Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

AirCore 40 Trainer Instructions

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

AirCore 40 Trainer Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Snowspeeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AirCore 40 Trainer Instructions

I am looking for the instructions for this kit. I started building it awhile ago and now want to finish it, but I've lost the instuctions. On the AirCore website they have a pdf file for the Colt, but not the trainer. Does anyone know if there is a pdf file for the trainer? Or, is the assembly of the Colt similar to the trainer?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Default RE: AirCore 40 Trainer Instructions

I have a set. PM me your address. I have built and flown both. Built 3 of the trainers total. A couple for other people. I prefer the colt. Thought it was easier to fly also when I was learning.
I don't need the instructions any more so they are yours if you want them
Old 11-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Tesla1856

I have it available for download here:

http://www.vlsdynamics.com/rc/planes/us_aircore40.htm

and it's also in the Downloads section.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
twizzy

hey i just got a Aircore 40 about 2 weeks ago. I paid 50 bucks and I got the plane assembled along with the stock 40 super tigre engine..
(good one made in italy). With no experience i'm adding the electronics myself. So far I added 2 servos one on the throttle and the rudder.
 Think i'm doing a pretty good job for a first timer messn with pushrods.
I'll have some pics for you sometime this week!! Oh yeah...the reason I stopped by..lol..
I was thinking about adding a servo for the elavator in the tail. instead of the power cartridge any ideas???
And should I use one servo to control both ailerons??? I heard these planes dont work to well without the ailerons?
Thanks
Old 07-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Tesla1856

ORIGINAL: twizzy

I was thinking about adding a servo for the elavator in the tail. instead of the power cartridge any ideas???
And should I use one servo to control both ailerons??? I heard these planes dont work to well without the ailerons?
Thanks
I would NOT move it to the tail. It's tail-heavy enough as it is (and I even had a larger OS .46fx engine in mine). Plus, where it is in the back of the power cart., it is pretty much in the tail anyway.

No, just the one servo for the ailerons (as it's designed for) is fine. You might want to install it better like this:
[link=http://www.vlsdynamics.com/rc/planes/aircore_aileron_servo_mount.htm]Aileron Mod[/link]

If I ever fly mine again, I think I will add nylon fishing-line "guide wires" to the tail surfaces. Should help it fly much better. It flew ok, but in high winds or at high speed ... if the rudder and horizontal stab. weren't flexing it would do better ... those thin wooden dowels don't quite "cut-it". Can't do much else without increasing tail weight.

Also, check out this page
[link=http://www.vlsdynamics.com/rc/planes/aircore40_building.htm]Build Tips[/link]

Good Luck.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:55 PM
twizzy

thanx tesla.. im gonna go with the one servo for the aileron just need a second opinion...should i go with a metal gear servo...
I really need to put the elavator servo in the tail because the idiot who originally drilled the engine into the PC had it upside down which put 2 servo slots on the wrong side. So im gonna get a little micro one, should I make my aileron setup exactly like the one in the link? thanks this is really helping me out..
my throttle has a 645MG hi-tec with a ball bearing, and my rudder servo is from a ofna buggy, both actually came out the ofna buggy!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Tesla1856

Have you downloaded the manual?

Did you look at the close-up pics on my website? (click to zoom-in)

There shouldn't even be a question about the aileron servo. All .40-.46 sized planes only use one. Use whatever standard sized servo you have. Doesn't have to be metal geared, but Ball-Bearing (like a Futaba 3004) would be nice. I have used 3003's for .46 sized plane's ailerons with success, but they aren't as smooth/quick/powerful.

Right-side up on the Power Cart. is also not a question. The motor mount bracers go on the top and bottom, the landing gear block on the bottom. The throttle servo should be facing up, and be on the same side as the throttle. Control rod from nose wheel goes down other side to rudder servo (outside arm).

Then, 2 back slots for the rudder and elevator servos. Which is which is determined by how the control horns are attached to the surfaces.

Micro servo is not powerfull enough for the elevator. All servos should be standard size like 3003 or 3004 (BB). Please read manual. The only place a micro could go is the throttle, but I wouldn't trust it/ risk it.

Send a pic of your Power-Cart if you still think you can't build the plane back up the standard way.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:09 PM
twizzy

It's will be ready in a week and i will have pics uploaded tonite
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Tesla1856

Cool ... I'll be watching out for them.

