Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:37 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

so Bob,

are you saying I should be using Gorilla for maximum strenght AND lightness? I have my Titebond in the handy syringe, but will gladly switch to the Gorilla stuff if it is lighter overal - especially considering the amount of glue used in this kit....

btw, I PROMISE to get several pics up of my fuse progress tonight...

randy
Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

LHS had a cockpit kit for 10.00 someone ordered it and never picked it up now if they would do the same with the engine retracts AND RADIO

Old 07-22-2005, 09:23 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy

I would NOT tell any one to change from somthing they are comfortable with. But befor I built my first gaint corsair I read the wight up's from RC Report and RCmodler, then I got my kit after reading the instructions and duing an inventory it just looked like some weight could be saved in all of the laminates, The groilla glue adds were on TV at the time, so the engineer in me seaid run some test, I haft to admit I was superised that it was at least as strong as epoxy and lighter, A word of CAUTION if you us it brush it on both serfaces, then take a plastic card and squegee off the rest just leave a sheen of glue put both parts together and mush them around align up the parts and clamp VARY well, alow to sit about 30 min and double check your alignment if you weight longer you don't have a chanch of correcting. I ran about a half doz samples to teach my self the best way for me. Iwould suggest that you try it on somthing or do some test your self if you then feel warm and fuzzy with it go for it ... Clamp it tight and stright, it does work.
One outher thing I might add is I carfuly sanded down to my glue joint on all of my samples and I found small air pockets in all but the grollia glue. and the epoxy was the werst, I belive becouse I did not have a means to apply enough pressure. On this new build I am duing all of laminates with grollia glue NO joints those will be CA's or epoxy's

Will have some more pic's late next week...

Watch out for my spelling as I did this between honey do's and going to dinner
Bob T
Old 07-29-2005, 08:51 PM
pajaro
My Feedback: (51)

what do you guy s think to use zdz 80 on the giant corsair from top flite ?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take it you want to do 3D with a 85" span F4U Corsair then?
Old 07-30-2005, 06:30 AM
rt3232

pete love your attitudebut I think you hit it right on thr head..

Bob T
Old 07-30-2005, 07:11 AM
rt3232

Hi every one[]

I can't seem to get my latest pic's to up load. these were taken with a camera developed by wall mart, and digitized JPEG format, when I get to ok I get a window ( pic' is not supported ) any suggestions

Bob T
Old 07-31-2005, 04:48 AM
rt3232

[>:] Bosssman

still trying to upload the pic's

Bob T
Old 07-31-2005, 11:53 AM
bosssman

Bob,

Tell me about it!!!!! I am selling a LOT of my old Mustang car stuff on Ebay which is taking up a LOT of my time. My problem is I have the pics, just not the time to sit here, upload, and comment on my progress. I hope to be able to do something during the "lull" this evening. Maybe between the two of us, we can show some progress to the rest of the "corsair gang".....

randy
Old 07-31-2005, 02:42 PM
rt3232

will try to upload if it goes I will add a comment

Bob T

it said it uploaded
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92710.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	303852  
Old 07-31-2005, 02:53 PM
rt3232

Finally. well what I am trying to show hear is the amount of lighing holes I am using after cutting the holes I sand and then hit them with thin ca.. like I said in my babbling the hole scrap mtl, has a weight of about 21/2 oz, and my goal is to not have to add any weight in the nose.

Now that I have figured out how to upload these last wal-mart specials will try to do some more later

Bob Tl
Old 07-31-2005, 05:23 PM
rt3232

well iam going to try to do 2 pic's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65716.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	303934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27986.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	303935  
Old 07-31-2005, 05:30 PM
rt3232

well figured out how to do 2 at a time, the secoud pic was to show how far I had to drop the floor board to get a full body pilot to fit right, I think everything else speahs for it self..

Bob T
Old 08-02-2005, 08:00 PM
rt3232

[>:][>:]

Well after reading the thread on Hitech servo's ie: 635's and 475's Which what I used in my first T/F g/s corsair I think I am going to use futabe 3010's on all flying surfaces and 3305's for the flaps, I am looking for some input hear guys..

