Search
Notices

raptor 50

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 AM
honeybee11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 50

hi there could someone tell me what the difference is between the raptor 50 v2 and the RAPTOR 50SE WITH TT50 ENGINE which one is the best or are they the same
thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 06:16 AM
RotorNut

Default RE: raptor 50

The difference is the SE has CNC Main Head Block with head button, metal washout base, lighter paddles, stainless flybar, carbon fins, and a plastic "carbon look" windshield, and purple decals.

The difference you'll notice in flying is the lighter paddles and stainless flybar. They will give you a faster more crisp cyclic. They other upgrades are nice to have but won't effect flight performance.

I'm not the only one that'll probably say this, but I'd stay away from TT motors.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

ORIGINAL: RotorNut

I'm not the only one that'll probably say this, but I'd stay away from TT motors.
Amen!

Get the V2 with an OS50 or OS50 hyper. Spend your money on fuel, the R50 flies fine out of the box.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:14 PM
WhtBronco

Did I just get lucky with my TT50?

The LHS owner said he has the same number of failures from both engines and suggested I get the TT50 to learn with and then the OS50SXH if I want a bit more power. So I got the TT50. It has run perfectly thus far with zero need for tuning. I leaned the high end needle a bit to reduce smoke, but that’s it. Quite frankly after 22 years of using glow engines this is the first 1 I have ever had that ran perfect right out of the box, including many OS airplane engines.

My Irvine .20 was the most troublesome and I never did get it running right. Course being 9 years old may have had something to do with it.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 AM
RotorNut

I'd say you got lucky. Of the students I get that fly 50 size helis there is a fair mix using OS 50 and TT 50 engines. The only problems I have seen with the OS 50shx is the mid range mixture (with exception to one motor). That can be fixed in about five minutes. With the TT 50 engines I've seen a lot of problems. Here's a quick list of some of the problems I've seen with them. Push rod broke, mixture will not set right, loss of compression in only a few gallons, bearing failure, metal in the cylinder, and bent crank. Now I've seen some good running TT 50's, but (just a rough guess) around 50% of them have a problem right out of the box. With those kinda odds I'd say you got very lucky. I've been training heli pilots for 2 years and have only ever come across 1 major problem with an OS motor. Most of the OS 50's I've seen start first try out of the box, 1 quick adjustment and then only little mixture adjustments as the motor is breaking in.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Tomi
My Feedback: (4)

been tuning and flying my R50 with TT50 for 2 weeks. Looks to be a winner. fires right up when YOu got the low needle set right. I have mine really rich so it's crappy starting it and idling it. but after it starts up, and warm up, it's fine.. Makes it run cooler anyway.

-Tomi
Old 06-03-2005, 08:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Sorry posted in wrong thread Duh, no posting before coffee.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:15 PM
RebarDWG

i debated between the tt50 and the os50 for along while. People tell me the two engines are nearly identical in performance. The OS will burn more fuel, and has a slight advantage over the tt50. I ended up getting the OS50 only because it was available at my local hobby store. I didnt know jack about tuning the engine and setting mixtures so i thought it would be best if i bought it there and get help from them later.

I dont have experience with the tt50, but i am definitely happy with my os50
Old 06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Danorn
My Feedback: (1)

FWIW, I just received my third motor from TT that they replaced under warranty. 1 for the back bearing falling apart and thrashing the inside, the second for a head shim that had metal fatigue and caused another motor failure. I am a bit leary to put it in again since they replace the motor, but not the heli when it goes in. I break them in properly with good fuel and rich, never lean and TT agrees the motors are failures not pilot error.

Daniel
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

The SE comes with wood blades, carbon fins, and stickers to cover the holes in the carbon fins. [X(] Bizzare. Strange combo by anyones standards. Just so happens i am fond of none of those items.

Fake carbon windshield? ack ptuey!

If you want 3D performance, the white paddles generally will be replaced with the greenies anyway.

The standard kit comes with nice carbon blades and plastic fins. Add the green paddles for 10$ Chop away everything but the center of the HS to clamp the boom supports and you have a fulll on 3D beast for cheap.