Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Dave

Congratulations on becoming a turbine driver! You will not look back. I have just sold all but one of my prop models to concentrate on turbines
and have ordered a Wren Supersport, 18lbs of thrust from a 2lb turbine! I have a notion that a Skymasters Hornet is going to be making some low passes over Scotland some time in the near future!

Best regards

John
John,
Thanks..and yes it feels good too! Having a ball. The Wren SS looks interesting. Hmmmm

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-09-2005, 08:37 PM
rcguy!

Well folks,
I know of another R54 to fly today. This lucky fellow put up 5 flights today including it's maiden. i'll say no more. I'm sure he'll have a flight report! This makes 3 that I know of. ANY OTHERS?

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys,

Yep 5 flights one dead stick. This is a very nice well behaved aircraft. It's almost too easy to fly. Top speed between 110 and 125. Take off is very smooth and un eventful. Flaps are effective, I tried full half and no flap configurations. The plane doesn't float but it doesn't want to land either. We are going to try crow ailerons and half flap to see how that works out. On the dead stick the engine died at the worst possible location (surprise) and I made the landing way downwind when she landed she bounce so hard that one of the struts was bent in a way I didn't think possible. I removed at home put it in a vice straightened it out and inspected the airframe. ROCK SOLID. This is DEFINETLY an airplane that will stand up to rough field flying.
Thanks for a well engineered kit Bruce, this one is a keeper.

Gary Szetlak
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48377.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	256957  
Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Gary Szetlak

Hi Guys,

Yep 5 flights one dead stick. This is a very nice well behaved aircraft. It's almost too easy to fly. Top speed between 110 and 125. Take off is very smooth and un eventful. Flaps are effective, I tried full half and no flap configurations. The plane doesn't float but it doesn't want to land either. We are going to try crow ailerons and half flap to see how that works out. On the dead stick the engine died at the worst possible location (surprise) and I made the landing way downwind when she landed she bounce so hard that one of the struts was bent in a way I didn't think possible. I removed at home put it in a vice straightened it out and inspected the airframe. ROCK SOLID. This is DEFINETLY an airplane that will stand up to rough field flying.
Thanks for a well engineered kit Bruce, this one is a keeper.

Gary Szetlak
Nice job on the R54! Thanks for your help on Saturday. MUCH appreiciated! Russ and I finished our flights and qualifications on Sunday. Just need to submit the paperwork to AMA.

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-12-2005, 11:44 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Gary!!! Your bright color scheme must be easy to see in flight!

I'm sure glad you came throught the flameout okay. One of the biggest design considerations for this model was to be able to survive flameouts. With its huge wing, it glides really well and will safely deadstick on the runway from nearly any position. There are times however, if you are low and slow like just after takeoff, a flameout may end up off field. The low wing loading still helps out there by allowing the R54 to really slow down before contact, and live to fly another day...

Also heard of another successful maiden flight last weekend in Canada. That's four so far, and several more are nearing completion. This is fun!

Bruce
---------------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
rcguy!

Bruce,
Any words on setting up the flaps/ailerons in "CROW"? Have you tried this? Has anybody tried this? If so, how much, etc details?

Should be able to fly some this weekend..........

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2005, 09:40 AM
BruceTharpe

The flaps are the main drag-producing features of this design, along with the extended landing gear. On the prototype, I did try programming the ailerons to pop up about ten or fifteen degrees, not for the drag but to kill some lift. It didn't seem to have much effect, but I only tried it a few times. Popping up the ailerons rubs me the wrong way because I want the lift, as long as there is enough drag to slow down to landing speed.

When I think of "crow", I envision the ailerons deflecting upward as much as the flaps deflect downward, for a massive drag effect. Sounds good, but you run into some linkage/servo movement difficulties when applying aileron, at least as it's designed. If a guy planned on using crow from the outset, he could increase the bevels around the aileron hinge line (ugly) while building and hook up the linkage with crow in mind.

