Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

I got there maine mag today and its in there so I would call.

Bob t
Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Darrell B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,
Can you give me their product number out of their magazine, so that I can have it when I call?

thanks,
Darrell
Old 10-01-2005, 12:58 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Guys
I've been lurking too, and finishing up another project before starting this one. I've got pretty much everything but the pilot and the paint, and I'm not sure about what hubs I'll use for my mains. I just got the new Air Classics, and they have a great spread on a FG1D Corsair. Definitely the scheme I'm going to finish mine in. Still haven't figured the muffler yet for my G62. Should be starting to post progress here in a few weeks. Keep up all the good work everyone!
Sam
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 AM
rt3232

Good morning

The number I have is TH2675 hope this helps

Bob T

Old 10-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Darrell B.

Thanks Bob,

When I type that number in it comes up to the $10 gift coupon, but it still lists the plane as Discontinued. This is really frustrating. I hope that Top Flite is taking notes and will give us all a break again.

Darrell
Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 AM
rt3232

Darrel

The only outher way that I kniw to possibly locate is,
Go to top flite' web page , Then it will ask you for your zip code, then it will list all of the local hobby shops that might have.

Bob T
Old 10-01-2005, 10:29 AM
rt3232

Well after reading what every said about getting a mold for gear doors. I will post pic's at the end of the discription

HEAR IS WHAT I DID

Extra rib's and framing to make the square wheel well, then sheeted and did the layout, Note as there is no refferance for doors on the plans except the strut. I used the robart assy and wheel to give me the size,and location. Then I wanted a mold of the wing surface with the lay out. I put the smallest silk pin heads in each corner of all lines, covered with monocote, made a plaster mold I got vary small tix from the pin heads redrew lines with a scribe point and cleaned them with a #2 pencel vary fine point. cut out lower serface to the lines, monted gear assy..

Bob T

pic's to follow
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85506.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	332119  
Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 AM
rt3232

Will try to do 2 I have a vary solw ISP

Name:	Bz78099.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	332120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89443.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	332121  
Old 10-01-2005, 11:12 AM
rt3232

next two
Old 10-01-2005, 11:20 AM
rt3232

willtry again

Name:	Vt57913.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	332129  
Old 10-01-2005, 11:26 AM
rt3232

last one for now

Name:	Db85817.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	332130  
Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 PM
fyredog

Nice
Old 10-01-2005, 07:44 PM
rt3232

When I built my first T/F G/S Corsair I did not pay much attentionto whare the axel was in relation to the leading edge, but I did not have strut or wheel well doors, the stock build puts the front end of the retract frame and the axel nut above the lower surface. On theis build I had to shave the beams allmost 3/16 to get everything inside the inside of the sheeting.

Now my question the axel is 35/64 behind the leading edge. Am I going to have nose over problems with this set up??

Bob T
Old 10-01-2005, 08:15 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now my question the axel is 35/64 behind the leading edge. Am I going to have nose over problems with this set up??

Bob T
That looks perfect to me. Keep this in mind when installing gear. The further forward the gear axle is located in relation to the CG the less chance you have of nosing over, the down side is that it will have more of a tendency to ground loop. Ever seen a warbird landing and as it starts to slow the pilot runs out of rudder as the plane swings around? That is a symptom of poor axle location. When the axle is closer to the CG you will have a tendency to nose over but your ground handling and directional control will be much better. The trick is to find the sweet spot, your gear look very close to the scale location, I think it will do great.

Dion

Old 10-01-2005, 09:30 PM
rt3232

Dion

Thanks for the comment and suport

Bob T
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
rt3232

Well guys I ran into a probem tonite, if your planning to install gear doors, make sure the dummy ribs usrd for the wheel well box are parallel to the swing axcess of the strut both for/aft and up/dn. I put one in an 1/8 off and it made it so the open/closing system would not fit [>:] its nice to be working with wood..

Bob T

Old 10-07-2005, 08:50 PM
rt3232

I know by the number of hits this thread gets ther are builders out there, so how about some comments on your builds as I feel like a fish out of water hear.

Bosssman whare are you?

Bob T
Old 10-08-2005, 09:35 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Bob, I know exactly what you're talking about from my 109 thread, so I'll start to throw some pics and stuff in from mine here.

I drilled out all the control surface cores with Forstner bits and it saved a ton of weight I think. I'm wondering how much as I don't have a postal scale, but I think a good amount as the cores are really thick and hard balsa. Didn't notice any reduction in strength save breaking the control surface to find out.

I'm mounting my engine now (G62) and found I need exactly 2" hardwood spacers for the engine box on the firewall. Also the centering seems to be 1/4" to the left to counteract the right thrust and centering the thrust line at the prop right? This is the way I centered my marking holes and it seems right to the plans. Seems like 10-32 3" socket heads will work for mounting the mount plate to it. I sure do like a nice set of standoffs at two inches but at nearly 50 bucks, the free option and a place to mount the throttle bellcrank and nose weight seemed like a better way.

