005, 08:33 PM
Billiam411

my dad has a ham liscence, i guess thats good enough to count, not that we'll ever get caught...
Old 04-24-2005, 11:01 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

What kind of setup is that ? I see two connectors for 9 volt betteries. If they are running those little square 9 volt batteries I dont think they are getting 800mw out of it. The tranmitter also looks kind of small to put out 800mw.... Where are they selling that ? How much ?
Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I found it....

1 X 800mw Power V-Chip Antenna
1 X 800mw Wireless Color Pinhole Camera (The World's Smallest Pinhole Camera)
1 X Power Receiver (optional wireless)

I guess the camera puts out 800mw also . Maybe they meant the entire system - Camera + Transmitter+ Receiver draws a total of 800mw hahaha. I never tried one of those setups, and I would bet 800 bucks that it does not put out anywhere near 800mw

But if all you have is 100 bucks, it may be the best way to get onboard video.... Let us know how it works !!!!