Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Dave,

I tried to take some shots in the dark but my camera is pretty junky and won't capture the effect very well. It really looks like it would in the real thing in the dark though. Kind of a "hold the map up to the light" kind of brightness. I directed the LED's at angles that don't show up real well on the pictures as they're kind of focused on the panels. You can see that the lights are on though, even with the lights in the room on. It gives off a glow from the inside a little looking straight down. Should look pretty good when the canopy is on. I put the LED's more into the tubes on the right side providing more of a spotlight effect. The one on the left is a little farther forward and gives off more indirect light.

Mike
Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 AM
D Bronk

Main thing is your happy how it turned out..Those LEDs. are pretty nifty, for such a tiny thing.I got some here, that are the size of a pin head, you should see the light they put out..going to use those, for gauge lights,and warning lamps on the dash panel...should be very, COOL MAN!!!!![8D]
Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 PM
wulf190

Worked on laying down the glass for the tailwheel and gear doors today. Does anyone have a template for the tailwheel door outline? I can try blowing up my line drawing, but I don't have it handy, and it would be tough to get it to the right size on my junky copy machine.

Anyone have this in an email compatible file I can print out? Sure would make cutting out the tail doors easier. They seem to have a pretty unique shape to them. I think I'm going either direct connection or the compression spring loaded wood plate connected to the doors. Looks like Dion's got the connection right though.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 11:52 AM
wulf190

Not going to get too detailed on the doors as the tailwheel hook seems like a little too much work, so I just cut the doors a little longer than was necessary rather than run them all the way back. Got a nice curve to match well with the fuse on the doors, using 4 layers of heavy cloth and Smith systems finishing epoxy, then shaping with a coat of Evercoat. I left the front open for now.

I wanted to have access to the tail wheel mount screws without the doors interfering with my access in any way, so I'll mount a thin piece of plastic over the hole to cover it. Should fair in pretty well and get everything closed up on the bottom.

Now to hinge the doors and put the tailwheel in. I got this really nice retractable tailwheel on ebay for a great price and mount dimensions are same as the 160WC. It has a beefier air cylinder on it and is a bit heavier duty than the Robart one. Problem is the cylinder is TOO LONG [][]. I would either have to make a hole for it in the forward former, or just get the 160 and have it drop in. I can't really get access to the former to make a clean interior cut[X(], so now it looks like the 160WC!! Great another hundred bucks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88160.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	345316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49603.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	345317  
Old 10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
wulf190

For the wing doors, I also decided to use glass, same method. I bought the plane framed up and the cutouts were already made for the gear and wheels, so I have to fill in to shape a little with Evercoat, but it doesn't seem like it will be a problem. I'm using Nelson hinges on all of the doors.

Name:	Jh15541.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	345318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93446.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	345319  
Old 10-28-2005, 05:17 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wulf190

Hi if you are going to put barn doors on I would sugest to make sure that you have a minimum of 1/4 clearence on the sides of the wheels, you can get by with less but it makes it harder to get the open/close system just right..

Bob T
Old 10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
wulf190

Bob, I'm thinking about using air cylinders for the doors as the Aerotech wheels I'm planning on using are 4 7/8" which will make things tight. It would also be a little easier to hook them up and get the travel right. I think I remember someone saying that 1/2" travel cylinders will do it. I'll have to see what Bimba or UPC, or Yellow has to offer. I just don't see myself not getting frustrated when setting up the travel and geometry on the spring setup, especially with larger wheels in there.

Mike
Old 10-28-2005, 05:55 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

Well I finaly got my l/gear doors working slick, even this old dog has learned a coupla of new tricks

I have to say thanks to Dion aka Luke and Dave Bronk, for shareing there ideas and systems with us, they made easy enough even for this frist timer to get it right.

When I started this door project I did not have a plan view of them or any dwg's So I laid out what looked right to me on the T/F plans, so the scale is off and the shapes are a little off but for a fon scale they will do for me.

hear is pic's of the right side..

have to try later server is down
Old 10-28-2005, 07:15 PM
rt3232

Hi Mike

We have another club about 10 miles away, they are big enough that they have a group that just flys war birds, and befor I did my frist build, I ask what was the biggest head ache to the man the ansure was gear doors, there advice was avoid them if you can and use the simpelist system you can.

After looking at several systems air and mechinacal thats why I chose Dion's But the maine thing is to do what you feel comfortable with..

