Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:48 AM
Alfster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90!

Good Goobledy Goop Batman !

Is it supposed to take a 25lb sledge hammer to insert the wing tube ? [sm=confused.gif]

I knew it would be a bit tight, and that is good, but I think mine is just a fuzz TOO tight. Any of you guys have to do any mods to the fuse tube in order to get the wing tube to fit ?

Old 05-17-2005, 06:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've seen some report that it was necessary to sand the tube in the fuselage a bit. Mine is pretty snug, but if you make sure it's lined up straight and use a twisting motion it slides in okay and I think that's the way it's supposed to be.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:10 AM
griffin

TMan
Yes it's the stock tank but I did wrap it with bi-direction tape. The battery is a 1500mAh 6v (5.1oz according to manufacturer). I have maybe 2 oz on the port wingtip (don't have a small scale). I got my scale from Wally World for about $6.00 yesterday, haven't checked it against anything else. No toys at all. I sure hope it's the scale...
Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

I would say defintatly the scale. If not, someone is playing with you, check for a softball in the fuse somewhere... ha. Seriously thats heavy, I had a YS 1.40 in mine and I was at 10lbs. YS's are notably heavier than Saito's too.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:47 AM
FallingWithStyle

Yeah, I think its the scale too. A standard scale for people will likely be innaccurate under 30 lbs. I use a food scale rated for 11 lbs.

Clark
Old 05-17-2005, 08:50 AM
griffin

whew, what a relief. I weighed a 15lb dumbell and the scale reads 20! It'll be a great scale for fishing but not for weighing airplanes!
Old 05-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Rocky V.
My Feedback: (25)

Greetings All,
I'll bet this is in here somewhere, only checked the last 5 pages so far. Can someone tell me who has the best price on the F90 ? Maybe a link ? Thanx....
Old 05-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rocky V.

Greetings All,
I'll bet this is in here somewhere, only checked the last 5 pages so far. Can someone tell me who has the best price on the F90 ? Maybe a link ? Thanx....
There doesn't seem to be much of a price break anywhere on most model stuff, in fact on the Funtana everywhere I looked was exactly the same price. Sometimes you can get a pretty good discount at Tower depending on what kind of promotion they are running, but Tower doesn't sell Hangar 9 stuff.

I got mine from LHS since sales tax here, and shipping were about the same and the help from the LHS can be very helpful to you. So I'd recommend you support your LHS and just get it from them, they might even have some sort of sale on, but this time of year I doubt it...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
cstewa

ORIGINAL: Alfster

Good Goobledy Goop Batman !

Is it supposed to take a 25lb sledge hammer to insert the wing tube ? [sm=confused.gif]

I knew it would be a bit tight, and that is good, but I think mine is just a fuzz TOO tight. Any of you guys have to do any mods to the fuse tube in order to get the wing tube to fit ?

Mine was really tight at first. After a few times it got a little easier. The wings are really tight as well. I have to take a lot of care putting it together.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:33 PM
thedak
My Feedback: (21)

I ran a Kokam 15C 1250 Lipo. Got 4 flights out of a pack on Hitec 475s. Pack weighed 2.90 ozs.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:31 PM
3-D Flyer
My Feedback: (150)

Well, I got into assembly yesterday and ran into a slight problem i wanted to see if anyone else has had. On the installation of the wing fillets, one is fine the other has a 1/8" gap between the fillet and the fuse on the trailing edge. [:@] Anyone else have this? And if so how did you resolve it? Funny both fillets look to be identicle when put on top of one another, so i think the flaw may be in the wing tube or something like that possibly the fuse as well. Anyone else have this issue with theirs???
Old 05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

When you build the plane you are "supposed" to put the wings on the plane, put the filets on the wings, fit the filets snugly to the fuse and then glue. I took that to mean I might have to sand the filet/wing contact area, so I did. Mine fit tight to the fuse with no gaps. When you are done, cover the wing/filet area with a scrap piece of Ultracote and the seam dissapears as well.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:48 PM
TManiaci
My Feedback: (6)

Steve with C's and 3-D guy...

