Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

Submerged O.S. F.S. 52 Four Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 10:33 PM
cres24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Submerged O.S. F.S. 52 Four Stroke

Today, I had the unfortunate experience of burying my plane in two feet of soggy mud. When I pulled the engine out of the muck, I hosed it off with water to get the mud off - I was careful not to put more water inside the engine. Afterwards, removed the muffler, glow plug and carb.. I was unable to remove the back plate - the screws are too tight to remove! I did flush, as best I could, the engine with an aerosol brake cleaner. This removed much of the mud inside the engine, however, the engine will have to be serviced. My question then is how to prepare the engine for shipment? Do I need to do more to remove the mud/sand inside the engine. Although, I have not tried to turn the crankshaft, I have moved it just a little and notice a gritty feeling so I stopped. Having said all this, I would appreciate any help or suggestion from anyone out there. In addition, I would appreciate any suggestion of a company to service the engine. Tower Hobbies suggested HobbyService. Thanks in advance, Scott
Old 10-06-2002, 11:02 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine

I'm not sure why you need the engine serviced? Was it damaged from the crash? I had an OS engine sit submered for 7 days in a swamp until I could get a boat to recover the crash. I took the engine apart, flushed it with brake cleaner (good stuff) and reassembled it and flew it on another airplane the following week. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.