Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Freestyle Rush

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Freestyle Rush

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freestyle Rush

they are one and the same thing.. the show is at the hop farm.
can't make the nats tho.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:24 PM
slyms

Ahaaa!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Is your birthdate posted correctly? From the picture you posted you dont look 94??!! I fly in South Jersey,a member of the Sky Devils out of Landisville air strip. Im just starting to get seriously into 3D. I have a 60 size U-Can-Do with a Moki 1.35 and I dont regret going this large. I dont have to go full throttle ever,hovers at 1/3 throttle,climbs out at 1/2,ballistic at full. I had to put OS carb on the Moki and mix up my own fuel to get the Moki running right. The UCD (U-Can_Do) does the neatest high-alph knife edge harrier,& knife edge elevators. I can do figure 8's in this attitude all day and pretty low. I found if I mix in up-elev to up-flaps I can turn around in high-alpha knife edge even in 20+ winds. Im looking for my next 3D plane, the Rush looks like it meets my budget and skill level.
The UCD is a handfull to harrier in level attitude, I will probably get the Rush based on the way you & others say it Harriers. If I cant have one plane that does it all, I'll settle for 2 that will. Has anyone tried a cline on the Saitos using the backplate tap rather than muffler? I wonder if it will burst the tank or run bad? I'm asking because I have the tank on my UCD over CG(about 12" back from the engine). This makes sense to me,why not have the CG remain constant throughout the flight? I just wonder if the Saitos will run that way,Ive had poor results w/Saitos and the Cline using muffler tap. If you are familiar with Landisville and are driving on Weymouth road, look for us next to the grass air strip. If the weather is great, someone is usually there.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

James, if you have a UCD, there is no need for a rush.. Program spoilerons in it, maybe that will help you a bit. Is your CG back enough?
Old 12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
MIXMASTER

My CG is about 6" back. Ive tried spoilerons up as far as they can go, still too much rocking for me. Another club member can make it harrier but said it takes every input possible to steady it. I was hoping for an easier time with it but might have to just keep trying. It must be the wings that are the problem cause knife edge harriers are a breeze. Another club member has a Quest and a Giles, both planes have thinner,more conventional air foils. They both harrier much easier,very little rocking. Come to think of it,maybe I should get a Quest,it also flies easy knife edge too.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Shahid

Im leaning to one of these, possibly, as a replacement airplane if something goes wrong (which it always does), I heard good things about flying. But whats the build quality? Any dry joints? Parts fits? etc etc what mods were made also, I heard of people putting the servos in the tail etc....
Old 01-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Luke 3D returns

From what i have seen the build quality does look good. Considering how light it is I think the internal structure would have to be very sound too to survive the loads that i have seen them put through in 3d.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:53 PM
dean3d

I must admit that the freestyle rush is the best 40 size plane i have ever flown.i love mine.and have now had about 300 flights with it.Its been to most of the shows last year.On a irvine 53 its pretty good.Myh mate also has a rush with a ys 63 and thats lovely.and it 3d's a treat i love it...

Dean
Old 01-23-2005, 02:30 AM
gooose

Hi All

Has anyone flown the Freestyle Rush with a 46ax ? I just purchased the freestyle and want to use it for basic aerobatics, will the engine do?
If the 46ax will do the job, what size prop do you recommend? Any other info that might help, please let me know.

Gooose

He is safe from danger, whom is on guard even when safe.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:57 AM
kinverflyer

Great machine, what engine are thinking of using? My lad flies his with a Super Tigre G51 with a throttle pipe enough power to pull out of the prop hang.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Jojoen

Well a bit late since this thread has been around for some time.. But I thought I would state what I found in my 4 flights since I used this thread to get started.