After this I can sand and sand and sand and glass away. Shhhhh, was that a mini mouse sander I heard in the closet
Old 10-08-2005, 11:23 AM
rt3232

Wulf190
If you have looked at the pic's posted youve seen what I have done ecept I used a 1" hole saw saved all the plugs then took a piece of 1/2x2x62 this goes fromclose to center of engine to center of elevator, marked the c/g piont from plans, put all plugs one the end and it took right a 36 oz to counter balance. On my first build I bult right off the plan and instruction book except for some try stock at fire wall, when it was finished I har to add 34oz in the nose, So with luck I will not have to add any dead weight just to balance. As for the engine position follow the plan , my first one came right out on center ,the prop washer centered beautfully on the dummy engine. I am going the light way again with ultra coat only glassing critical pionts.

Are you putting on wheel well doors, if so hou did you dothem //

Bob T
Old 10-08-2005, 01:55 PM
wulf190

Bob, I scrapped the epoxied blocks and went with four 7/8" dowels cut at 2" in length and drilled on the press for the bolts to pass through to mount the motor. Looks good now. Very strong arrangement I think for the engine mount. I think it's right on for alignment. Later today, I'll epoxy in the firewall and brace it in with some tri stock and glass cloth which should give it plenty of strength with a dowel or two drilled into the glue joint on each side. I'll get some pics of the arrangement later tonight after it's dry. I used 10-24 stainless phillips head screws to mount to the firewall as Ace doesn't have the socket heads in 3" lengths. I'll have to order some from RTL when I get another round of socket head servo screws.

Yes, I'm doing doors. I've yet to cut them (I'm using thin aluminum) from the templates I've got for them. I'll do these after I've glassed. I'll have to make the tailwheel doors out of fiberglass and cut them to fit as well and then come up with a simple closing mechanism which I've not decided on yet, but it will be spring loaded on both mains and tail.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:03 PM
rt3232

Sounds like you have things under coltrol, but why the al-um-nim doors? After looking at several mechanical systems to operate gear doors I chose the one by Dion out of his royal 60 thread with a coupla of minar mods, I hope to be posting pic's late next week if all goes well, I am not doing the tail wheel door my head band is all ready to tight may be win I retire full time.

Bob T

PS Is your wing done sheeted etc:?? can't wait to see some pic's
Old 10-08-2005, 08:46 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Hi Bob, Wulf, Luke (Dion), et al.....

As life goes along, we all experience being at the top of the mountain as well as deep in the valley. Since my retirement from the Air Force in 1992, I chose home medical transcription as my way to support my family and a chance to enjoy my hobbies. During my time in the military, I moved around a lot and never got to FULLY enjoy my RC hobby as well as my old car restoration hobby. The at-home medical transcription field offered me the opportunity to enjoy other pursuits while financially providing for my family. In 1995, I contracted for a very lucrative radiology (x-rays) account here in Southern California, and for the past 10 years, that (along with my wife's income) has been the way to "put the bacon on the table". About 3-4 weeks ago, I was notified on a Friday that as of the following Monday, my "services would no longer be required". Evidently, a group of Indian (India not American Indian) doctors had bought out the hospital and was sending the transcription overseas to a vendor in India. Needless to say, it hit me WAY below the belt, both financially and emotionally. I immediately went to "job search" mode and after several aborted attempts at radiology accounts that didn't pay enough, I seem to have acquired a fairly stable account through a place in Ohio that has VERY high standards in their product requiring a 98 percent accuracy rate on the transcribed reports. Through it all, I managed to trudge out to my model shack late at night and work on the Corsair along with several other projects. In short - I HAVE been making progress and HAVE been lurking on RCU, especially this thread - I just never responded as I wasn't in the frame of mind to offer anything positive. Sorry for the rant, but the way I was treated after 10 years leaves me pretty dry in the mouth. The Air Force, on the other hand, gave me an OUTSTANDING send off at the end of my 22 years. Apples and oranges for sure, but it AGAIN solidifies in my mind what a great country we live in - its just a shame that our laws allow foreign "speculators" to just come in and buy out places and lay-off many workers in the process. By the way, if you are from India reading this, I am not slamming India - I just find it pretty unprofessional in the way this whole thing was handled. Enough of the soap box....

I hope to post some pics on my progress. Most of the fuselage is finished. I HATE sheeting fuses/wings that have very obvious glue joints, so I take a little bit of extra time to create straight edges on my sheeting before gluing. This provides a near gapless appearance when all the various sheeted pieces are glued to the fuse infrastructure. I completely sand my sheeting FLAT prior to gluing onto the frame. I finally got my Robart 148 retracts from Tower, so I will be jumping into the wing next. I have followed with GREAT interest the scale door dialog. I remember viewing Luke's (Dion) video of the hanging Corsair and the actuation of the retracts with scale doors. I believe it was his Royal 1/8 scale Corsair - but it sure looked like the REAL thing hanging from the ceiling!! Maybe Luke could re-post the link for that video - it has inspired me to tackle the project!! Also, kudos to Bob for making the molds for the doors!!! Any chance you would have the time/resources to make a few batches for some of us out here Bob? Would be MORE than willing to compensate you for them. It would save me tons of time going through the SAME process to mold some doors.....