Both the flaps and ailerons are larger in the kit version than those on the prototype. So far, the input has been pretty good on the effectiveness of the flaps. The one thing that I have found that makes a huge difference in the way the R54 lands is a five or ten mph headwind. Makes spot landings a "breeze", if you will. If it's dead calm, my model had a tendency to float, but it just required patience to allow it to settle in on its own. Again, the kit version has bigger flaps so there should be much less tendency to float.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:44 AM
tschuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bruce,

Have you flown the kit version of the model yet? I was just wondering how it performed with the PST-600r

I'm still waiting on paperwork for my waiver from the AMA. Ran into some signature notary issues but since have been resolved. Hopefully Amy can get it processed quickly.

Cheers,

Old 04-16-2005, 09:46 AM
rcguy!

Well said Bruce!

I'm going out flying today and MAY experiment a bit...maybe not! I'll post my results. Yes by CROW I meant a slight up deflection of the ailerons. I can see where a slight headwind for landing is MOST benefical!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Well said Bruce!

I'm going out flying today and MAY experiment a bit...maybe not! I'll post my results. Yes by CROW I meant a slight up deflection of the ailerons. I can see where a slight headwind for landing is MOST benefical!

Dave Rigotti
Well folks,
Got out to the flying field a bit later than I wnated to. Got flights 3 and 4 on her. Didn't mess with CROW. We had a 5-10MPH quartering wind. I can tell ya...With HALF flap and a slight headwind this baby SLOOOWS way down! I hit full flap just before I cross the threshold and its almost like reverse pitch! ROCK solid in the air, I'm very comfortable with her. Landings are doing well too! Need more time to help set up a "routine". Rolls are very easy and Cuban eights are just plain fun at 400' or more in diameter. The other turbine pilots commented that they couldn't believe how slow she would fly. (Some were waiting for the "stall/spin!")

Bruce...I've said this before...GREAT JOB on the Reaction 54! Eyes pop out at the size!

I rec'd my waiver from AMA today (Thanks Amy!) so I'll be debuting turbine operations at my home field. 550' foot long pretty smooth grass strip. I'm sure the R54 will feel right at home.

Dave "can't stop grinning turbine pilot" Rigotti
Old 04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
BruceTharpe

Tim, I'm ashamed to say my PST-powered model is still unfinished. Right now, the priority is on catching up with kit production, including the second batch of R54s. Busy, busy, busy Hope you get that paperwork done soon and get some more flights - bet you're chomping at the bit!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Nick Yuhasz
My Feedback: (11)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Bruce,

3 more flights yesterday afternoon, I can't and no one else at the field could believe how slow it would land AND how short the takeoff was. I've had a little trouble with the approach and landing because I'm use to my Hotspot and F-15, so I got out the Kaos 90 and did some flights with that. It's about the same span not nearly the wing area but it slows down and makes almost the same approach as the R54 (except the R54 is slower ) Too Cool!

Gary
Old 04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
tschuy

Chomping at the bit doesn't describe how antsy I'm wanting to get my R54 back up in the sky. But I want to be legal with the AMA and will utilize the utmost patience AND safety when approaching turbine flight. I'm one who likes to do things right and check everything twice and sometimes three times on my bird before lighting up the coals. Hopefully Amy from the AMA will get it out to me this sometime week. In the mean time I'm putting in a lot of time on my piped Bridi XLT which is also a dream to fly and tears up the sky at a very fast rate. She really moves when the gear is sucked up and on the pipe as they say.

I'm already looking at my next turbine project and have a few idea's as to where I'd like to go. I'm very happy with my FTE T-500 in terms of performance, reliability and support that it's got me to think seriously about buying the T-750. IMO both turbines are great engines and Frank does a super job of supporting these.

For the rest of you guys out there lets see more pictures!!!

Will post video of mine the next time I take her up. I have to agree with everyone that this thing is a dream to fly at all ranges of flight. It's very surprising on how slow this thing will fly and feel that I'll have no problem flying from my clubs 300' asphalt strip.

Would be really cool if we had a bunch of us all together at the Bardstown Jet Rally on the 5th of June for a group photo. Would really put a smile on Bruce's face.

Old 04-17-2005, 10:00 PM
rcguy!

