Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

ORIGINAL: jappie993

I use 3/4in of spoiler on mine with the landing mode switch
Hi guys,

About those use of spoilers for landing, when you use them, your ailerons are both "set down" huh ?

Those will work as down elevator, or am I wrong ?

Do you have to mix up elevator when you use them, or just have to give a lot "up elevator" or what ?

And when using those spoilers you can't use ailerons ? Put them on a "spring" switch ?

I was always curious about this..

Thanks in advance for explanation !

Greetings,

Jappie
Jappie,

Spoilerons are using the ailerons in an UP position to "Spoil" the lifting effect of air over the wing. This helps a bunch when Patty is floating in ground effect down the runway. Also helps keep the plane on the ground as she bleeds off speed. The ailerons are still fully effective. The amount of throw will affect the sink rate and as always you use the throttle to adjust not the elevator. As noted above 3/4 in will likely require more speed at landing. I'm happy at 3/8 in. The plane required no mixing of elevator.

Use a dedicated switch not a spring switch to activate. My futaba has an "Air Brake" switch I'm sure JR's have the same.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:33 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Rocketman is right on the money. He explained it very nicely. I would only add that to accomplish this, you need to divide your ailerons onto two channels and use a spoileron program for mixing them, if you have one. This way, you can set it up on your landing mode switch. Otherwise you can just use a master slave mix.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:24 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary I'm so sorry you fell for my joke. I was just being a smart ***** asking about the Fuji engine.

I've been doing great. I've been flying my newer DPM Edge 27% lately and it really flies nice. My buddy has a Patty with a ZDZ 50NG and the plane weighs only 16 pounds. It seems like it will do any 3D trick in the book at that weight. He's having a lot of fun with it.

Yeah come on up and visit us sometime. We need someone to come up and show us how it's done.

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Joe, if your looking to 3D this plane, i would go with the DA50cc or FPE 52cc. Light yet very strong. 22X8 or 23X8 prop. How have you been? I was stuck in Chicago this weekend. I should have come up and seen you guys. I have Patty with me, as usual.
ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

Will a Fuji 50 3D this thing? Will it be under 20 pounds?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:15 PM
torqmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Patty will definitely 3D with a ZDZ50. I recomend that you be in the 7,000 rpm range to 3D your PW. From everything I've learned, the power range for 50cc engines isbetween 7,000- 7,500 rpms. On landing, with the larger aircraft, I tend to have a more shallow landing approach & use engine rpm to "hit the spot". As you can see from the avitar, I live in Henderson, just down the road from you. Feel fre to call with any questions- 903-854-2967.
ORIGINAL: Super D

I finnally flew my PW with the ZDZ 50/22x10 bambula. Flies great I just need work on landing this big bird. I landed it 4 times, I just bounced 2 or 3 times everytime. Takes a while to get this plane to stop, I guess the weigh/mass just takes more runway than I'm used to with my 40 size planes. I like the plane I just need to fly it more to get more comfortable.
Curiosity??? Is this plane capable of 3D type flying with a good pilot? I'd hate to try hovering if its not really capable.

RC foolish I see your point or loss of interest in this thread. I also feel this site as helpful and time saving. I feel my time is better spent building/flying, than reading through 2000 posts. Self employed,kids and trying to get a new house built, Its hard to find time for RC'ing.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
mancha

My last post on this threat was around page 18 to 25, any ways for those starting 50 pages ago, I lost my canopy doing snap rolls the other day, the dowel got loose and I found out it had little ( if any) hot glue on it, It staid stock in the fuse hole.

Great Planes does not have canopies available so I patched mine as good as I could, It dropped from a hight level!, So watch out for this !!

No, the ZDZ 40 is not enough, now it is fully broken in ( finally!) I feel , I need more power period.

the manual call between 41 and 65 cc. so bottom line 40cc is the lowest recommended gas engine!!

Landing the plane just take more meters, dare to attack the leading edge and drain airspeed, it floats a lot!!

I fly with a Brambula 20x10; I hope for a 22x6, that prop will make it easier to land however, I have not found it yet, I believe someone has advertised it to come soon!

I am still happy with the plane after a year or so, she gets to go to the flying field at least 3 time a month, although the new Hangar 9 extra 260 with a DA 50 is calling me!!

I love knife edge flying and inverted flat spins to dead and she does them beautiful!

