Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New KAOS, What engine?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New KAOS, What engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Ab_jose1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New KAOS, What engine?

Someone said to buy an OS ax 46. I just want the most reliable engine possible not shooting for speed because it’s already been lightened. Weights about 4 pounds so it extremely fast.

Would want 3 examples of reliable engines.

Jose
Old 07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New KAOS, What engine?

I put in the GMS-47 engine from Mecoa. This is a first class engine, starts right out of the box, excellent. It runs you about $60 delivered to your front door after you trade in an old broken engine of any description. I have recommended this to others and they are very happy with them also. I have two of them now.

dickj
Old 07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Tower Kaos and several .46-size engines.
OS .46AX: Easiest to run. Powerful. Very reliable. I have these in 2 twins.
Thunder Tiger .46 Pro: Takes more time to break-in. Runs good. Somehow, I never took to them.
GMS .47: Takes a while to break-in. Can stop at idle before break-in is complete. Once they smooth out, they run great. I have 2 in a twin.
Magnum .52XLS: Most powerful of the bunch. Can be tricky to tune, especially for idle mixture. I have 2 in a twin.
Evo .46: Easy to start & run. I never actually put it on a tach, but I felt it was down on power compared to the OS, Magnum & GMS.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:53 PM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

get the evo .46 it's the best for relibility and cost you cant beat it
Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 PM
straitnate14
My Feedback: (2)

oh ya take the baffal out of the muffler and it screams i to thought that it was down on power of my os but after i took the baffal out i could hang my kaos on the prop for a little while.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Ab_jose1

Thank you very much will look into those engine. Very helpfull
Old 07-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Fastsky

I bought an Evo to try. Doesn't have nearly the power it should and is hard to tune. I have read that some run great out of the box and some never run right. So far mine is in the later group. If you want easy to start, run, adjust, reliable and great power go for the OS 46AX. I bought one to compare against my trusty 46FX and the new version has a bit more power and has a smoother idle. Not that the idle wasn't good on the FX, the AX version is just better! I also have an ASP Super series 52 which is an impressive engine but it does some finicking around for several flights and a longer break in time. Once its loosened up however its easy to tune and the OS 46 engines can't touch it in terms of power. [8D]
Old 07-31-2005, 12:19 AM
SLOWFLY58

Put a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro in it. Mine has good power,never dead sticks, has over 200 flights on it and I have never had to use an electric starter on it. One or two flips will start it every time. very easy to break in. THE BEST ENGINE for the money !!!!!

Dale
Old 07-31-2005, 02:38 AM
kojak41

[8D]The ST .51 is a great match. Since it is ringed, it takes a little break-in, but it is cheap, powerful, and reliable.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:33 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Magnum .52 in a 6 1/2 pound Ugly stik and it has unlimited vertical. I agree that the low end is a pain to set, but the power is above all of the other .46's. I have not run or seen a ST .51 so I can not compare them. The ST .51 would be my second choice, just because of all the ST's I have run over the years.

If you do get a Magnum .52, wrap the low end needle with teflon tape, put the card at a low idle setting, screw the needle all the way in, put a piece of fuel tubing on the fuel nipple, gently blow in to the tubing, turn the idle needle out until you hear air coming out. This will get your needle setting close right off the bat. The setting from the factory is 3 turns out. Mine is set at a spot between 1/2 and 3/4's of a turn out. I did this and broke in per the instructions and mine runs great. Some people have romoved the baffle from the muffler to get more power, I left mine in becuase when I ran it without the baffle it was way to loud.

Dru.

P.S. what I said about setting the idle needle can be used onany engine, it is the way ST does it.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 PM
Fubar-One

I would second the ST .51.
Had one of these on my kit built Kaos and am putting that same engine on the Kaos I am building now. Might go for a MACS one piece muffler instead of that big sucker that comes with the ST tho.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:23 PM
KaosDriver

If you're not obsessed with blazing speed, unlimited vertical, etc...try the Magnum XL52RFS. It will require a little extra work mounting and will extend beyond what a two-stroke will, but all well worth it. Quiet power, reliable out of the box, easy break-in, minuscule muffler, neighbor-friendly, and different from everyone else's Kaos(except mine). A beautiful match.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Ab_jose1

Thanks. don t know were to get this engines. Tower ?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:13 PM
SLOWFLY58

Tower has just about every engine mentioned in this thread.

