Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is the Ducted Fan Dead?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is the Ducted Fan Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:09 AM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ducted Fan.

ORIGINAL: BR289

I too am wondering where all these Ducted fan jets are, if everyone is going to turbine power. I rarely see any of the old Byron jets for sale........
I was lucky to pick up mine for only $400.00 with everything included! One of the servos I wont use ( fuel mixture-an old Hobbico servo ), but even the starter wand was included.
I know there were alot of those Byron jets sold, but unless people have them stashed in their closets, and garages.......they dont seem plentiful!
Well its nice too know I am not the only one. Sounds like a nice deal on your Byron BR but there have been allot of newer jets made since the Byrons and you still cant find them either.

Brian, I have a couple of Electric Ducted Fans that cost more than my JHH Fury did loaded! But yes you can build some EDF's that perform but your going to pay for it.
Viper
Old 05-29-2005, 10:26 AM
HannaDav

Default RE: Is the Ducted Fan Dead?

Hey Guys!

I'm looking for DF plane to buy, I have an old pattern plane and my love is jets. The cost for a turbin is high and I was told that DF are lower in price..
Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Hmmm I have been in Jets from The 80S I learned to fly on a Byron F-16,we dreamed of small turbines for are Byro blasters. Ive owned over 20 Turbine Jets, I just got a BVM Mavrick DF Flew it yesterday and had allot of fun it super fast and lands great,everone was coming over and checking it out ! I didnt see many people checking out or owwing or awing @ the Turbines at the Field ..DF are Back in style they make a statement when you show up with one that you are the Obie One Of the Jet Flyers
Old 05-29-2005, 02:45 PM
viper21

Jetset, I have been looking for an ARF used 91 ducted fan and I have had no luck so someone must be flying all the Ducted fans?
Where do you fly at EL Toro I am going to bring out my new World Models 120 size P51 in a couple of weeks. And if anyone has a ducted fan aircraft for sale without an engine and fan I just need the plane and retracts and hangar rash minor damage and or a repaint is okay.
I hope he ducted fan isnt dead I am still trying to build my JHH FJ-3 Fury
Viper
Old 05-29-2005, 06:59 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Viper, get yourself one of those Hawks from ebay, for like $350 ARF. All you will need to do is some slight modifications to accomodate standard retracts, and I guess some mods to fit a Dynamax/OS .91. I called TGA and other manufacturers and none had any DF models, except for Yellow with their F-16 and Starfire.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:10 PM
viper21

Falcon, I am just looking for a used 91 size ducted fan and its okay if it comes without the engine and fan infact I would prefer it not too as I have a NIB OS 91 to put in the plane? If the Ducted Fan is dying out why is it there so hard to come by?
Viper
PS: Falcon I will checkout Ebay
Old 05-29-2005, 08:34 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a guy in Ca that makes beautiful DF scale models, but I don't have his website here,I can post on Tuesday.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 PM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Ill be @ Eltoro Wendsday burning some wildcat
Old 05-30-2005, 12:33 AM
col_tomb

Congrat Jetset99 with your new DF Jet. You are going to win a Low Income Jets Award for sure....
Old 09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
tampasis

THE A7 DUCTED FAN RC PLANE IS GREAT, FAST AND GLIDES SMOOTH
MAKE SURE YOU BEND UP THE ELEVATOR LEFT AND RIGHT UP ABOUT 2 DEGREES.
HAND LANCH AND HAVE FUN THIS IS A 2 CHANNEL RC BUT IT REALLY FLIES WELL THE ONLY DRAW BACK IS ABOUT 4 MIN. FLYING TIME THEY NEED TO PUT IN LiT BATTERIES TO GET AT LEAST 10 MIN ON A FLIGHT. WHEN YOU FLY IT MAKE SURE YOU ARE AT LEAST 50 FT UP BEFORE TURNING LEFT OR RIGHT ALTITUDE IS CONTROLLED BY ENGINE SPEED SAME AS A REAL PLANE. JET FLIGHT ON THE CHEAP ABOUT $89.00 FROM WWW.RCDISCOUNTS.COM
AND THEY ARE IN STOCK ALSO BUY AN EXTRA BATTERY FOR NOW IT ONLY TAKES ABOUT 10 MIN TO RECHARGE ON A CAR CIG LIGHTER
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

The boys in Ohio are still flying ducted fans and turbines
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16946.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	328168  
Old 09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

That's a gorgeous Bandit T-33jetman! I saw it flying at Superman couple years ago and just loved every minute of it!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:47 PM
viper21

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

There is a guy in Ca that makes beautiful DF scale models, but I don't have his website here,I can post on Tuesday.
Falcon, did you ever get the email or website of the person that builds DF Jets here in Ca? If so could you please let me know?
Thanks Viper

I am still looking for a used 91 size ducted fan I dont need the engine as I have a new 91VF. Retracts would be a great plus. Please let me know if you guys have a Jet not being used and want to sell?
Thank You Viper
Old 12-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Electropiep
My Feedback: (51)

I have just bought a Byron F-16 with an OS 91 DF today. I am in business
Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
mafrasca

For cheap jet kits see this link

http://www.injetdesigns.com

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
iflyg450

I Hope it doesn't die I am just getting started

How is this for a low buget plane total price spent 135.00 worth of used stuff cobbeled together it all works!

Flew my first DF plane this past Sunday. Its a Midwest JESTER it may not be pretty or sleek but the K&B 45 RIRE and Turbax gets it past 120mph. It was all used gear the just works perfectly. Very short take off roll. It floats like a sailplane, loops, rolls, AND CLIMBS like a jet should. IT's LOUAD AND I LOVE IT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1021872  
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Josh_K

I love DF too, and I hope it is here for a long time to come. Right now I have 7 df airframes with os and k&b power.

But one thing that is gonna change the scope of the field is the increasing costs of new DF engines. Tower just raised the price of a OS 91 10% to $330.00. And even more inpactfull is the cost of older used turbines is coming down. To make my point, I just purchased a wren 54 mk1 auto start complete with low time rebuild for $650.00

Now this isnt a every day thing that one finds at this point, but for less that two df engines one would be crazy to pass up such a deal and I think deals like this are going to be seen more and more on older turbines are sold off for newer better ones.

And to agree with all that have said it before me. Jet events are a terrible place to judge if ICDF is weak or strong. I for one hate jet events and choose to fly a my local club field.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are FAR more ducted fans flying these days than turbines.....but very few have the fragile mechanical devices in them that convert alcohol and nitromethane to noise and thrust. Even BVM is on the bandwagon.

The ducted fan is bigger than ever and it is electrifying...