Gang,
Rec'd my Waiver from AMA on Saturday and went flying the R54 at my home field. Put up 7 flights today, 6 as pilot in command, and 1 as I let a good friend have his very first turbine flight. Got all the basic trimming done. No rolls or dips or anything when 1/2 or full flaps are deployed. Got a very slight to the inside with knife edge. I'm sure a few percent mix will eliminate that. Club members accepted it well. VERY comfortable with the airplane. Did some very fast full bore dives followed by a bank and yank...flew right thru it. I see Gary's post about slow landings...ABSOLUTELY true. It seems to almost hover! I use half flap as a rule. I use just a tad of throttle until on short final (can't fly over the road!), reduce to idle and control the airspeed with elevator. Gentle touch down and maybe a hundred foot roll without brakes. I'd say the T-O roll is @ 200' off of grass. No flaps on T-O. I did use full flaps once as I thought the approach as a little hot. Dumped full flaps as I crossed the threshold, had any trim change mixed out, and BAM! it was like an anchor was thrown. Quite a difference from 1/2 to full in the drag factor.

Folks...The Reaction 54 is just plain honest to fly. NO bad habits at all. ROCK solid all the way to touch down. Mine weighs 18 1/2 pounds with a full UAT. balanced at mid range as shown on the plans. ALL throws as per the manual except ailerons. I added 5% more to the travel adjust to speed the rate up a bit. The few times I used the Kavan brake it worked well enough to have the wheel skid on the grass. I'm going to grease it lightly to get a smoother stop.

She flies very fast for her size on the P60. I set the timer at 7:00 minutes and land with almost half a tank. I have the 72oz Jet Tech tank don't forget. Fuel burn is close to 125cc per minute during a typical flight so far. This MAY increase as I finish up the flight trimming and enjoy more WOT flying!

Had a MLG wheel hang up. As a heads up...check the struts every other flight. NO time did I bounce her at all. I simply did a tight inside turn and the G load popped it out. Its an old pattern trick I learned many years ago.

I think I'm past the 2 hour total turbine time this weekend. 2 flights on Saturday and 7 today.

GET THOSE R54's FINISHED!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-17-2005, 10:43 PM
TommyWatson

Dave,

It's good to hear of your success. I need to do two or three nights work on mine and it will be RTF.
The large check on the bottom of the wing is so my tired old eyes can which side is up.!!!

Regards

Name:	Wt59337.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	259558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65714.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	259559  
Old 04-18-2005, 04:49 AM
rcguy!

Tommy,
Looks great! The colors go well together. Finisher her up! You'll be amazed at how well it flies. Nothing twitchy at all!

Keep us posted!

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-18-2005, 07:10 AM
tschuy

Looks really nice Tommy... I like the lettering on the wing...

You're going to love how this thing flies...

Cheers,
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 AM
BruceTharpe

Hi Tommy,

Now that is a beautiful... lawn! The R54 is nice too! Looks like you'll be our first friend from Oz to fly; Best wishes.

Dave - thanks for all the kind words about the R54 in flight. Sounds like you're having a blast with it!

Bruce
-------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
DP01

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a Canadian version - in standard "Snowbirds" scheme. (Our airforce could possibly afford R54's)!
A week or two away from the test flight still.

The grass North of the border isn't as pretty as in Oz…

Dennis

Name:	Hf98768.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	259780  
Old 04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
fast jets
My Feedback: (2)

Here is mine, have seven flights on it now.

John Wiebe

Name:	Ge96382.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	259817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60797.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	259818  
Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Bruce,

Actually the grass is a very dry at the moment. We have water restrictions here and I can't water as often as I would like.

All this activity from the other guys has really got me going. More work on the R54 today!!!.

Regards
Old 04-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Mine is almost finished as well. Just need to mount the turbine and then get to the field. Hopefully by this time next week it will have flown.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:18 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

Just completed my R-54 and have found the plane to be tail-heavy (As Bruce says in the IB). I started adding nose weight and found it took 18 ozs. to get balance at front of the suggested range.

Is this too much?? What have you guys experienced?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: swansons

Just completed my R-54 and have found the plane to be tail-heavy (As Bruce says in the IB). I started adding nose weight and found it took 18 ozs. to get balance at front of the suggested range.

Is this too much?? What have you guys experienced?
Wow that's a lot...

What an engine are you using? I added 9 ozs. of lead to my nose and got the CG set at the forward limit with the UAT full.

I did plan and worked to keep all of the equipment as far forward as possible.

Cheers,

Old 04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

I have a PST R600 and I to followed the plan to keep everything forward. I balanced it upside down. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.