I doubt many went to that much trouble. I fitted them snug to the wing root, and left the gap at the fuse (small). There have been many complain about big gaps. I would put a spanner inside at the two aft bulkheads to push the fuse out to meet the wing fillets. I'm fairly sure the fit issue is with the shape of the fuse, not the wings. Mine wasn't bad enough to warrant this, but I tested it with a dowel cut to the right length and it worked real nice.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hay Rock V,
Theres a guy that has a F90 for sale for about $350.00 with engine. You might wanna try and snap that one up. Sounds like a very fair price. It was just listed in the market place. Doesn't hurt to make an offer.
NEDYOB
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 PM
3-D Flyer

Thanks T-man... you see exactly where i am coming from. That was my hunch that the fuse was a little bit out, that sounds like a good idea, i will try the spanners. I can live with a tiny gap but an 1/8" looks terrible. Glad to hear others have complained about this issue, i thought once again I alone was the lucky one!
Old 05-19-2005, 01:06 AM
Rocky V.
My Feedback: (25)

Thanks nedyob,
I saw that one this morning, I'm looking for NIB. I have a YS110 looking for a good home. Besides, rather build myself, that way I can only blame 1 person for boo-boo's. Thanks for the heads-up though.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:12 AM
Leemata
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: cstevec

When you build the plane you are "supposed" to put the wings on the plane, put the filets on the wings, fit the filets snugly to the fuse and then glue.

This statement is nowhere to be found in my manual. Sanding the forward edge of the fillet would have caused a serious mismatch at the alignment pin. Sure seems they could have done a much better job on the fit of these fillets.

Terry
Old 05-19-2005, 04:27 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TM ... I tried that technique, did not work for my plane.

Anyone willing to "sell" their stock UC? I got cocky and stalled my F90 many times, the UC works but I would like to get a new set, I am not keen on CF ones, if I had that on my plane would have been damaged. PM me if anyone has a "lost" plane and a nice set of UC.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Devin McGrath

I have my Funtana 90 sitting here in the box and I have some questions for you guys.....

First of all where to get a few things..
-Carbon graphite wing tube
-Carbon graphite landing gear (how tall)
-A better tail wheel preferable lite (I have heard good things about a Sullivan tail wheel??)
-Lighter wheels what are the lightest ones you guys are using
-Also heard about someone using titanium axles how much do you really save and how much are they?

( thedak 7 lbs 14oz is very impressive sorry to hear about the crash )

Some other questions-

-Anywhere you recommend stiffening up I already plane on the landing gear block and control surface horn attachments and pinning the motor box with graphite.

-Did anyone use the stock hinges on the ailerons I was thinking the robart hinges instead I don't really like the paper hinges and most likely would use robarts on everything.

-Tinting the canopy, what did anyone who did it use? I saw somewhere where this was already asked but I cant seem to find it again

-Flutter problems what surfaces have the happened on I have heard mostly aileron and elevator what have you guys heard....

-What is a good inch ounce rating for the aileron servo?

I know this is allot but any question you can answer is greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help deciding what to change
Old 05-20-2005, 05:48 PM
3-D Flyer

ORIGINAL: Leemata

ORIGINAL: cstevec

When you build the plane you are "supposed" to put the wings on the plane, put the filets on the wings, fit the filets snugly to the fuse and then glue.

This statement is nowhere to be found in my manual. Sanding the forward edge of the fillet would have caused a serious mismatch at the alignment pin. Sure seems they could have done a much better job on the fit of these fillets.

Terry

I just thought i would poost back and fill ya's in.... Thats what it took to get it right. I sanded down the trailing edge of the wing root, then cut off the anti-rotation pin and used a small piece from the supplied stab stiffeners, to make a new pin. Had to re-drill a new hole in the side of the fuse as well. But in the end it worked out fine. Funny i was just thrilled with everything in this arf up untill that!! But such is an ARF. sometimes it just does not all work out. Gettin there tho.... Just have to mount the vertical stab tonite and elevators and rudder in the morning. Then the final linkages and the motor and i'll be off to the maiden, Can't wait!

To the last guy who posted..... my canopy came tinted, yours did not??????
Old 05-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Devin McGrath

Yes it did but I saw one darker than that and it looked pretty neat I am still thinking about weather to make it darker or not and just thought I would check and see how it has been done before.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Azmick1

What is '' pinned '' the engine box ? I was just going to apply some fiberglass on the entire box.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Devin McGrath

Drill holes strait in from the side in through the front plywood plate and put in carbon rods to strengthen it up.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 PM
Azmick1

I think Im gonna stick with 3oz glass around the Box. It pulls tight on all 4 sides VS cross bracing.....
Old 05-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Devin McGrath

This way seams more simple and lighter...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18863.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	274186  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.