Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

ORIGINAL: ctflyboy

test test
ctflyboy,
Looks good. I recommend the Corsairjock modification to the Rudder for strength and looks. Carbon fiber strips up both sides with 1/64 lite ply cut to give the right shape and look of the real Rudder.

Pete
Old 11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
rcamp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Tower's page for the "new" TF Corsair, the manual and addendum (tech update) are exactly the same as before. Admittedly, they might not have the new manual available yet, but if the manual's the same it's hard to see how it could be a new design. Also, I rather doubt they would go to the trouble to redesign a model they don't think sells all that well, they keep discontinuing it rather than keep it in production like the P47 and P51. Don't get me wrong, it would be great if they did some redesign, but I doubt they did it. Jury is still out.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:01 PM
COL J

Bob,

You are correct. The only thing that I caught that was different was the size of the main wheels. All we can hope for is that they have in fact changed some things. But even if they haven't, maybe they will keep the kit alive for awhile. Can't imagine why this has not been a popular kit. I guess there just aren't as many Corsair buffs out there as ther are P-51 and P-47 buffs. Although some may be scared off with the gull wing and flap construction.

Anyway to me, there just isn't anything in the air that looks and sounds like a Corsair. I tried like hell to make it to the air show in Indianapolis a couple of years ago when they featured 'A Gathering of Corsairs'. Don't know how many they wound up bringing in but it would have been like a kid in a candy store for me.

Regards
John

P. S. This is the web site where I found out about the Corsair Rally at the Indianapolis Airshow. [link]http://www.f4ucorsair.com[/link]
Old 11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John

I think after reading luke aka Dion, D Bronk and a few others if you are a true scale builder , hear are the things that I picked up on..

The incidence of the wing and horzontal, the sloping fuse at the nose the nose at the fire wall, the canopy style. rudder shape , and the wing tip shape.

some of which are easy mods to fix if you are inclined

Cheers bob t

PS The scale buffs can tell a lot more than I can..

Old 11-23-2005, 07:58 PM
Rocketman612

Here is the link to CorsairJock's Mod thread. Everything for the 60 size plane can be applied to the Giant Scale plane as well.

The rudder mods were discussed in post 10. I posted some photo's of mine on pg 2.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96..._1/key_/tm.htm

Pete
Old 11-23-2005, 08:11 PM
rt3232

Hi pete

Ive seen your vido and the pic's of your build I think I read that youu did sime of corsairjocks mods my question was your build a 1/8 or the 1/5

Happy Thanksgiving BobT
Old 11-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Rocketman612

BobT,
I built the 1/8. But the Build for both is the same. I would think all the scale details CorsairJock noted will work on the 1/5 Corsair.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,

Pete
Old 11-25-2005, 07:22 PM
rt3232

Hi pete and all

I have ask this question and no one has responded, what is the angle of the cowl doors when fully open???

I have dug thru what ref/books I have to no avail, so I tried measuring a coupla of the largest pic's I have ware the doors seam to be wide open, as close as I can get is just over 20 degrees ?? So in trying to get the amount of cooling I need for my G62 I used 20 deg's, I am using a dummy engine with cut outs and holes. I did the lower half of the fuse with Corsairjocks firewall mod to get better air flow here are my pic's what do you all think???

Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27499.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	360198  
Old 11-25-2005, 07:57 PM
rt3232

Here are therest of the pic's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75221.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	360221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89573.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	360222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47821.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	360223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81795.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	360224  
Old 11-26-2005, 10:14 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Bob, Looks great. Nice even airflow through the cowl will work good for you there. I know guys have used some carbon fiber cloth strips epoxied on to the base of the bend for the cowl flaps to help provide some rigidity to those and it's probably a pretty good idea to prevent cracking over time from vibration. You may have already done this. The effect is nice with the exhaust outlets where they are.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 AM
rt3232

Thanks for the complement,

The exhust outlet are wrong for a-1 bird, I think the -4 or -5 had the side out lets and mabe a -1D o well...I will plug these down to about 5/16 widh will still give me about 25% opening than the original G62 muffler, and that should quite it down abit it is just over 90db's at 9 now, so we will see..

Bob T
Old 11-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Rocketman612

Bob,

The Cowl looks great. Your drilling at the end of the cuts should help the fiberglass from cracking. Let us know how she holds up over time.