It is much better built than the Giles that came before she, however she is still a little on the heavy side for my taste.

Maybe I will stick with she and, changes like DA50, carbon fiber landing gear and spinner, better servos, bolly prop? , rudder servo inside fuse and of course a new canopy will keep her going to the field!!
Old 07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
downhumpty
My Feedback: (1)

Nice plane, Fly's great.

17 3/4 lbs. WET
3W50
3W 22 X 10 @ 6200 rpm
8411's
Futaba PCM Rx.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14216.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	301474  
Old 07-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Wing-Ding

For those of you who installed a DA-50 on Patty and used the Slimline muffler, did anyone use the gasket that came with the DA? I noticed on the Slimline instructions, it is recommended to use High temp silicone. It also recommended AGAINST using the DA-50 gasket. Has anyone used the high-temp silicone for attaching the muffler to the DA? How did you keep the stuff from squishing out when tightening? What are your thoughts about using the gasket?

Also, I noticed a lot of the Patty photos in this thread show the Pitts Muffler attached without the support bracket. Did anyone use the bracket that came with the Slimline Pitts?

Thanks,

Marl
Old 07-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marl,

Running a TS-42 and used a bracket to help support the muffler. Used High Temp Silicone to seal the muffler. Just clean both surfaces well with some alcohol. Run a bead of silicone then carefully and evenly screw down the bolts. Some silicone will "ooze" it's OK.

Pete
Old 07-26-2005, 09:28 PM
downhumpty
My Feedback: (1)

Most of the high-temp gasket maker (silicone) I have used, instructions describe letting the bead of silicone skin before mating the two parts together. This will eliminate or minimize the oozing out of the silicone. Think about it, if it oozes out, it oozes in.
On the 3W50 and 3W75 I use the supplied gasket and purchase extra from AI or Cactus. I highly suggest using the support bracket. The single cylinder engines kick hard. You will need all the support you can get. Just food for thought.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 PM
3D-Hooligan
My Feedback: (38)

I used the red hi-temp rtv on my ZDZ50NG with a pitts muffler and I had no problems. Just put a thin covering on one side try not to go to close to the inside edge of the muffler so when it oozes it will not ooz to the inside

3D-hooligan
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Wing-Ding

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I used the high-temp gasket material and also installed the Slimline Pitts muffler bracket per your recommendations and everything went fine.

I also spoke with DA and they also recommended using the high-temp silicone RTV and not the gasket that came with the engine (they said to keep it for emergency field repairs). They said one other interesting thing: The aluminum head bolts actually bend a small amount when they are tightened down because the surface on which they sit is slightly curved. This is done by design so the head bolts act as their own lock washers (even so, they still recommended using blue thread lock when putting the head bolt back in). I was concerned about correct torque, but they said there wasn't really a torque spec, but to tighten it until the head of the bolt seats completely.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:37 AM
robert4u

Hey guys,

Last week I bought a patty as well.
I've read up to page 90 now on this thread and came across some very good information.
I started building already and just hope that I won't make any mistakes which you pointed out in the thread after page 90 [sm=bananahead.gif]

Although the DA-50 is propably the best engine for this plane I didn't feel like going for a gas-engine.
So I bought a Saito 300 boxer.It will be a little heavierer but will still have enough power to burn some holes in the sky. And I'm not looking for an extreme 3D-machine in the patty, because for 3D I'm flying a Funtana S140

So to all of you, thanks for all the input in this thread , it just makes it easier to build the (almost)perfekt patty in one go.

OK, page 91, here we go.......

Robert
Old 08-08-2005, 06:47 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Robert.. Good goin dude! I've got a question for ya. After reading 90 some odd pages, is there any questions you didn't get answered in one way or another?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:05 AM
robert4u

Hi,

I did it!! Just finished reading the 121 pages. [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

@ John: I'm still building my patty, so maybe some questions will arise in the next few weeks, but for now I believe all the answers are in this thread.
By reading all pages and one's own experience everybody should be able to build the Patty that suits him!
By the way I really like the way you mounted the enginecowling.