Dale
Old 08-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Ab_jose1

I fly helis , just getting back to planes sorry for all the questions. What receiver should I buy? 4 ch? Brand?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Fastsky

Since you never specified which brand of radio you have I would suggest getting a Hitec Supreme 7-Channel Shift Select FM Receiver. It can be set to work with Airtronics/JR radios or Futaba/Hitec radios. Its about $46.00 plus $10.00 for the crystal. Be sure to specify which channel you need. Don't buy a 4 channel reciever. Most of these have a shorter range than the 7-8 channel recievers. Just use channels 1 to 4 for the basics and channel 5 or 6 if you want to use a Volt Watch in the plane. [8D]
Old 08-01-2005, 02:28 PM
SLOWFLY58

You will get a lot of answers on this one. I assume you are asking about an entire radio system.
There are a lot of good ones out there. From my own experience I would stick some with the companies that have been around awhile.
FUTABA
HITEC
AIRTRONICS
JR

As for number of channels a 4 channel system will work on most planes, if you think you would later like to go with retracts or flaps a 5 or 6 channel or more is needed. Check Tower Hobbies to see a good selection of whats out there. If you are looking for a receiver only HITEC make a couple of good ones, stay with the 7 or more channel receivers.

Dale Jenkins
Southern Eagle Squadron
Leesburg FL
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM
SLOWFLY58

Hi Fastsky
I ordered a Hitec Supreme 7-Channel Shift Select FM Receiver in a flight pack for my Futaba t6exa. Works great !!

Dale
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A .46 on a 4 lb KAOS will make it go at an unbelieviable, if not an uncomfortable speed. I would go with a .40FX or even a .35FX. Even the plain bearing .46FP would be a lot of engine. I have used OS, K&Bs, ThunderTigers, SuperTigers, Magnums, and Enyas in my KAOS's, and my favorite pick would still be the O&S. My current KAOS has a OS .46SF that I have been flying with every season since 1992. They may be a few dollars more, but they make up for it in dependability.

ORIGINAL: Ab_jose1

Someone said to buy an OS ax 46. I just want the most reliable engine possible not shooting for speed because it’s already been lightened. Weights about 4 pounds so it extremely fast.

Would want 3 examples of reliable engines.

Jose
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
Ab_jose1

I just bought the AX and 50 sx. Well my friend actually bought the 50 but he said I could stay with it if I wanted to and he stayed with the 46(good friend want me to fly planes). I ll properly break in both of them and test them. I like speed but love precision.
Just placed the plane on a digital scale and it weights in at 4.24 lb. Don t know how how much does the original weight ?

Also bought the hitec 7 receiver I ll be using 9 chp futaba.

As you can see the plane has a kougar wing.

Forgot to order an extra crystal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30240.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	304527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33021.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	304528  
Old 08-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

OK so all the usual choices are mentioned OS,TT Pro-46, ST-51 etc. This is possibly the most hotly contested question on this site other than what second plane someone should get

Here are my favorited in a very particular order, in regards to a newer engine tuner:

Irvine-53 (Tons of power, runs on 5%, can use the Tower-46 muffler for extra rpm's and it is very hard to find anything negative about this engine on RCU-) I had this on an Ultra-Sport and it was a perfect match with unlimited vertical-

Webra-50GT (Same power as Irvine, maybe a little less torque, also runs on 5%, and is lighter than all engines mentioned previously)

OS-50SX (Again similar in power to the two above runs on 15%, is ringed for LOONG life, can take the Tower-46 muffler for increased perf. and idles like a swiss watch!)

I also love the 46FX/SF and TT Pro-46 engines. The ST-45 and 51 are great runners, and the Magnum is powerful but they seem to be hit and miss for quality, try a search on the Magnum-52XLS
One underestimated engine IMHO is the K&B-48 (Screamin' 48) it is a tad heavy but has great power and is made in the USA

Best performance would be a YS-45 and Performance Specialties muffler or Macs pipe -