Pete
Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

hello corsair group.my son and i just started his tf-gs-corsair.we have the wing basiclly done and the horiz stab and fin.its going to take us awhile.i guess my first question is we probably should get the retracts set in before sheeting the wing or could we sheet some of the wing.
would frise aeilerons be practical or not.im going to use barn doors if not.i will not use double beveled.i could use aiel. differential if neccesary.plan on using us41 (brand new i have).will do all lightning and am planing on moving all servos in front of cg in bay right behind and below fuel tank.will use coverite on rudder and elevators if the original had them covered this way.i will have to get 3veiws i guess.planning on the bayou babe design on box.i would like to use mechanical retracts,does anyone know where i could get.i will make my own mechanical tailwheel design from a january 1995 model airplane news.this also shows operating gear doors for a b-25,and a p-51.ill see if i can borrow a scanner and put here.i have a used pc and dont have my software for the camera installed because im buying a new one next week,then ill post a pic or two.ill be asking more questions as we need a little help.thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:59 PM
nchrome

Moving the servos to where you want them may cause you some radio glitches[:@]. Ground test alot cause rull of thumb is that most of your radio gear should be at least a foot from your gas engine. The US41 is marginal for this bird but I plan on doing the same. Make the tail feathers as lite as possible with liteing holes and such. I plan on using B&D retracts on mine they will cost me under one bill. Reinforce the motor box with glass and some of the inner bay(fuel tank area) and also the outside for the fire wall.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:18 PM
buck1856

thanks for the info.what do you think about the frise aielerons vs barn door.there was a person here on rcu that stated he glued aluminum foil inside a box he made for his servos and has never so much had even a glitch,or it was his receiver,dont remember.i plan on lighting holes.im going to weigh all the wood sheeting and if necessary buy new.ill use 1/2 oz cloth and not sure whether zpoxy or standard resin or even water based polyurethane.i will paint it with water based latex as this is lighter than enamel.a guy did his in MAN and i beleive didnt seal it because gas doesnt hurt it.ill look up his article and post it.he did a rebuild after crash and lost weight.forgot,i also am doing an olympic 52cc 2 ring saw engine.i also have completed a 61cc,husky single ring.or i have a new never seen fuel 61 or 62 cc king production engine from sachs parts made in germany 2 ring.both husky and king weigh 5.25#.not done with olympic yet.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:28 PM
TAZ

how do you get the flaps to sit as they are with a f/g cowl????? I thought with f/g they would just sit back to the original position
Old 11-27-2005, 08:15 PM
rt3232

Hi Buck1862

Although this is bosssman's thread I wecome you , we need new blood, about the 41 for pwr, the orig bird wright ups both started with them but changed to 62's so I would say start with any one that will fit in the cowl and deliver the HP or close to the G62. this is my secound build of this bird and I lerned in the first build to keep the tail group light ie: lighting holes, you can place the servos as seen on the plan and not have to add weight to the nose. One outher thing use a c/g 1/2 foward of the one shown, I have never used the aeilerons you sugested but we have a club member that tryed them, he did not like them, never said why, If you are dead set on mech/retracts you could sheet parts of the wing both upper and lower surfaces but leave those areas open so that you can be sure the system works with out any flaws.

Taz
About the cowl your wright they due go back, as you can see I stop drilled each slit then made a block of wood (2) to fit the flap width, with a slot cut to the length of the flap, used a heat gun to heat enough to limit the wrinkles or crasing of the glass I my case I did three at a time (I also made a pair of blocks that I could clamp to the cowl and hold the 20 deg's) The I shaped a peace of soft steel wire to the curve of the cowl, and epoxyed it just in side the trailing edge of the flaps, Will thy to find the blocks and post a pic' if you like, I think they may be in the trash can, as I just had to clean the shop, it finaly got to me..hope the helps..

Bob T
Old 11-27-2005, 10:49 PM
buck1856

rt3232,thanks for the info.im looking into the mech retracts cost wise and also ive seen a a few(more than i would care for) not work always properly.as for the engine i thought people where just adding a g62 for weight to balance out instead of using lead.(horspower weight is better than lead weight.)i think ill just frame it all up and then start moving things around and see what happens with servos and engine.i am going to mod the wingtips and rudder.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
rt3232

Buck 1856

If you have not started yet have a look at post 84, 86. 100 Iused a hole saw and kept all of the plugs there weight was enough to eliminate the need for 20 oz in the nose outhers are doing similer see post 197, 222 I would sugest taking a look at fire wall mod as sugested by Corsairjock, it will if nothing more improve the air flow through the cowl, If all goes wright I may get to do a preliminary weight and balance befor covering, in a week or so, will post results and pic's

Cheers BobT
Old 11-28-2005, 10:16 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Rt3232
If all goes well i should have updated pics for you by Wed. IF ALL GOES WELL,
George
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
rt3232

JD hammer Hi

We see you lurking out there come on in and make a comment post some pic as I remember you are oor have built one of these birds

Cheers
Old 11-29-2005, 08:54 PM
buck1856

rt3232,i looked at all the posts.am going to do the same.i ill go look at corsairjocks thread for the firewall mod.i did some lightning on the wing so far and kept the scraps also. on just the wing alon,barebone frame up i have 3.75 oz in the bag already.ill be buying a new pc and digital camera this week so i can start posting pics.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 PM
rt3232

Buck

Sounds like you have a plan.with good ideas, I only have one warning, some of these scale guys have such good things going, you can get distracted, just reading there threads keeps my head band way to tight, so I do what I can and enjuy there threads, looking fwd to see how you do

cheers Bob t
Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 PM
ctflyboy

Rt3232
here you go another attempt at uploading
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 PM
ctflyboy

it said it was uploaded, will try again

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.