Community
Search
Notices
Digital Video (DV) & Video Editing Software Discuss the use of digital video which we use to show our rc stuff off on the web. Talk about products, editing software, tips, ratings, rendering to the web, etc

What kind of Camcorder is everbody using?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Performance-RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of Camcorder is everbody using?

Just curious to see what else is out there.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:49 AM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What kind of Camcorder is everbody using?

Sony TRV-120 digital 8.
Firewire/Analog/S-Video IO.
Old 08-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i'm using a canon GL2, but i use it for alot more than just RC stuff. (i havent posted here in so long...)
Old 08-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Performance-RC

How do you like that GL2?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:37 PM
Billiam411

you get what you pay for ($2000), and in the GL2's case, its awesome. I can't believe I could ever stand any other camera.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
Performance-RC

I was thinking about buying one in addition to my XL1s, I was wondering how the quality compares, but its hard to tell. What don't you like about it?
Old 09-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Billiam411

well, like any camcorder it's size and smaller, its pretty hard to keep steady free handing it, as opposed to the XL1(s)'s optional shoulder pads and whatnot. And, again, like all camcorders, this internal mike is crap, but at least the GL2 boasts manual volume displays and dials to change them (in stereo too.) I'll probably think of some more later and post them here.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Sky High

DV Camcorders

I own/operate the Canon XL-1 and have shot with the XL-1s, PD-150, DVX 100 and the new Sony Z1 HDV. It just depends on how much money you want to spend. The Canon GL-2 is a great camera with a lot of the XL benefits as far as quality. I'm not sure about consumer lines but the most popular prosumer DV cameras in use are the GL-2, XL-1/s/2, Sony PD-170, Panasonic DVX 100.

There are now HDV systems made by Canon - XL H1, Sony Z1, Panasonic HVX 200 and JVC HD 100 but they are all above $5000. The new Panasonic records to tape as well as a new technology for video recording call P2 PC cards. This allows you to record up to 45 minutes of HDV quality video on a PC card and about 8-10 minutes of true 1080i HD video. All you do is remove the card and slip it into a laptop or desktop PC card slot and it is recognized as a drive which means no load time! The only downside is that each card costs about $1700!
Old 12-11-2005, 09:37 PM
ChixwithTrix
My Feedback: (8)

I use a Sony DCR-TVR140 Digi8 at the moment and working on getting a Canon XL2 for R/C and other uses
Old 12-13-2005, 11:13 PM
RCFlyer

I started out with a GE camcorder that had a separate VCR recorder and battery pack that
the camera plugged into. It took great movies of planes flying.

Next camcorder was an RCA that used the full size VCR tape. The problem was it took
lousy movies of planes flying. It would blur the color of the plane. I exchanged it for another
one, but it did the same thing, so I sold it.

I now have a Sony TVR-68 Hi-8 analog camcorder that takes good movies.

How does the digital camcorder handle tracking the color on a moving plane?

Clarence
Old 12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

I just bought a Panasonic PV-GS150. It's a 3CCD DV unit, very light and with easy to operate controls. Normal price is about $700.00, Circuit City has $70.00 off in store, and you get a $50.00 mail in rebate. I've only shot my friends 1/4 Cub in the air so far, but it promises to be a great camera for the price. I tried shooting from the hip, but every time I zoomed, I would shake the camera. I am trying my large tripod this weekend. I also have a Hi8 Analog Canon camcorder, and that will be the on board camera (37-40% Aerobatic Planes).
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 PM
eardoc

Avoid the Samsung Duo-Cam. It has video and a separate 5.1 still camera in the same housing.
The still camera is good
The video is awful for RC planes
With the default auto focus it spends 90% of the time blurred.
With manual focus it is very difficult to set accurately.
So flight videos are pretty nasty.
We're now looking into a better video and the Samsung was about $800
Old 01-02-2006, 07:26 PM
charrua
My Feedback: (47)

I got a sony mini DV the DCR-TRV38 and it has worked great for me I even put on on a plane to have an aerial video made it's not meant for planes but I have made all the videos on our site with it!!!!

what I like the most it has a 3.5'' Touch Panel LCD!!! and that's pretty big on a DV camera
Old 03-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Nomadio_Dave

I've use a Sony DCR-510 (D8mm), a occasionally a Canon GL2, and most recently, my new Sony HVR-A1.