Robert
Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
John Murdoch

Robert.. Anyone that has read through all that crap deserves any help he/she needs. I don't fly the Patty much anymore (once every couple of months) but I've still got her hanging on the wall. I've been flying my composite-arfs and currently getting a 42% Extra 260 done. As been mentioned before, just keep the Patty as light as you possibly can and you'll have a ball with it. Start weighing her down, and you'll be awfully busy with your thumbs, especially with the landings.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:54 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

My Patty is finally done and weighed in at 17.4 lbs with DA-50, pull pull and Graph Tech Gear. Balances just a pinch nose heavy and I will leave it alone for now. I assume it will be ok for now, right??? I do have a smoke system for it though that I would like to add. I will keep it on the side for now.
Jack
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 AM
robert4u

Hi,

today when I was trying to get the cowl on I noticed that when I line it up with the spinnerbackplate that the gap on the lowerside of the spinner is about a few mm's smaller than on the topside.
When I try to correct it then my spinnerbackplate isn't lining up anymore with the top of the cowl.
It lookes like the engine is to high, although I mounted it correctly.

So my question is have you guys build in some extra downthrust on the engine,because this would solve my problem???
Another solution is to use a slightly smaller spinner.

Do any of you know where to get a spinner that's made of carbonfiber (light) and already painted white???

Thank you,

Robert
Old 08-10-2005, 12:15 PM
John Murdoch

Robert.. I hate to say this bud, but I don't think your problem is with the spinner. I think it's the way you mounted your cowl. You say you mounted your engine correctly, right? Well, the cowl is supposed to match the way you installed the engine. So, again, I hate to say this, but it seem to me like you're going to have some cowl readjusting to do. Loosen up all the cowl bolts and see if you can push the bottom in a little. Then retighten the bolts. I just looked at mine and it does seem to be a little closer at the bottom, but there's still about a 3/16" gap at the bottom.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 PM
John Murdoch

Robert.. Put a shim between the backplate and the cowl before you tighten up the screws. See if that works before you start filling and re-drilling holes...
Old 08-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Zeeb

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

In one of the early posts, Jason (sorry I don't remember his username, but he's from SLC and built a really nice model) noted that the engine centerline of his DA 50 didn't line up for the top of the cowl and spinner. So he actually dropped the engine mount about 1/8" IIRC.

I'm putting an new cowl on the Patty I bought from a guy, and I'm experiencing the same problem you have, and that Jason talked about. If you adjust the cowl for an even top line, you get a bit of a bent up look on the airplane when viewed from the side and the narrower gap at the bottom. So I fudged it a little with a slightly smaller gap on the bottom and not exactly lined up on top, or a 1/4" smaller spinner would work as well and may be the best alternative.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
robert4u

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I haven't started drilling in my cowl,First taped it to the fuselage and then I noticed this difference.
I measured twice before installing the engine so I know this is done right.
I will buy a spinner which is just a little smaller to see how that will work out, otherwise I will have to lower the engine(which I really don't wanna do), to get a good result!!

Robert

Old 08-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Zeeb

Robert,

As Jason noted when he changed the engine mount position on his, this would affect the thrust line, how much or what kind of effect that would have is something neither he, nor am I, qualified to address.

I think part of the problem is that this model is designed to accommodate a number of different engines and differences in the orientation of the crank to the mounting area of each engine is probably a bit different. If I'd had a slightly smaller spinner last night when I did mine, or the inclination to wait and drop a $100 on a new Tru-Turn, I'd have used it.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 PM
k2bdv
My Feedback: (13)

I just bought a patty 300 and im wondering if a zenoah g45 would be a good engine..
Old 08-10-2005, 08:46 PM
k2bdv
My Feedback: (13)

i was wondering if futaba s3305 servos would work in my patty 300 im using a zenoah g45..hope it doesnt vibrate my servos apart..
Old 08-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Zeeb

k2,

I see that you are new so welcome and I'll offer a little advice for your consideration.

There are no black and white answers to your questions since a lot of different components and techniques will work for this airplane, so there are a lot of opinions. Your best bet is to read, or at least scan through this thread and probably every question you might have will have been addressed multiple times by various contributors. It took me several days of reading to get through the entire thread, but it was worthwhile in my opinion.

If that doesn't appeal to you, despite the wealth of information you could pick up, try out the search engine and how to narrow down your results. Then if you have questions that have not been answered, go ahead and ask them. Otherwise it kind of irritates those folks who have been kind enough to answer these same questions you've asked multiple times through the thread, and occasionally some of them will let you know about how they feel.

It's just good forum etiquette to scan the forum before asking questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.