Bob T
Old 08-09-2005, 02:36 AM
GrCab

Question?
A friend of mine offered me use of an older Quadra (65?) engine, that has been run very little,to use on my tf gs corsair I'm about to start building. It weighs 7.2# would this be too much nose weight to balance well?
Old 08-09-2005, 07:33 PM
rt3232

Hi Gr Cab

I don't think so, as my G62 with custom muffler and ignition system is right at 6 3/4lbs. If you have looked at all of the pic I have posted, you will see what ive done to keep the tail light, when I started with my first corsair Iread all of the reviews and the all ended up adding 2 to 4lbs. in my first build only CA's in the tail group except the beams to hold the tail wheel unit. allseaid and done I had to add 18 oz in the chin wright behind the fire wall c
Old 08-09-2005, 07:44 PM
rt3232

Hi Gr Cab

I don't think so, as my G62 with custom muffler and ignition system is right at 6 3/4lbs. If you have looked at all of the pic I have posted, you will see what Ive done to keep the tail light, when I started with my first corsair I read all of the reviews and they all ended up adding 2 to 4lbs. in my first build only CA's in the tail group except the beams to hold the tail wheel unit. all said and done I had to add 18 oz in the chin wright behind the fire wall. This gave me 1 1/2 to 2 degrees nose down with gear up on a g/p balancing tool. So in this new build my goal is not have to add any extra weight, thats why all the lighting holes, I used 1" hole saw as this turned out to get red of the most wood and NOT take away from the structure

I hope this helps and as you go into your build, please post pics as its nice to see what outhers are doing..

Bob T watch you six and keep turning
Old 08-09-2005, 07:52 PM
rt3232

Hay Bossman

I did not get any feed bach on my question about servo's, so what do you (ANY ONE) think of using futaba 3010's for flight surfaces and 3305's for the flaps.

Thanks Bob T
Old 08-09-2005, 09:44 PM
GrCab

Thanks for the reply Bob

That makes me feel a little better as I was hoping to save $$ on the engine. Do you remeber what the finished weight of your first corsair was?
Old 08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
bosssman

Hi Bob,

I have been VERY busy selling my Mustang car stuff on Ebay (more money to buy even MORE R/C stuff), so sorry for not answering up...

personally, I think a standard BB Futaba 3004 on the ailerons (one for each aileron) is fine. As far as the flaps go, you may be right on the money with that 3305, HOWEVER, I can remember guys in the "old days" using servos with smaller torque numbers. Remember, a lot has to do on how "tight" we set up the linkage so as not to build in any sloppiness......

BTW, I used my Forstner bits on several areas of plywood in the rear fuse AFTER I had already built up the fuse. Kinda wish I had done it before, but better now than seal it up and leave all that extra weight behind. I know it doesn't seem like much, but when you add up 1 ounce here, 2 ounces there, etc it ends meaning a lot when you go to balance it out in the nose.

I am gonna try like heck to get some pics up of my progress - still waiting on main retracts, HOWEVER, I did just buy an old Saxton kit (Byron copy) of an F6F Hellcat and included in it was a new set of Robart 150. I am going to check to see if they have the same mounting pattern as the 148's so I can start in on the wing.....

randy
Old 08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
rt3232

Randy

Thanks for the feed bsck, I don't have any of the 3004's I figuered if I have to buy new I might as well go for the higher troque. the reason for the 3305 on the flaps, is I just don't want not to match the outher, it causes real problems.

Thanks again Bob T

GR Cab

The total weight with out fuel was 20 1/2 lbs, and at that weight the G62 had lots of authority, it would fly off on its own in about 25ft. When I saw this I cut the power and got a breth and next try tail high for about 100' and then let fly off with lots of air speed, bult to the plan it required 2 click down and 2 clicks right aileron for hands off stright and level. the way this bird is designed engine, horz and wing is at 0 degrees inc, The real one has some positive inc in the wing I thing about 2deg's but based on my first on I would not cgange a thing.