I built my Rush with electro...
Equipment:
AXI 4130/16
16x8 APC E
6S 2600mah LIPO
2 Graupner C351 (3,5kg, 24g)
2 Volz Micro maxx HP digital on rudder/elev (6kg, 24g)
Ubec
Total weight 2,55kg
Had power for 12m/s vertikal and could fly easily 7-9min 3D at 38A

I found the 140mm CG to be way to aft so I changed to 110mm and that seemed much better (next would have been the factory 100mm)
I set up the motor with 0/0 thrust and did not have to click the trim at all from neutral

The model flew very nice and was soft in the flying and still rocking in the 3D.
The set was complete and was nicely built. I did have some extra carbon on the joiner and the screws for wheels was a bit too short but did not find any other faults.

So conclusion: I liked the model very much and it did just what I wanted. Simple F3A or 3D acro with a relatively cheap electro plant.

Sadly I only got 4 flights and 3 of them with reduced power since there was a fault on my battery. The results was a burnt out model within one minute during charging. NEVER charge in the plane, car or at home...
I have now stepped up to the Adrenaline to try that

Regards Jojo
www.grini.no (more in my diary for march 2005)
Old 03-28-2005, 01:22 PM
MarkHenderson
My Feedback: (12)

I got a Rush about a month ago on the basis of this thread. My son and I were looking for a plane that could 3D and do some nice smooth pattern, and the Rush seemed to fit the bill. Basically we wanted something as aerobatic as a Shocky, but bigger and smoother, too! After our first flights (more below), I can say quite happily that this meets the bill!

Building: pretty normal ARF quality, overall good. 2 real problems: 1) warped ailerons - both are really badly twisted, improve with some attnetion from the heat gun, but you can't use the fixed part of the wing outboard of the ailerons for neutral, you have to eyeball the ailerons from the rear. So far not enough flights to tell if the remaining warps are affecting the trim, my instinct is that they are not. 2) The two landing gear pieces appear to come from different batches and end up with one wheel a good 1-1.5inches behind the other! It still rolls straight, just looks bad from above...

Setup: YS .63 (original flavor, stock muffler), 14x4W APC (the motor just hated a 13x6). Weight 5.3lbs/2.4kg which is over the 2.25kg on the box top?? I was a bit disappointed by that (I tried not to add any unecessary weight). I did use standard size servos (Futaba S3004) and perhaps the YS is a little heavier than a 2 stroke. NO real problems as the YS can hover it at 1/2 throttle, though... I put the ele servo in the suggested location in the tail, and moved the rudder servo to the tail based on what I read here. There is a nice open bay on the underside of the fuse where the rudder servo fits perfectly and has a straight rod to the rudder. Looks alittle ugly out there in the breeze, but it works - and gets the CG back. Balanced for first flights at 120mm, based on this thread. High rates set for "crazy" throws, low rates eyeballed for more sedate work.

Flying: Flew right off the board! Needed only couple of clicks of elevator (up), and tracked/grooved well. It was rolling/pulling to the left wing and falling off to the left on verticals, and I subsequently found the lateral balance was off to that side (10gms in right wing fixed that). Also my elev halves were not exactly aligned. But it was OBVIOUSLY very nose heavy at 120mm - I cannot imagine how bad it would be at 100mmor 110mm?! I'm not the 3Der, but even for my tastes it was unpleasantly nose heavy. Moved the CG back to 125mm (all I could manage at the field) and it started to come alive. We definitely want to move it back more, and I can imagine 140 will be good for 3D, perhaps a little sensitive for me. My son (14) was able to hover, tumble, snap etc to his heart's content. The plane flies LIGHT and once you experience such a low wing loading you won't want to go back!! Rolling on high rates is just insane! Stall is very benign and doesn't drop a wing - very nice. It will snap on high elevator, but you have to expect that!

So far we love it - some minor tweaks and we will be out next weekend to wring it out. Highly recommended.

Mark and Ryan
Old 05-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Born2Fly
My Feedback: (21)

Well it seems like that the plane i was looking for pattern 3D combination. Now, where can i buy one??? Thank you in advance.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:40 AM
CTB

Yesterday I re-kitted my OS 50 SX equipped Rush due to a severe case of thumb - brain disconnection. Liked the plane so much that I want to build another one - ASAP.