Bob T

hear are my pic's

Name:	Ge96330.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	345428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83714.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	345429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54242.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	345430  
Old 10-28-2005, 07:51 PM
D Bronk

That, really, looks,, good Bob...Right on,MAN...IT looks like .I just might be chopping up my wing, a bit ,yet
Old 10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob T,

Nice job!!

Pete
Old 10-29-2005, 08:25 AM
wulf190

Bob, your setup looks great. Nice job on the doors. Not having another air thing to worry about is good and it's the one feature that pulls me to the mechanical linkage.

I got the tailwheel to work, fitting my little Black and Decker remote tool into the fuse with the grinder and then sander to it before I burnt up the spring in it[X(][X(] getting a clearance hole in the former in front of the air cylinder. But at least I was able to get the hole big enough on the inside to get a half round file on it before it broke. Now just the hookup.

Name:	Qo40853.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	345571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58859.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	345572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44796.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	345573  
Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM
rt3232

Mike

That set up looks great to me, I have not gotten to that stage as yet so I real don't no what I will do. Are you using plastic fittings in your air lines ??? how did you sequence the doors??, Right now I am trying to decide what I want to do about the under side of the wing at the tip to get it to be alittle more scale like as the out board rib is to deep to get the correct tapper, what ever I do I will try to post pic's, if I think it will help some one..

Bob T

PS About little tools its to bad we can't find a sorce for retired dental air tools seems to me some of it would be usable. Oh well
Old 10-29-2005, 12:02 PM
D Bronk

I think the inner cables/driver is the same as a speedometer cable/driver from a car, truck,or motorcycle not the new stuff though they`re sensor driven and read by wire
Old 10-29-2005, 12:16 PM
wulf190

Dave, Thanks! I'll see what I can do about the cable. It worked real well within the limits of it's use, the first time I ever needed to use the remote tool.

I'm not sure about the tail door actuation yet. If I do air cylinders on the wing, I'll get some for back there too and get a sequencing valve for the doors and gear. If I settle on mechanical, I'll do a spring loaded compression plate like Todd Burley's P40 build thread shows or a hard connect like Dave shows. I'll have to think about it while I do some other stuff and see what I settle on.

There is enough room for a mico servo or two to operate them, which could be slaved to the retract channel to operate the tail doors as well. Can't imagine the weight would be too much problem with the micro servo.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM
rt3232

Pete,Dave, Mike, or any one with frist hand knowlage..

I have a "Stans" cowl and the cowl flaps are particaly open, I finaly got enough done on the fuse to put the cowl up to it, THE PROBLEM it looks like I will not get enough cooling with the flaps as set. Can they be cut and opened?? If so how?? just saw and bend, how do you suport?? I will have the dummy radial up front with the same cutout as I had on my frist build, and I only needed cowl flaps from 3 o'clock to 9 to get the cooling needed.. also what is the correct angle for fully open flaps??

Bob T
Old 10-30-2005, 04:39 PM
onewing
My Feedback: (27)

We just test flew my recently completed TF GS Corsair yesterday. Everything went well. This airplane was designed to be easy to build and fly, and that is exactly our experience.

The maiden flight was conducted by our club president, who was a A26 Invader pilot during the Korea War. After the maiden flight, I flew the airplane with him coaching me on the side. I also had a perfect landing. After landing. I felt the time and money spent over the last 8 months is well worth it.

It has a 3W75iUS engine with a 24X10 propeller, Robart main gear and tail wheel, operational gear doors controlled by a electronic sequencer, Futaba and Hitec high torque metal gear servos, full cockpit and full-figure pilot. The flaps were constructed per instruction. Glassed and painted. Final weight is 30.5 pounds, including 2.5 pounds of weigt in the nose.

I want this airplane to be my weekend flier. So, I did not spend too much time painting or adding scale features.

As I use a powerful engine, I enforced the structure quite a bit. I also received a lot of information and help on RC Universe during the construction phase of this project, including an article by Chris Spangenberg published on the Spring 2001 issue of High Flight magazine.

It only has 3 flights so far. So, I really can not say too much about its flight characteristics. But based on our experience so far, I can at least say it is easier to land than my TF 60 sized P40. It behaves quite well in the air, no bad habits. I have been flying my TF P40 for two years. So, I am not totally new to heavy wing loading (or wing volume) warbirds.

I would be glad to share my experience with you here.

