Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Profile and Fun Flying Planes
Reload this Page >

Cap 232 Profile ARF "Subaru Style"

Community
Search
Notices
Profile and Fun Flying Planes If you're a profile fan or into fun flyers than this is the forum to discuss those topics.

Cap 232 Profile ARF "Subaru Style"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:08 AM
kolarshooter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cap 232 Profile ARF "Subaru Style"

I swapped out the stock wire LG for composite ones I found at [link=http://ohiomodelplanes.com/tetherite] OMP [/link]

Improved ground handling immeasurably.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:09 PM
jmess73

I finally flew my Subaru, it flies great, but way overpowered with the Saito 100. I kind of figured it would be so no surprises there. I'm looking for a Saito 82 now, so I can put my 100 in a H9 Corsair, but I can get a better deal on a new 100 than a new 82, go figure. Hey kolarshooter how's your covering holding up, as you know I recovered the fuse, but I still think the covering on the wing sucks, it feels very flimsy, I was just wondering if you noticed any problems with peeling punctures etc...

Jeremy
Old 05-01-2005, 06:51 AM
kolarshooter

I had mine out last week and again yesterday. Covering is fine.

Saito 100...that must be sick!! I guess that you might look for a 72 or 82 (I'd buy an 82...unless the 72 was a super good deal.)

Mine flys great...if you ever put the smaller Saito in it, you'll certainly notice the improvement in wingloading.

Keep in touch.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:03 AM
jmess73

Did you change the tail wheel too, or just the mains?

Jeremy
Old 05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
kolarshooter

Tailwheel is Dubro 60 size.

Mains are OMP. They are quite tall for a .40 size bird in my opinion, but they sure give me lots of room to prevent prop-strikes!

I just saw some other e-bay profile birds...[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5972496326&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT]HERE[/link]
Old 05-01-2005, 04:11 PM
jmess73

Well I flew my Subaru again today, this thing will hover at just a couple clicks over idle!! No joke I'm serious! This engine is way too big I LOVE IT!!!. I did cave in the main wheels today though, I guess I'll be oredering the OMP gear after all.

Jeremy
Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM
kolarshooter

The wire gear is a joke. You won't regret getting the OMP gear.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:53 PM
jmess73

Well the weather finally cooperated enough to fly the Subaru with it's new wheels, a huge improvement over the stock ones! I have to say i love this engine combo, what a thrill!! It has so much power on tap you always get instant response, it s really fun. I didn't have any rough landings so i don't know exactly how strong these new wheels are but they seem really tough, perfect for botched harrier landings LOL!! The dubro tail wheel helped ground handling tremendously too!

Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 AM
kolarshooter

This IS a fun plane, no doubt!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:42 PM
jmess73

Flight update! This plane is HUGE fun! On the down side though, the new gear is way stronger... maybe too strong? I had a dead stick landing and the gear just clipped the top of the hay that rings the runway, and they tore off, leaving quite the gaping hole in the bottom on the fuse! I realize it's my fault, trying to keep a very low idle because of the oversized engine, and once in a while I stall it!!! Maybe a tougher wire set would have been better for me, or maybe the planes light weight reflects it overall strength. It's possible I'm just an idot too[] It just didn't seem like a hard enough hit to do the damage it did, I don't know, regardless my planes broken[:@]

Jeremy
Old 06-27-2005, 07:39 AM
kolarshooter

OK...Here's what I do for that:

I use a Throttle - Throttle mix on my JR Transmitter and have it on an assignable switch. I flip the switch to increase my idle by 500 RPM (or so) so that flying aerobatics and such doesn't cause the engine to stall.

Ready for final approach? Just flip the switch back and the idle comes down to its previous setting.

