Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Seniorita electric conversion questions newbie....

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Sig Kadet Seniorita electric conversion questions newbie....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:38 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet Seniorita electric conversion questions newbie....

I am rebuilding a kadet seniorita which is a .25 size plane and i have not flown it yet. It went dead the first time I went to fly it. Long story short, I am rebuilding it and was thinking of electrifying it and have NO idea of what to do. I have all nitro planes but want this one electric. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Sig Kadet Seniorita electric conversion questions newbie....

No problem!

That plane will need around 250 Watts to fly well. I'm assuming it weighs about 3lbs wet, right?

A nice combo for a floater like that is the AXi 2814/12 with a 10x4.7 APC thin electric prop on a 3S LiPoly or 10-cell NiMH.

The el-cheapo way out battery-wise is a 10-cell pack of CBP2000 cells or Sanyo HR4/5FAUP cells.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:04 PM
crashland 73

can all this be bought at tower? what type of esc will i need? will my regular jr receiver work?
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM
crashland 73

also i need this all broken down to the level of an idiot, namely me. I have absolutly no experiance in electric. Nitro's only.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:19 PM
ANeat
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: crashland 73

also i need this all broken down to the level of an idiot, namely me. I have absolutly no experiance in electric. Nitro's only.

Here you go; you dont need everything here but this is a good general idea. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/g2e-sigkadetsnrita.htm

Adam
Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 PM
crashland 73

WOW! that is expensive. I think i will just put a cheap 15 or my standby .30 4stroke. I know fuel is high but I wont fly it enough to make up that kind of difference. I will get me a smaller electric like the lazy bee and do it to that with smaller stuff maybee it will be cheaper, maybee.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 PM
ANeat
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it is a bit of sticker shock. Its like looking at all the stuff required to fly glow. Fuel, flight box with all the goodies in it etc etc. Here is a system at the other end of the price range. The only other stuff needed would be the charger and batteries. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBRN4&P=0

Adam
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM
crashland 73

I guess it wouldnt be too bad if I was to start out in electric. I keep forgeting about all the field stuff you have to have to get a glow going. You can have a chicken stick and glow ignitor and fuel stuff and that in itself isnt too high but I am lazy, I like the electric starter, fuel pump and stuff like that LOL!!. I will someday go ahead and bite the bullet and get into some electrics. I wouldnt mind to have an electric just for a good standby for if I ever couldnt afford fuel or something.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 PM
pcsketch

I don't know what conversion your trying to do, but I bet it is brushless and lipoly and EXPENSIVE. The small lipoly/brushless are far less expenive.

What you will find is most (unless you got money pockets) conversions in the glow size is to a brushed motor and nickelmetalhydirde battery. An Astro 15 geared cost about $125 or 700 geared brush cheapo is about $80, two 6 cell car packs about $40 and a 4-7 cell peak detect is about $60. So about $200 will get your airplane in the air fine. Buy another 4 6 cell packs (might be able use 10 cell home made packs) and go fly. Flight time is a honest 8 minutes with a good minute reserve - that is about twice around the pea patch in a minute to land. (oops to clear it up: charge the 6 cell packs and hook two in series to make a 12 cell pack for flying)

Used this set up on a .40 Taube, Easyfly .40, and Kadet Seriorta. All flew fine, and the Kadet flew the best - flew on rails, off the ground in 30 foot, and putted around (at most) 40% power.

It will be awhile before the cost drops enough to make lipoly stuff to interest me in using them in glow size models.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 PM
pcsketch

I'm back: Better Yet............. buy a Superstar EP for $125 and get a fine flying airplane with a 600 can swinging a 9X6, speed control, and 7 cell 2100 pack. add a second battery for $25 and a peak detect charger for $60 and for a total of $210 go fly at the glow field. Get use to it and put stiffer wire landing gear and keep flying.

I bought one and liked it so much I purchased 2 more - great flyer and cheap flying!! Please don't fly in a park, they weight 48 ounces and are not ment to be flown with kids and dogs. 3 pounds flying at 40 mph -- would you explain that to the parents of a child you hit?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:21 AM
crashland 73

I like the looks of those Super Sportsters EP. I have one in 40 size with an OS 46 fx and love it. Although it will go out of sight in a blink. I like the way it flys and lands and stuff. I think that would be a good starter. I got my seniorita kit in the other day. I dont have to build a wing. It survived. What had happened was I traded it and a real old ugly stick kit built for some motorcycle stuff I had to a feller about 40 miles from me and a few days later took it to my instructors field to fly it, my instructer got it in the air and one time around it went to the ground in a heap. I never got to fly it. The feller I traded it from never mentioned the battery in the plane or the radio was both bad. Sorry sap sucker. Oh well. Lesson learned. I even charged them over night. But it was my first lesson and now I keep tabs on all the batteries and stuff like a hawk after a rabbit. I salvaged the wing and rudder assembly. I could have salvaged more but I kept it in my old 68 chevelle and the heat was tooooo much and it warped some stuff. Along with moisture. That is ok though I like to build. I have been doing this for only about 4 yrs and well, Hello everyone my name is Eugene and I have an RC addiction.