Hope this helps

Bob T
Old 08-17-2005, 11:28 PM
thehoker
My Feedback: (193)

Is anyone out there trying to really scale one of these out?
After looking at the plan, and my three views, this plane is a far cry from a scale outline.
The price that one can be had though seems to make bashing it a serious consideration.
The hardest part, but most important to me is the fuse outline,no sloping nose from canopy down to rear of cowl, or that slight hump behind the canopy on the down angle to the fin.
I know the wingtips, rudder shape and flat tail surfases are all wrong also but I consider those easy fixes.
The lack of positive wing incidence isnt a concern to me if it allows for a better flying plane,(I would hope thats the reason for the deviation on such a major part of a plane).
I have the Taylor plans, and its considerably closer to scale, but looks to be a major build project, and I really dont want to cut a kit.
The Devine model looks appealing also, and may be easier to mod being its a solid foam plane to start with.
But the cost of this kit cannot be beat, 249.99 plus shipping from Tower after using the on-line coupon of 30.00 for spending over 150.00.
Anyone out there addressing any of this,or just building stock corsairs?
My concern is, can this kit be modded easier than starting from scratch?
This planes size is perfect,I dont want to go any larger, I had a 102 inch monster hog, and it just ended up being a pain it was so large,even with the three piece wing.
If I was to go with the Taylor, I'd scale it up to this size to use the canopy and stans cowl that fit this kit.
I know this may sound trivial to some,but when you look at the real thing, its a beast,its huge and all the kits of this bird out there with the wrong lines on the fuse( too slender) make it look anorexic.
Ive built three corsairs in the past, a Meister, a Ziroli, and a 1/8 scale Top Flite, never was happy with the "Look" of any of them, I really want a scale looking hog this time.

Any input will be welcome,thank you in advance.

Oh yea ,one other thing, stupid question here-
Why do they market this as a 1/5 scale kit, when it isnt even close, a corsair of 1/5 scale would be right around 98.5 inches in span?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehoker

Is anyone out there trying to really scale one of these out?
After looking at the plan, and my three views, this plane is a far cry from a scale outline.
The price that one can be had though seems to make bashing it a serious consideration.
The hardest part, but most important to me is the fuse outline,no sloping nose from canopy down to rear of cowl, or that slight hump behind the canopy on the down angle to the fin.
I know the wingtips, rudder shape and flat tail surfases are all wrong also but I consider those easy fixes.
The lack of positive wing incidence isnt a concern to me if it allows for a better flying plane,(I would hope thats the reason for the deviation on such a major part of a plane).
I have the Taylor plans, and its considerably closer to scale, but looks to be a major build project, and I really dont want to cut a kit.
The Devine model looks appealing also, and may be easier to mod being its a solid foam plane to start with.
But the cost of this kit cannot be beat, 249.99 plus shipping from Tower after using the on-line coupon of 30.00 for spending over 150.00.
Anyone out there addressing any of this,or just building stock corsairs?
My concern is, can this kit be modded easier than starting from scratch?
This planes size is perfect,I dont want to go any larger, I had a 102 inch monster hog, and it just ended up being a pain it was so large,even with the three piece wing.
If I was to go with the Taylor, I'd scale it up to this size to use the canopy and stans cowl that fit this kit.
I know this may sound trivial to some,but when you look at the real thing, its a beast,its huge and all the kits of this bird out there with the wrong lines on the fuse( too slender) make it look anorexic.
Ive built three corsairs in the past, a Meister, a Ziroli, and a 1/8 scale Top Flite, never was happy with the "Look" of any of them, I really want a scale looking hog this time.

Any input will be welcome,thank you in advance.

Oh yea ,one other thing, stupid question here-
Why do they market this as a 1/5 scale kit, when it isnt even close, a corsair of 1/5 scale would be right around 98.5 inches in span?

Yea that about sums it up. I would suggest you look at the modification threads on the 60 size TF Corsair and incorperate those mods. Go ahead and change the wing AND stab incidence. Mine flys great.

Pete
Old 08-18-2005, 09:23 PM
rt3232

Youve got it pegged, But if you look at the early -1's from the books I have it would not be a big thing, as all of a model series being built during ww2 were NOT the same as miner mods were being added as they moved down the assembly line, The mod numbers only changed when a major inprovement was in corperated, but I don't think you will find a better starting platform

Bob T

P.S. even when you line up a given model from the different mfg,s they was lots of suttle differances
Old 08-20-2005, 07:42 AM
rt3232

J D How are you comming with your build?? I ran in to a flyer that says the T/F G/C c/g needs to be fwd of that posted to prevent snap tendency on landings.

To any one out there do you have any exp on this?

Bosssman will try to post some new pic of my build next week

Bob T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.