Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:25 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patty Wagstaff - Building & Flying

Zeeb... WELL SAID.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:26 AM
k2bdv
My Feedback: (13)

just bought my patty,wondering if a g45 would work good with this airplane..
Old 08-13-2005, 01:02 AM
eagletalon
My Feedback: (21)

power to weight ratio it`s not worth it, but it will fly it. just my two cents i`am flying patty with a 3.2 walker 3.1/2 lbs . da 50 is the way to go you will be very satisfied. this is a very nice plane. and will fly much nicer if you keep it light....
Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 AM
robert4u

Hi guys,

I'm still building and I have a question which I can't remember that it has been asked before.

Do you have built in some extra side-thrust on your engine because when I look at mine the from the top it doesn't seem to have al lot of side-thrust at all.

Have a nice weekend

Robert
Old 08-19-2005, 07:26 AM
John Murdoch

Use what's there.. It's fine. Then make any adjustments as necessary. I've had three and only had to change one, just a little bit... but I can't remember which way.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:52 AM
robert4u

Thanks John,

I just wanted to line up the cowl exactly with the spinnerbackplate, so that's why I asked.
I will put it together the way it is then , and hope that I don't have to adjust it to much

Robert
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 AM
John Murdoch

Robert.. Yeah, the one adjustment I made was so minimal that it really didn't affect the spinner centering much. Not where it was noticable. You'll be able to tell what you need after you set your cg where you want it etc. Then start fiddling with any off-sets. Usually with a little rearward cg, the built in thrust line was right on the money..
Old 08-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Wing-Ding

I had a question relating to the placement of the fuel dot. I've seen at least a couple of photos in this thread where the fuel dot is placed in its scale location according to where Patty's plane has it- right on top and in front of the canopy. But there is a wooden stringer that runs right down the middle. I just hate drilling a hole right through the middle of it for the fuel dot. Wouldn't that weaken the plane structurally? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wing Ding,

I had mine on top also in front of the stringer but after a few months the sheeting was getting soft. I doubled it and moved the dot to the side and it's been fine since.

Pete
Old 08-20-2005, 10:07 PM
John Murdoch

I strengthened a part of the cowl with 3/16" ply and epoxy covered with a little fiberglass, drilled and hole and mounted it right in the side of the cowl. Works fine there.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:12 AM
bsea67

Anyone have this plane set up on a futaba 7cap? Interested to see others set up. Concerned that with the 7cap and 7 chn. receiver will not have an open nslot on the receiver for back u-p battery....
Old 08-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Wing-Ding

Thanks for your help,

Rocketman: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand where yours is located. My stringer runs on top from the firewall to the front edge of the canopy. What did you mean "in front of the stringer"? Also, did you mean the side of the plane or to the side of the stringer but still on top? I was considering putting it off center and on top. That way, I wouldn't have to cut into the stringer, but it would still be close to its scale position. I could double up the sheeting thickness at the fuel dot. I have the DA fuel dot and it requires a BIG hole.

John: I may end up putting it in the cowl after all. Then the Tee could be in the engine area- perhaps more serviceable. Thanks for that info.

Marl
Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 PM
John Murdoch

That's exactly what I did. Unplug your DA fill cap and whala, take the cowl off. It's just plain easier to install and get to. It's also easier to check for leaks or tubing condition (because the tee is somewhere up there in the fuse. I had one way up in the fuse.. Man what a pain! Never again, unless I have good access.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: Wing-Ding

Thanks for your help,

Rocketman: I'm sorry, but I didn't understand where yours is located. My stringer runs on top from the firewall to the front edge of the canopy. What did you mean "in front of the stringer"? Also, did you mean the side of the plane or to the side of the stringer but still on top? I was considering putting it off center and on top. That way, I wouldn't have to cut into the stringer, but it would still be close to its scale position. I could double up the sheeting thickness at the fuel dot. I have the DA fuel dot and it requires a BIG hole.

John: I may end up putting it in the cowl after all. Then the Tee could be in the engine area- perhaps more serviceable. Thanks for that info.

Marl

Marl,
My bad[X(] Yes it was off center to the left. In front of the 1st former. It is now on the side in the blue line. Between the two striners that run down the side.

Pete
Old 08-21-2005, 09:45 PM
sleepyc
My Feedback: (20)

Help Help Help!!

Does anyone have an extra AILERON for the GP. Patty Wag.
I need the right side looking at the plane from the front.
Mine ripped out today and was lost forever!!

Or if anyone has info on where to get a replacement please email me: [email protected]

Thanks in advance!!
SC[&:]
Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 AM
driveone2

Well guys, after reading 100's of post and stressing over building my first gasser taking into account all the info posted here I got Patty up on her maiden last weekend....WOW...what a plane. DA-50R purformed flawless...Love that choke servo...can't get over how easy this plane lands....Many thanks to all who gave advice and a special thanks to Jason and yes to Basin too...lol.....all i can offer is take your time and build her right and you'll love this bird....enough said...I'm goin flyin seee ya
Old 08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
One-O-Wonder