There ya go!
Old 06-27-2005, 05:06 PM
jmess73

Sounds like a good idea, I'll have to look into it. I also need to change my prop, I have a 13x6 on it now, I think I'll change to a 14X4maybe even a 15X4. it'll slow down my speed and let me idle up a little

Jeremy
Old 07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought one of these on ebay also. the covering on mine was perfect. no hassles what so ever. i plan on a magnum 52 four stroke. do you think that will be enough? i'll use a 13X4 prop. the bolt holes line right up for it.
i put the thing together today, and it only took about 2 1/2 hours minus the engine. the channel for the servo wire through the fuse is a great idea. it's got morris beat hands down.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 AM
jmess73

Its a very light plane, so you should be allright, you loose some vertical performane though. Change the gear though the stock ones aren't even worth the aggravation of assembly.

Jeremy
Old 07-04-2005, 07:35 AM
kolarshooter

I agree with Jeremy...your motor will fly the plane around just fine. It might not hover, but there's more to flying than hovering, huh?

Landing gear is a Joke. OMP has reasonably priced replacement gear. I posted the URL in one of the above posts. I used the dubro .60 size tailwheel kit. Pretty necessary unless you fly off of grass...then, I don't know (I've never flown from grass.)

I flew mine yesterday. Definitely not a Pattern plane...but a really fun "knock-around" plane which, when adequately powered will 3D 'till your thumbs fall off.

Did you get it on e-bay recently? Jeremy and I bought our months ago then they were no longer available. I'd be tempted to get another to keep around as a spare. Great flying plane...even better than the Accell Katana I had.

Have fun!

Old 07-04-2005, 05:25 PM
knighttwister
My Feedback: (59)

i bought it over the winter months and it was sitting on the shelf until three days ago when i finished my goldberg chipmunk. i like to have something on the bench at all times, just so it looks like i'm doing something when the lady of the house gets in my hair and i need a reason to get away.(not really just in case she reads this)
Old 07-04-2005, 09:30 PM
srg123cohen
My Feedback: (13)

I found the website...but its in japanese damn .....but i got a translation YES but i cant figure out how to order models.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:27 PM
jmess73

Well I put the wheels back on, I fixed the broken part of the fuse, then I epoxied a 1/16 ply skin to both side all the way back to the CG. If that doesn't strenghten it up nothing will!!! I flew it today and its still a blast, the ply reinforcing made a huge difference coping with all the vibration coming off that huge engine.

Jeremy
Old 07-17-2005, 02:11 PM
kolarshooter

flew mine wednesday. Fun fun fun!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:33 PM
kolarshooter

knightwister, I tried to reply to your PM but my message was bounced back with a note that you either cannot or choose not to receive PMs. I hope you are subscribed to this thread so you get this message.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

sorr yo to bring back a 2 year old thread but I bought one last year and am now finally getting around to putting it together I am confused on the servo exit holes in the fuse where the rudder and elevator servo wires exit from. Where the heck do i channel them into the wings? I dont see anything obvoius.

Anyone still flying theirs?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Cap 232 Profile ARF

Very informative. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Tom Nied

Do you think the 60 size Dubro Tailwheel bracket is really necessary? I'm thinking of using the 40 size Dubro Tail Bracket. I always fly off of grass.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:11 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Tom, your asking questions on a 5+ yr. old thread. I doubt those who post still have them. These usually only last a season or two at best due to trying crazy ass 3D manuvers down low. A few guys at our club fly these and if your flying off grass the tail wire is plenty good. These profiles take about 5' to lift off due to the hugh wing area and overall weight. The CAP is quite tail heavy if I remember right, the landing gear is weak, but bends back easily, the covering sucks, but for the money these will definately put a smile on your face. The one I flew hovered best leaning on it's back a bit and did a great inverted flat spin, must be the aft CG. I fly the Butterfly 3D and it is even more floaty, but not quite as wild as the CAP can be with throws set at 45 degrees or more. I hated the Katana version, way too heavy and built way too weak. A few threads down there is another thread on the BF3D and I believe lejongleur
just got one of the CAPs (he powers with electrons) so you might want to read those threads as well. Enjoy!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Tom Nied

Yeah, will check it out. Thanks. Never had a profile so I'm low on the learning curve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.