For action stuff, I like a smaller camcorder.. the GL2 was borderline. The old Sony, with its 4" screen, was actually sometimes the best unit, but that's progress... high-end today, vs. high-end ten years ago.

D8 is certainly not better/worse than DV, the logic is the same, but I wouldn't recommend Digital8 today, it's on the way out. I like the high definition of the new Sony. In theory, you'll have worse motion artifacts using HDV or ANY MPEG-2 format. In practice, I haven't found that to be an issue yet, and certainly, HDV is just better than DV in sharpness. But of course, with HDV you still have alternate formats like DV or DVCam, so you're not married to the MPEG encoding. I would steer clear of DVD, HD, or memory recorders for anything short of a helmet-cam, just due to this factor. And I actually have a JVC "pocket" DV camera for that sort of duty... another old one, and considered expendable at this point. Small enough to go in an eMaxx...

-Dave
Old 03-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Descent

im using a canon zr 45mc digi cam corder. its got firewire and svideo outs, a nice 4inch lcd and uses 60min digital tapes.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM
xilix

Panasonic PVGS-120 here. Worth every single penny. I wish the CCD's were larger, but hey, you can't go wrong with a 3CCD under $1000. I have mine up for trade right now and I've been having some serious second thoughts about getting rid of it.

Tip for GS-120/150 users: using EIS degrades video quality, and digital zoom should always be off (it's useless).
Old 03-24-2006, 06:38 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I had a sony DCR-DVD105 but I just exchanged it for a sony DCR-HC26. I found that with the DVD handycam's There was very little that could be done with it, I do not know why sony never made it so you can connect it to a computer
Old 03-25-2006, 11:53 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Canon S2 IS 5 mega pixel still camera- they are now 400 bucks - video is included
best videos are 480x640 at 30 fps and in stereo sound
the results are absolutely amazing -if you use high speed card (add 75$) -you get still 8 min on a quality, 1 Gg card
I I have to use good compression software to reduce the video shot at the high res on a file - say 48 m -- can be reduced to under 4m and still look "good" and ship as Email over my server --who allows up to 5 m.
I use it to shoot pics of engine setups, tuning etc.. a video with sound is worth a thousand words -the props look good - as they run in /out of sync with the frame rate . (strobe effect)
My local service is fibre optics into the home - allowing 8-5 down n up loading speeds really fast so now I get to take advantage of the video stuff.
For high altitude shots of stuf smoking up the skies - get a big video camera - but for most stuff this is one terrific does it all machine.
One other nifty feature is that you can grab a shot during video takes - and have a great "5" megapixel shot for a still. just tap the still button while video is running .
Old 01-14-2007, 03:08 PM
extra-nut

Panasonic VDR-D300
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM
JIMinKENTUCKY

Sony HC-1

Link to my site of a few RC jet videos I shot with it.
http://www.jims-rc-flight.com/2006Bl...lingGreen.html
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Until recently I was using the Sony DCR-TRV310 Digital 8. But it was big and heavy. I just got the Canon ZR850. It is much smaller and lighter and does great video.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
JKEpps

ORIGINAL: JIMinKENTUCKY

Sony HC-1

Link to my site of a few RC jet videos I shot with it.
http://www.jims-rc-flight.com/2006Bl...lingGreen.html
I'm also using a SOny HC-1. It's a great camera, for me at least, and once you capture at Hi-Def, you don't want to go back. Of course HD has it's own issues like storage, portability, file size, but there are solutions for all of those.

-Jorden
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 AM
jeep1809

Sony HDR-SR11 ... maiden flight pending ... looking for electrical rather than servo releases ...
Old 03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Sony HC3 w/ Ulead Video Studio 10... learning curve with HD was apparent with both use and editing. The quality of your footage is sick though... and true widescreen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75KZeTzu8I4

somegeek