Cheap & Cheerful

About five weeks ago one of my flying buddies brought his GP Patty Wagstaff out to our flying field. After flying it around for awhile and doing several aerobatic maneuvers he retracted the landing gear on landing. Since he and I were the only ones at the field I carried it back to the pits for him. When I set it down he began to strip servos of the gal. When I ask him what he was doing he said "Just as soon as I can get my gear off of it , it's yours!" This wasn't the first time he had wiped the gear off on landing and he was tired of repeairing the beast. Well I loaded the ole gal in the back of my truck and took her home to survey the damage. The previous gear retractions had done significant damage that had just been patched so I decided to give the ole girl a major rebuild of the gear box area. While working on her one of my other buddies offered to swap a "brand new in the box" Fuji 64A for a surplus plane of mine he had the hots for. After checking this forum I was worried that the engine might not fly the ole gal very well (too heavy)but decided to make the swap anyway. After a few weeks more of work and some major upgrades ( 6 new JR high torque MG servos, new recv, 2700 miah nimh battery, etc) the ole gal looked pretty good. So this past weekend after checking weight & balance ( she weighs 17 lbs and has no lead weight added) and running two tanks of gas through the engine, I decided it was time to see if the ole gal still could fly. My flying filed is at 6000 ft in Colorado so flying here is no easy feat. After starting the engine and taxing out, I gave her half throttle and she flew off the runway on her own as straight as an arrow. She only needed a click of elevator trim and she flew like she was on rails. After flying her around for about 5 mins I entered the traffic pattern and watched as she flew final approach as gentle as a lamb. She touched down smoothly with several clicks of throttle and rolled to a stop. WOW! what a great plane and engine combo. Since Saturday I've logged eight flights on her doing all the basic IMAC sequence during the final flight this afternoon. Since I was given the airframe and swapped and traded for most of the rest of the stuff this is truly a "cheap & cheerful" plane that I plan to fly a lot. Who says gas has to cost a lot?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: One-O-Wonder

Cheap & Cheerful

About five weeks ago one of my flying buddies brought his GP Patty Wagstaff out to our flying field. After flying it around for awhile and doing several aerobatic maneuvers he retracted the landing gear on landing. Since he and I were the only ones at the field I carried it back to the pits for him. When I set it down he began to strip servos of the gal. When I ask him what he was doing he said "Just as soon as I can get my gear off of it , it's yours!" This wasn't the first time he had wiped the gear off on landing and he was tired of repeairing the beast. Well I loaded the ole gal in the back of my truck and took her home to survey the damage. The previous gear retractions had done significant damage that had just been patched so I decided to give the ole girl a major rebuild of the gear box area. While working on her one of my other buddies offered to swap a "brand new in the box" Fuji 64A for a surplus plane of mine he had the hots for. After checking this forum I was worried that the engine might not fly the ole gal very well (too heavy)but decided to make the swap anyway. After a few weeks more of work and some major upgrades ( 6 new JR high torque MG servos, new recv, 2700 miah nimh battery, etc) the ole gal looked pretty good. So this past weekend after checking weight & balance ( she weighs 17 lbs and has no lead weight added) and running two tanks of gas through the engine, I decided it was time to see if the ole gal still could fly. My flying filed is at 6000 ft in Colorado so flying here is no easy feat. After starting the engine and taxing out, I gave her half throttle and she flew off the runway on her own as straight as an arrow. She only needed a click of elevator trim and she flew like she was on rails. After flying her around for about 5 mins I entered the traffic pattern and watched as she flew final approach as gentle as a lamb. She touched down smoothly with several clicks of throttle and rolled to a stop. WOW! what a great plane and engine combo. Since Saturday I've logged eight flights on her doing all the basic IMAC sequence during the final flight this afternoon. Since I was given the airframe and swapped and traded for most of the rest of the stuff this is truly a "cheap & cheerful" plane that I plan to fly a lot. Who says gas has to cost a lot?

Great story. Patty just needed the right touch

Enjoy,
Pete
Old 08-23-2005, 12:34 AM
driveone2

While reading your post I was grinnin so hard thinkin about mine my face was hurting. She's a bute to fly. Smoothess landings of any plane at our field. Mine setup with DA-50, dubro pull-pull with 5645's all around Futaba 149 rec, choke servo. Weighed in at 16.3 but added 3ozs of lead in the tail to balance. Built up the firewall with aluminum plating 1mm thick for added strength and glued the h@%% out of all joints through out the whole plane. I could talk on and on about this plane....Also have a Wildhare 540 but I like the Patty a lot better of the two.....flies like a trainer.

Happy flyin...gotta go down the basement and give her one more stare.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 AM
robert4u

Hi,

well I just finished patty. Yesterday I already did a few break-in runs on my engine, so when the weather stays good today , patty will have her maiden-flight this afternoon, Im looking forward to it.

Robert
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
robert4u

Just back from the airfield. I made 2 succesfull flights with patty and I only can say WOW
I'm amazed how slow she can fly without any tendency to snap, and her landings and very smooth
And then the sound of the saito boxer, just perfect.
I'm looking already forward to the next flights probably tomorrow

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17442.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	314538  
Old 08-24-2005, 04:25 PM
Wing-Ding

I made some progress on Patty. Here are a few pics of the carb linkage and pitts muffler bracket.

Name:	Vs55542.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	314570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15089.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	314571  
Old 08-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Wing-Ding

Here are a couple more

Name:	Mk26363.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	314572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13212.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	314573  
Old 08-24-2005, 04:54 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone have a picture of the under side of the wing? Im not sure where I want to put the last decal.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Wing-Ding

This is the only one I could find. Kind of an oblique angle.

Name:	Hf98301.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	314587  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.