And you were saying something about motor mounting being wrong previously. Well, you don't have to use that lame wood-screw method if it got screwed up. Just drill the holes through, and do this ... From my website (different plane ... same idea) :

"Mounted engine with 4-40 hardware (1-1/4" allen socket head cap screws, No.4 flat washers, and nylon insert aircraft type lock nuts)." Like I said ... just read the manual and then my website (carefully) ... your plane will turn out nice.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
twizzy

ok..here it is..since the last time we spoke i went out and got a flight pack a 12v starter..uh??? 2 servos LOSI MSX DIGITAL LOSBOS18...
In the pictures you will see how the engine is sitting on the balsa incorrectly. I managed to keep it that way and work around it. As you can see the 2 servos i took out my OFNA buggy. The Hi-Tec 645MG is connected to the thottle and the OFNA SX-0001 is controlling my rudder. Then I added the elavator servo (pictured) in the tail about about 15cm away from the endpoint, which is the LOSI..and yes I did take in consideration about the plane already being tail heavy. And I installed in the aileron servo. As you can see I went vertical although the manuals shows horizontal..and i have a little springy thing going on..which i thought was creative and cool. BTW all servos are in there neutral positions and seem to be working absolutely perfect for a first-timer..I've been testing it with my 2ch ofna reciever and radio..The engine starts right up with no problem, now all I need is a 4 ch radio and rec. In the aileron photo you can see my Champ RTF sleeping!!lol[img]%20%20%20%20[/img]
Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Tesla1856

You will like that new field equipment. They will make the plane much easier to start. A glow-plug starter, a battery operated Prop. Starter, and a fuel pump are what I would concider as the basics.

No, I don't think that is going to work for several reasons.

1. The nose wheel and the rudder have to be controlled by the same servo.

2. I don't think it's going to balance with the elevator servo that far back.

Best thing for you to do ... return it to factory setup. You will be much happier with it in the long run and more importantly, the plane may actually fly .

How?

1. Remove the Power cartridge and remove all the parts from it.

Either ...

2a . Turn it over. Remove the nose gear block and install it on the other side. Reinstall everything as per manual.

2b. Or, cut that single servo hole (in the P.C.) out to make it a double wide like the other. Epoxy a small piece of plywood over the unneeded side to re-strengthen that part of the P.C. Basically, you are returning the P.C. back to its intended config. Reinstall everything as per manual.

There are some other things you can do, but until you complete the above steps, there is no use even getting into those.

Didn't see any close-ups of the engine mount (or what you don't like about it). The P.C. must be PLYWOOD ... not balsa by-the-way. After you do the above, correct the P.C. if there is anything wrong with it and reinstall the engine as per. the manual or with hole-though bolts. There is only one way to do it so that the P.C. is still sturdy, the engine is mounted securely, and the crankshaft and prop end up in the right place in relation to the fuselage.

I've never seen an aileron servo installed 90 degrees off like that. I guess as long as the servo shaft is exactly in the middle of the wing (and 2 aileron control rods) it might work. The other way, one or both sides end up screwed into wood. There shouldn't be any "spingy" action in those linkages. That is very wrong! They should be fixed (as in no "play"). Additionally, rods should not be curved or bent. It looks too tall (suprised it doesn't rub inside).

If you would read some airplane construction manuals (or my website) you will see better examples of how to do things. We build them this way for a reason. Barely working doesn't work with airplanes. Trucks just stop and you go over and get it. Airplanes crash when something fails ... sometimes severly hurting or killing you or others ... sometimes heavily damaging property (houses, cars, etc.) ... almost always destroying the plane, engine, servos, electronics, etc.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM
twizzy

so Tesla what do you think?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 PM
twizzy

sorry i post that before i seen your reply mike!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 PM
twizzy

im gonna take your advice...be back soon! thanx again
Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Tesla1856

ORIGINAL: twizzy

im gonna take your advice...be back soon! thanx again
Sounds good. I edited last long post with more details at the end.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Tesla1856

Edited it again.

Summary: Those aileron linkages are very wrong. Sorry, but at least you caught it before it got in the air.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Tesla1856
Micro servo is not powerfull enough for the elevator. All servos should be standard size like 3003 or 3004 (BB).
I agree on that one. You'll strip a micro servo on the elevator right QUICK.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Tesla1856

Screw holes for servos might be too stripped out to have and "bite" any more.