I always thought that the OS 50 was a bit marginal for absolutely mental 3D - for example the punch out of the hover just wasn't there. So the new one will have a Saito - but which one?

The choice is between the 82 at 500 grams (inc silencer) (17.5 oz) and 1.5 HP or the 100 at 605 grams (21.3 oz) and 1.8 HP. Disregarded the 90 as it's only slightly more powerful than the 82 and only slightly lighter than the 100!

I've heard about several people fitting OS91FX 2 strokes (650 grams - 23 oz all up) so obviously it is possible to cope with the weight of the Saito 100. However am I going to notice that extra 100+ grams in terms of the aerodynamic response of the aircraft?

Thoughts / comments?
Old 07-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Nickolas

This plane is being considered for 3D sport and pattern flying. The engine options are Saito 82 (like previous post) or YS-63. Which one would recommend for better balancing? I plan to use JR 591s (std high torque servos plastic gear) on ailerons and two high torque metal gear servos on the tail. Any servo recommendations? Any weak points that must be taken into consideration? Have you used the hardware pack supplied?

Old 08-07-2005, 07:49 PM
peejay

I've just bought a Rush, plus a Saito 82. Looking at the engine installation, the supplied 8 oz tank looks to be on the small side (14-16 oz recommended at http://saito-engines.info/ ) - but fitting a larger tank would involve opening out the tank bay a fair bit. What have other people done about this?

Also, with the engine mounted inverted the tank is going to sit well above the needle valve. From what I've read, that's likely to lead to problems with the engine cutting at idle. Does anyone has experience they could share of whether they've found this to be a problem in practice?

Thanks!
Phil
Old 09-05-2005, 02:58 PM
jdmorris

I take it that an irvine 53 will be underpowered for this model. I may be able to get hold of a cheap asp 90 fs, would this do?

What pattern/3D hybrid model (available in the UK) could 3D with an irvine 53?
Old 09-06-2005, 03:15 PM
peejay

ORIGINAL: jdmorris

I take it that an irvine 53 will be underpowered for this model. I may be able to get hold of a cheap asp 90 fs, would this do?

What pattern/3D hybrid model (available in the UK) could 3D with an irvine 53?
I would have thought the irvine 53 would be fine. The model's designed for 46-53 2 strokes, and the irvine 53 has the same weight / size as a 40.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
CTB

Sadly that's a bit like saying that Funtana 90 would work well with an ASP 90 or a U Can Do 60 with an Irvine 61......

The Rush will fly with the Irvine 53. However it certainly won't accelerate out of prop hangs with the gusto that you might want.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:06 PM
jdmorris

what's the difference between the rush and the twister? and whats the katana 40 like?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:00 PM
kinverflyer

Twister - http://media.putfile.com/Twister-1

Katana 40 - http://media.putfile.com/Katana-40-July-05

Rush - http://www.cheetahrc.com/vids.html

Have a look at these videos they should give you a pretty good idea thier abilities
Old 09-06-2005, 05:24 PM
CTB

Hi,

The Twister link doesn't work.....
Old 09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
MIXMASTER

Whats up with this thread,I thought it was for the Cyclone-not the Rush,Adrenaline,ect.... I would like to hear about the Cyclones 3-D capability. How does it elevator,harrier,hover,TR,KE slides,KE Harriers ect??? Is the Cyclone better for 3-D than the Adrenaline?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:44 PM
MIXMASTER

Woops, thought I clicked on Cyclone thread, got this one instead. Has anyone experienced the Cyclone? Seems like it would be even better than the Rush,larger=slower reaction times,lighter wing loads.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 AM
krammer

Hi All,

I have just purchased a Mint second hand RUSH with a OS70s engine,
The plane came with no servos attached or a manual,
Can some help me with the setup for the HI/LO Rate throws for the elevator/rudder/alirons as per manual instructions or a better known rate,
Your help is much appreciated
Thank You

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.