At any rate, that is where I am at. Again, sorry for the lengthy rant at the beginning, but when your basic security (ie job) is threatened, it kinda takes away the pleasure/fun for anything else. Hopefully, I will begin that all-to-familiar climb back to the top of the mountain to once again enjoy life to its fullest....

randy
Old 10-08-2005, 09:27 PM
rt3232

Randy sorry to hear about the job, but I know that having spent 22years in the military youl learned how to keep moveing ahead, good luck.

I saved all of the pic's from Dion's thred on g/doors but my computer skills would not let me save particular para's. As you know I sheeted the wing bachwards from what T/F suggest, as I am going along I have made sketches and some dim's, I don't have a scanner, so I could snail mail copy's I will be posting some more pic's late next week if all goes well. I finaly got the w/w boxes built with the sides parrall to the swing arc of the strut, I don't know how Dion built his mockup, but I think it would have saved some time, anyway I used the cutout wood doors to proff my hinge line so the doors open with out a large gap. dou to the curve. now if I get my doors off the molds with out dammage I would be glad to make another pair.

Bob T
Old 10-08-2005, 09:34 PM
rt3232

PS lukes thread is in this form "royal corsair 60 Project" in the last week it has deifted between pgs. 1 & 5..

BobT
Old 10-09-2005, 07:32 AM
wulf190

Bob, I'm using the thin aluminum as I bought the wing already framed and it already had the cutouts for the wheel well into the sheeting, making it tough to get a piece of fiberglass formed to the shape of the airfoil. I think that the thin aluminum is a little tougher too and think it'll hold up on the hinges a little better until they get ripped off on a bad landing.[&:]

Randy, I am both sorry to read about your work related issues and extremely interested in hearing about it as I am about halfway through Tom Friedman's "The World is Flat" where he talks at length, seriously at length about not only your EXACT profession and how this outsourcing the "grunt" work is affecting people and businesses now, but how it will dictate and manage other industries or professions in a manner to equalize the pool of resource talent with the economy of the respective job. The book is fantastic, and makes you think a lot about this. Is it all bad? Is it good? What's bad and beneficial about the process? Who benefits, who loses, what does it mean for our workers and the world?

I recall him bringing this up last night. It used to be that your mom or dad said, "Eat everything on your plate, there are people in India starving". Now the saying should be, "Make sure you're doing everything you can to become able to eat, because they are people in India starving for your job." There will be a great leveling (the world is flat) as a result of this phenomenon. However, it's his belief (and mine too) that through all of it, those countries that are leaders in techno and innovation will continue to be this way as the last product to be invented has not been made yet, and there will be a continual stream of jobs, and technological improvements to dictate a change or specialization to professions. Look at the graphic artists of the world. Used to be you drew sketches and pencil drawings to turn in to papers or magazines, now you do computer design, perhaps only an outline, and send the rest of the stuff outsourced to India to do everything from the small fill in work to the larger tasks of creation. Accountants, same way. The potential for these systems has been in place for a longer time. The ability of the system to function is a more recent development, depending on band width, computer development, infrastructure building, country's workforce, etc.

Even down to me building planes for other guys. Things are changing. 10 years ago, I couldn't have had a market for this type of work with the network of folks that I knew in the hobby. With the advent of computer sites, and increasing savvy on my part, and an energy to figure out all of the smaller issues to learn the computer, upload pictures, improve building talents, participate in online forums, etc. All of this takes time to shake out and provide opportunity of a different sort. Our secret lies in our ability to adapt to our surroundings at a pace that will be much faster than in recent times due to the lack of more than 3 billion workers (read China and India) and the technology to ship our ingenuity overseas. Good thing though, is that the competition should bring competitors all up to a higher level (while some individuals get eaten in the shuffle) rather than sinking everyone to the lowest. It's scary, but their is still opportunity for those who have invested themselves into learning and adapting to our new ways of living. Sorry for the book here, but The World is Flat is a great book and can provide some perspective to your situation a bit.

I used to be a fitness trainer in Chicago, working beyond what I even thought possible in terms of hours and earning potential. After much time dedicated to it, I hung it up, wishing for the simpler life of a teacher and sacrificing the money and time involved with the first so that I could fly more and live a better life. I worked one year as a teacher in an awful schoool district and now I'm a sub, working only a few days a week while I watch our education progress dwindle and laugh at the "shortage" of Science teachers and the direction that Science seems to be going in our nations schools. The direction is the scary part. I felt more secure with my self-employed fitness training job, as it catered to the secure wealthy customers, and didn't involve a bunch of nonsensical administrators or politicians going back more than 250 years to forget all of the scientific advances we've made during this era to teach in the classroom....sorry to the creationists.....It's just that training for a new profession, and securing experience has made me a more marketable worker in terms of all my abilities, including building models for other guys. Technology sure keeps the race moving fast. I'll try to keep in check the political views and keep the thread back to building my Corsair, just got me thinking about larger issues in a personal sort of way. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.