What I would probably do ...

On old side (will become bottom), use epoxy or CA glue to glue toothpicks into holes. Let dry.
Clip off extra and sand down. Check other side as well. Both side should be smooth with no holes by now.
Be sure you have P.C. turned right side up.
Install servo and mark holes with thin tipped Sharpie.
Drill tiny 1/16" hole (should be through solid wood/glue now) as hole starter. Keeps wood from splitting but leaves enough for good screw grip.
Reinstall servo, and screw in once and make threads.
If you ever remove servo, try to "find the old threads" when re-installing screw.
If they get loose (or lose grip/bite), you can remove screw and servo, apply a drop of CA to re-coat wood's threads, let dry, reinstall screw.

For the motor mount, I don't think I would do this just to be able to use the old self-threading screws. I think I would just move to a "hole-through" mount with screws and bolts (as long as the P.C. will still slide in with something extending from the bottom) As I recall, it will.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 AM
twizzy

i know its early in the morning....sorry for waking you guys....Before I disassembled everything like I was told too..
I said let me just take it out one time, really whats the worst that can happen....after all everyone talks about how durable
the Aircore is. Well everything went like expected....that thing was soaring over the baseball field..
I think I'm gonna leave it alone and just buy a kit and build myself...btw the plane is tail-heavy but with the servo in the tail, it didnt
seem to be a problem..Thanks Again,.....u guys been great.. i'll post a video on youtube in a few days
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
MrGreenSpeed

I put together an aircore 40 from a kit that was given to Me.

I used a woodpecker and poly glue through out the construction.

I increased cord of the tail feather control surfaces by 3 flutes, with the use of some scrap pieces of 4mill coro.; I just wood peckered the edges, stick them on with bamboo skewers & poly glued and used packing tape over the glue joints.

I ended up leaving out a pound of unnecessary stuff as the kit came with no instructions, so I used Spad building techniques to build it.

I powered it with Mag 40 LXa

I built the wing with 3" of dihedral and used dual aileron servos.

It was a Joy to fly and land it also would do some good stunts, the all up weight, fuel tank empty was 4.5 lb.

3yrs ago:
I sold it to a friend at work; ready to fly with a flash5X for $75.00 and took it up for Him, and handed Him the radio.
He was a natural and on the 5th flight He was taking off and landing solo.

That weekend it was windy so I showed Him how to use the rudder and coordinate the ailerons to take off into a cross wind and side slip, to land, that's when We decided to add 3 more flutes to the ailerons as at full deflection they were barely addiquit for 10 to 15 mph cross wind landings.

I just wood peckered and poly glued the wider 4mil onto the bottom of the existing ailerons.
It wasn't very pretty but worked very well.

This spring He misjudged a landing and drove it through a bob wire fence [X(] destroyed the wing.

All in all a great coro plane.
Jeff
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Spadinator

I still have an Aircore 40 in the box on my shelf.......maybe I should build it.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: MrGreenSpeed

All in all a great coro plane.
Jeff
Yes indeed. This thread has been wonderfully nostalgic for me. When I first learned to fly, I built a balsa plane. The first hard landing, not even close to a crash, the tail broke off. I decided the punishment did not fit the crime and built my Aircore. It was a slow, lumbering, clumsy thing, perfect for a trainer. One time on training day, it got shot down. The guy who did it came over with his wallet out to apologize. I said forget it, there was no damage at all. I got some gentle ribbing at the field, but most guys were more curious than hostile. They loved it when the landing gear folded up. "Look, retracts!" I did love that plane, but eventually I was ready for a DPS. Now I have two of them, and they just fly and fly. The Aircore wasn't perfect, but it was the original inspiration for SPAD.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:03 PM
MrGreenSpeed

ORIGINAL: Spadinator

I still have an Aircore 40 in the box on my shelf.......maybe I should build it.
Would You consider selling it ?

Jeff
Old 10-27-2010, 09:41 AM
Spadinator

Sorry I can't.....it was given to me by a good friend who is no longer flying planes.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM
MrGreenSpeed

ORIGINAL: Spadinator

Sorry I can't.....it was given to me by a good friend who is no longer flying planes.
No problem.
Do You think He would mind if You gave it to Me???...........LOL!
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.