Name:	Ay75527.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	346118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97824.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	346119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13564.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	346120  
Old 10-30-2005, 04:54 PM
rt3232

vary nice

Bob T
Old 10-30-2005, 06:49 PM
wulf190

OneWing, Looks great. That's very reassuring to hear. Glad you're speaking up, Bob and I have been carrying the thread for a while

Bob, I'm using the Fiberglass Specialties cowl. There's a pic of it early in the thread. I just cut out the plywood radial ring from the plan template just as it was where only the area in front of the engine is cut out. The bottom of the rear cowl will have to have a vent hole as I see it. I think Sagacity shows how it looks on his plane somewhere on the site somewhere, or OneWing, if you've got a shot of the engine area with the cowl on, send it our way.

Looks like for around twenty bucks I can get two microservos for the tail doors that will weigh only about a half an ounce for the two of them which is acceptable, so I may save some engineering work and use those back there if they'll fit. It'll for sure save an hour or two getting the linkage hooked up, and I can adjust the travel on the doors through the TX to keep it from binding. I may have to get one of those electronic sequencers unless I can remember to open the doors before slamming the gear down.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Pete,Dave, Mike, or any one with frist hand knowlage..

I have a "Stans" cowl and the cowl flaps are particaly open, I finaly got enough done on the fuse to put the cowl up to it, THE PROBLEM it looks like I will not get enough cooling with the flaps as set. Can they be cut and opened?? If so how?? just saw and bend, how do you suport?? I will have the dummy radial up front with the same cutout as I had on my frist build, and I only needed cowl flaps from 3 o'clock to 9 to get the cooling needed.. also what is the correct angle for fully open flaps??

Bob T
Bob,

I used the ABS plactic cowl for my 60 size Corsair and was able to cut and open the flaps using a covering iron. I do not think you can do the same with the fiberglass. You will need to open up the bottom of the cowl to vent. [&o]

Pete
Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

wulf 190,with you tail wheel, you can use the same set up that has been talked about and shown on a few corsair threads ,If you look at the royal corsair 60 proget thread , page two you will see it,there is other pictures in the many thread but I just can't find them right know.I hope this helps.This is the way I'm doing my when I build my big corsair.Plus will be using many of the ideas from this and all of the corsair threads.I know this set up was used in some mustang building threads too.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Onewing,
Very nice looking bird glad to read it went well.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:11 PM
onewing

Guys, thanks for the kind words. Here are some more details:

Aileron servos: Futaba 9451 x 2
Flap servos: Hitec 645 MG x 2
Elevator servos: Futaba 3305 x 2
Rudder servo: Futaba 3305
Gear doors: Futaba 3004 x 2
Throttle: JR DS811
Retract valve servo: Expert SL451 mini

1 JR 2400 mah NiCd battery for receiver and servors
1 JR 1400 mah NiCd battery for electronic ignition
2 JR heavy duty charge switches
1 Futaba 127DF FX receiver

Jomar electronic gear and door sequencer

3W75iUS engine

True turn prop hub

Zinger 24x10 wood propeller

The gear doors are my own design. I just use two standard servos to keep it simple and reliable. Yes, it may be a little heavier than a mechanical system. But probably not too bad for a 25 to 30 lb airplane.

Name:	Db84789.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	346344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60635.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	346345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68215.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	346346  
Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 AM
wulf190

OneWing,

Great, thanks for the pics of the door area. This is just the kind of setup I was thinking about, and if you can do it with standard sized servos, then I'm going with the skinny micros to put in there. With 3 of them (2 for the main, for the tail, I'm only adding about an ounce. There's still no better way than adjusting travel through the computer TX.

Mike
Old 10-31-2005, 09:01 AM
onewing

Wulf190

A Jomar gear / door sequencer plus 3 mini / micro servo is really very light. It is quite easy to have this servo + bellcrank operated gear door system working consistently. There are two things I would like to remind you.

1. Make sure the mini/micro servo you use has adequate torque to hold the doors in flight.

2. I was not able to adjust the servo travel once the servos are connected to Jomar sequencer. So, both the retract valve servo and the gear doors servos are operated on full travel. I just mechanically adjusted the set up so they open / close doors properly. I think there are some electronics out there you can use to adjust the servo travels. But it beats my purpose of keeping it simple.

3. Like you said, if you can remember to open and close doors, then you don't need to mess with the sequencer, making your system even more reliable.

Onewing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.