Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Old 05-24-2005, 06:25 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Dave

Which of your P60's flamed out? Was it the one that was causing you trouble? Did Jetcat find out the problem yet?

Glad to hear your damage was minimal, going out to fly the Intro today as it's warm (60o F!!) and sunny with 8 knots straight down the strip.

John

John and all,
Yes it was the P60 that JetCatUSA had. It was NOT the turbines fault. It starts and runs perfectly now. I ran the UAT dry and she quit from fuel starvation. See my post on RCU on air in a UAT. Since I got the P60 back she miss started the first time due toair in the fuel lines. Since then I'm 6 for 6 on the starts. The R54 is one real tough bird! Enjoy todays flying!

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-24-2005, 09:58 AM
BruceTharpe
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, I told you this type of airframe testing is not recommended by BTE Glad it was repairable.

Dean and company. Sounds like you all had quite a weekend of flying, the kind that sticks in your memory. I'm jealous!

Others might be interested to know that both Dean and his friend John W. (camo R54) had come to the conclusion that the R54 lands better with something less than the full 60 degrees of flap deflection. Dean is using 35 degrees, but he also uses spoilerons (ailerons popped up about 1/4") for a solid approach and no-float landing. This is something I will be testing thoroughly when my next R54 is done. Just thought I'd pass that on for others who might like to experiment.

I hate to make it sound like the R54 is untested - it went through a rigorous flight test. But as I have made clear in the past, the flaps (and ailerons) for the kit were enlarged to hopefully overcome a bit of floatiness in the prototype. So far, it sounds as though the larger flaps are doing their job! Thanks for the input, Dean.

Bruce
-------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 05-24-2005, 10:08 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Dave, I told you this type of airframe testing is not recommended by BTE Glad it was repairable.

Dean and company. Sounds like you all had quite a weekend of flying, the kind that sticks in your memory. I'm jealous!

Others might be interested to know that both Dean and his friend John W. (camo R54) had come to the conclusion that the R54 lands better with something less than the full 60 degrees of flap deflection. Dean is using 35 degrees, but he also uses spoilerons (ailerons popped up about 1/4") for a solid approach and no-float landing. This is something I will be testing thoroughly when my next R54 is done. Just thought I'd pass that on for others who might like to experiment.

I hate to make it sound like the R54 is untested - it went through a rigorous flight test. But as I have made clear in the past, the flaps (and ailerons) for the kit were enlarged to hopefully overcome a bit of floatiness in the prototype. So far, it sounds as though the larger flaps are doing their job! Thanks for the input, Dean.

Bruce
-------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Bruce,
I agree with Dean on the flaps. I use 30 degree almost exclusivly. I only use full flap (60 degrees) IF i'm hot on the approach and only then apply them when over the threshold. With full flaps I seem to "almost" run out of up elevator for the flair.

Dave Rigotti
Old 05-24-2005, 10:42 AM
tschuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using about half flaps on base leg and go to full flaps on short final on mine. Bit of a learning curve but at my field I have to do short field type approaches and then set her down on an asphalt runway that is 40' wide and 300' long. The R54 handles it with no problem and I usually end up using only 150' during my landing roll without tapping on the brakes. If I use brakes the distance would be about 70' since the CompactUniBrakes stop this airplane with authority. They have a good deal of holding power and it's only when I have the engine spooled up past 40% power that they are not able to overcome the thrust of my FTE T-500 turbine. Makes for nice sling-shot style take-offs.

Cheers,
Old 05-24-2005, 10:44 AM
tschuy

BTW...Bruce start watching your mailbox within the next few days. I've sent you a copy of the newspaper that had my R54 on the front page....

Enjoy Buddy....You deserve it...

Cheers,
Old 05-27-2005, 11:05 PM
TommyWatson

My Kevar tank arrived today from Gary. I am impressed. I got him to install the BVM fittings. The feed pipe just screws in and the breather is glued in at the top corner.

It will hold exactly 2 litres. Thats 1/2 litre more than the dubro tank.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41998.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	277318  
Old 05-29-2005, 04:15 AM
TommyWatson

Well Guys,

Another great flying weekend in Sydney Australia.

Weather was perfect and the "Australian R54" flew twice on sunday.
I even did a "touch and go".

Has anyone tried raising the ailerons during landings?. If so how much and with with how much flaps?.

My R54 lands beautifully but sometimes takes a little while to settle on the runway.

any other landing tips?.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:19 AM
TREADSTONE.

Tom,

Photographs.... SVP
Old 05-29-2005, 05:28 AM
TommyWatson

Guys,

I was too busy flying, and I did not have my photographer with me.
The touch and go was sort of an accident. I bounced about 2 feet into the air on the first landing and I did not think I could land and stop before the end of the runway, so I opened the throttle full and in about two seconds I was away again. Lucky the thing will fly on very low thrust.

I did some very nice figure eights with the gear and flaps down. The circles were really small and slow about 100 ft in diameter.

All the jets that my friends have seen fly are the Kangaroo type model with 30 pound thrust engines. My little R54 really opened their eyes.

It can fly straight up (with a high speed approach) and do a beautiful split "S".

Can't wait to build my next one.

Regards

Old 05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
nitrovmaxer

Here is a video clip of Dean's Reaction 54.

