Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

ok to start on a corona

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

ok to start on a corona

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 08:23 PM
biker_ray_pa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok to start on a corona

I have a question for the helicopter folks....I'm thinking of starting on helis, and I've been offered a deal on a Corona, completely assembled and ready to fly, with a Hitec Laser 4 radio. Is this a good setup for a beginner? I've done some flying with R/C planes and am getting pretty comfortable with that, and I'd really like to give helicopters a try. Thanks!

Ray
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ok to start on a corona

The corona will fly. I treid one once, but didn't like it very much. Fixed pitch electric is slow responding, and not very stable (not so easy to fly) Once you graduate to a standard heli you almost have to learn over again... There are many opinions, and none of them are nesisarily wrong, but my oun opinion is go with a nice nitro heli like the century hawk, or Thunder Tiger raptor (recomend the OS 50 version or a kit with the OS 37, ive had trouble with a couple TT 39's so i avoid them) again there are other opinions...

A 4 channel radio can be made to fly a heli, but you have to make a lot of sacrafices and go thru a lot of work to do it, and the results are not so good. A better radio with heli program features is highly recomended. one of the helis i fly uses an old JR 652 i picked up at a swapmeet for 50$ works great, but i would not recomend buying anything less than a 6 channel computer radio.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:29 AM
Moe3754
Banned
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: ok to start on a corona

The corona is a tough bird it will take a lot of beating and still fly but as spiff said it is fixed pitch and very limited in what it can do,the biggest question is where do you want to fly indoors,outdoors,in your own yard or at a flying field?all these can make a difference in what you buy if it is indoors or in your yard then you need to consider a Electric because they can be flown almost any where if you want nitro then you have to go to a flying field which means having to join a flying club another expense.All are good and all have their place I myself went electric and fly in my yard and in my house when weather is bad I did nitro trucks for years and so I have had my fill of it and wanted something different.
Another thing you might look at is that if you have no experience at flying at all I would look into a simulator program for your computer because it will teach you and not drain your wallet when you crash it.After you learn with it then you can get into a more advanced Heli than the corona I started with a sim and now have a Trex and a JR Voyager E both collective pitch and both will do more than the corona and the Trex is a tough little bird also and not that expensive to fix parts are cheap to get and in large supply almost everywhere so you have no problems fixing it.In the end it is you that has to make the decision and no one else so I would do some research on the web and find out what you want to do.GOOD LUCK!!!!