[link]http://rowdy.homedns.org:8080/sharefile/server2005_5_30_14_15_10_593/Reaction54.wmv[/link]

Rowdy
Old 06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Rowdy,
I can't seem to download the video.

marty
Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
nitrovmaxer

Try this mirror [link]http://www3.telus.net/rowdyrotorhead/Reaction54.wmv[/link]
Old 06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
afterburner

Thanks, that worked. Man that plane just crawled in for a great landing. I think I've found my plane for my jump into turbines.

Marty
Old 06-02-2005, 05:53 AM
rcguy!

Off to Bardstown, KY jet rally. Any other R54 pilots going to attend?

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-02-2005, 06:30 AM
tschuy

Won't be there until Sunday due to a local Fun-Fly for our club. Was planned long before Frank made his announcement for the Bardstown Jet Rally. Wish he would pick a day and stick with it annually.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:44 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: tschuy

Won't be there until Sunday due to a local Fun-Fly for our club. Was planned long before Frank made his announcement for the Bardstown Jet Rally. Wish he would pick a day and stick with it annually.
Tim,
See you on Sunday! (I'm thirsty!)

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
tschuy

Can we get a count as to who is all going down to the Bardstown Jet Rally for a group R54 picture?

Cheers,
Old 06-02-2005, 09:10 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim and Dave - hope you have a great time at Bardstown. Believe me, I'd love to be there!

Rowdy - Excellent video! What a nice airplane

Dean - Superb flying and a smooth landing. Just too easy!

Tommy - I tried raising the ailerons and did not see much effect. However, Dean says he is popping the ailerons up about 1/4" with his along with 35 degrees flap for spot landings. Check out the video... The R54 flaps are designed to drop up to 60 degrees, but some are finding that to be too much. I think there's a heavy interaction of pilot expectation/preference, aircraft weight, and idle thrust involved here, making it difficult to settle on a "perfect" flap/aileron setup. Thankfully, the R54 is a forgiving design that allows you to experiment without getting into trouble.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:11 AM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Tim,

Dave Rigotti
Will have the ice-chest full of cool ones for ya...

Cheers,
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 AM
afterburner

Anyone flying this plane off of a small grass field yet? Just curious to hear how that might be working out.

Marty
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
fast jets
My Feedback: (2)

I have flown mine off a 350' grass strip twice. On both flights only half of that distance was used up. On the frist few flights it would be nice to have more but after that 300' to 350' grass strip should be fine.

John
Old 06-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have put about 25 flights on mine off of our grass field. It takes about 200'

Gary
Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Tim,

Dave Rigotti
Will have the ice-chest full of cool ones for ya...

Cheers,
Tim,
Enjoyed the "cool one" with you on Sunday. I rec'd alot of compliments on how well the R54 flew. Lew McFarland thinks it looks alot like his SHARK 45 stunter from the 60's! Recorded flight #42 on Sunday.

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-06-2005, 07:00 AM
tschuy

Dave,

It was great to meet you in person and looking forward to the next time. for the rest of you R54 owner's in this area, Who's all going to the Heart of Ohio Jet Scramble ? Dates ar August 26, 27 and 28. Additional info can be found here: http://www.torks.com/JS-Flyer2.html . It be cool if we can get a bunch of us together.

Also talk to Lew McFarland and we starting the initial leg work to see if we can host a 2 day event here in Campbellsville. Tentative dates are for October 8th and 9th. Focus will be for us new guys to turbines and those who want to join the turbine world. We have a small airport here with new taxiways and tarmac which will be great for flying R/C off of. Additional information to follow as this develops.

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
rcguy!

Folks,
I've had 2 flameouts due to the UAT being sucked low or dry with plenty of fuel remaining in the main tank. I checked my system for air leaks and found none. I could run the turbine at WOT on the ground without getting any air in the UAT. I would then fly for a few minutes and afterwards, the UAT would have a significant amount of air in it. I'm using a Jet Tech tank that was built to my specifications and holds 72oz's. I'm convinenced the forward facing clunk is getting exposed during flight. I DO fly alot of split s's, rolling and looping manuvers. The last flameout was at 1/4 tank on take off and climbout after a touch and go just after the wheels hit the wells.

I'm not saying Bruce's 50oz tank setup is bad. Quite the contrary. He has many more flights than I do. Others have not had this problem either. Is it specific to the volume of the 72oz tank? I really can't say. Bruce has done a wonderful job with this aircraft and all that fly mine are impressed with its flight qualities.

Anyway.....I've switched the tank around to have a rear facing clunk. All other fuel components stayed the same, the pump and valves, etc. I cut a hole in the LE bulkhead to allow the tank tubes to pass through. I routed the overflow out the bottom just in front of the leading edge as before and the pickup line gets routed to the rear mounted UAT. I've got 10 flights on this setup and am happy to report that the MOST air in the UAT does not even get to the cap. I'd say 1/15-1/20th. I flew this at Bardstown, KY with alot of airport runway at my disposal if needed. I'm comfortable with it now. I did need to install the tygon tubing after the tank was installed.

Below are some pictures of MY setup. Again...On MY R54 I found this necessary to do. Yours may be different.

Dave Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20353.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	281207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37091.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	281208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43880.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	281209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37817.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	281210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr91857.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	281211  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.