Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Painting the tri color Corsair H9 ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Painting the tri color Corsair H9 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 09:24 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painting the tri color Corsair H9 ?

Suggestions please ;
1)Is there a method or correct look to the tri color scheme ? For example the some planes seem to have the middle intermediate blue curve into the next color while other seem to be more straight .
2)Dont know if I wnat to keep any of the original H9 blue , but if I do does anyone know if its the midnight blue H9 Paint ?? Just makeing suer because someone said they have one called Corsiar Blue ?
3)ANOther modeler used Modle Masters Blue angle Fs15050 for top cote ,
Intermediate Blue FS 35164 for the middle Cote and simple flat white for the base cote .Has anyone else used Model masters over ultra cote ?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painting the tri color Corsair H9 ?

LDM,
I would strip off the covering, glass it, then paint it. Strength added, plus a better look. I would also fill in the wing top and bottom with balsa sheeting. Good luck.

"Keep 'Em Flying!"
Flak
Old 12-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

LDM,

1) Yes, there is a correct tri-color scheme. But it kinda depends what time of the year they where painted as the colors and camo patterns changed abit through out the war from '43 to '45. So without getting into too much detail and writing a whole book here on that subject, I would recommend the book "Corsair Aces of WWII" by Mark Styling From Osprey Aircraft of the Aces Vol. 8. It's a very good book on Corsairs with a nice color plate section.

2) Are you planning on painting over the iron on film? I don't know if that will work as I never tried it. I too would like to change mine to the tri color scheme but I figured I would have to glass and paint it.
As far as I know, The plane is covered with H-9 Corsair Blue and the painted parts are H-9 midnight blue. Why they did that I don't know because they don't make a H-9 Corsair Blue paint, But they do make H-9 Midnight Blue covering. As you can tell they are a shade off. Why not just do it all midnight blue? Go figure.

3) I believe the "typical" tri-colors you seek are as follows: Top- FS 35042 non-specular sea blue. Mid- FS 35164 Intermediate blue. Bottom- FS 37875 Insignia white. Some may argue that the bottom was light grey and not white as some earlier Corsairs were. Although not entirely carved in stone, these are cross reference numbers. They didn't have FS numbers during WWII. Some earlier Corsairs used a two tone scheme and three tone schemes of different color combos. Late in the war they went to an all glossy sea blue.

Good reference books on colors and facts are: "M&M models military aircraft color guide" ( color chips)
and "USAAF Aircraft markings and camouflage 1941 - 1947"

Well anyway, Thats my 2 cents. Hope that all helps.

WARBIRD MAN
Old 12-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Warbird Man

LDM,

I forgot to add "U.S. Navy Aircraft camouflage and markings 1940-'45" by Thomas E. Doll. Another great reference book.

WARBIRD MAN
Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
LDM

Thanks a ton guys , dont know if I want to strip the entire thing . I did add gear doors , an entire interior and slideing canopy all without having to remove the original covering . I guess I dont want to strip it because the tail will still be flat so it will never be that scale . I am shooting for a more Fun scale look with some age .
Thanks for all the referance I will use it all
Old 12-03-2005, 11:55 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2 books mentioned above would be my recommendations also, altho the full correct title of the one I have is:
"NAVY AIR COLORS
United States Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Aircraft Camouflage and Markings Vol. 1 1911-1945"
published by Squadron/ Signal publications.

That book AND "Corsair Aces of World War 2" (Osprey publications) is where I got my influence to re-finish THIS Hanger 9 Corsair (always looking for another excuse to post more pics of it). It also sports a Top Flite Corsair cowl and canopy, for better scale appearance. Behr exteriot semi-gloss house paint was sprayed over 'glassed balsa sheeted areas and flat gray CoverRite covered framed up areas.
BTW: it is electric powered
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23495.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	364173  
Old 12-03-2005, 04:22 PM
LDM

That is one sweet looking plane !!!! I had a top flight cowl in my hand the other day and I did not know if we would be to big , I should have grabbed it up
Old 12-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Tommy_Gun

Corsairjock,

Is that really a H9 F4U?

I had one last year and it had a flat section sticking past the fuselage from the wing center section.

The one pictured doesnt seem to have that same area.

It was as if the wing center section was made too wide at the rear.

The one in the picture looks to have the center section built up just as my Top Flite F4U
Old 12-03-2005, 08:38 PM
deputydog

The covering is a great median to paint on! First you will need to either sand the entire plane with 600 grit or use scotchbrite pads. I have used TESTORS paints but have sealed them with polyurethane or a clear epoxy paint. My Black Sheep corsair was done in this fashion with a base of aluminum monocote. 1/64th graphics tape used to mark panel lines. Spray and then remove the tape. The tri color blue scheme was different on each type aircraft. For the most part the Intermediate blue was for and aft of the fus on the Corsair. The bottom was white and stopped at the wing fold with the outer half of the wing blue.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
LDM

Thanks DD , I just standed the tail , painted the under side with the Model masters flat white . I am going to test it on that area and see how it takes . Based on the temps in Pa I am will get a good range of extreme from cold garage to warm house (less direct sun ) . I figure I will let it cure and proceed if all looks good .

This is my second H9 , the first was a beater and my second warbird . This one is a keeper , so far I have the interior , the sliding canopy , gear doors , now the final touch will be the paint .
I will post some pics when its all done .
need to get my pilot started as well
Old 12-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Warbird Man

I'm curious,

I have no doubt you can paint on iron on coverings. Although I have never tried it. My concern would be does the paint crack and peel off after awhile when the covering wrinkles up abit in direct sun light at 90 degree plus weather. And can the wrikling be fixed without paint damage? Has anybody time tested this method?

WARBIRD MAN
Old 12-03-2005, 09:49 PM
LDM

I have painted over moncote with zero problems.
You tighten the covering first , sand it lightly and paint .
Yes it can come loose but with a very low heat gun at a 15 " distance you can reshrink it .
You also have to clear cote the paint if its not fule proof .

At one time most of the Top Flight kits suggested monocote with paint in there build plans
Old 12-04-2005, 12:14 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: FlinVR

Corsairjock,

Is that really a H9 F4U?

I had one last year and it had a flat section sticking past the fuselage from the wing center section.

The one pictured doesnt seem to have that same area.

It was as if the wing center section was made too wide at the rear.

The one in the picture looks to have the center section built up just as my Top Flite F4U
Yes, it really is a Hanger 9 Corsair.
Among other modifications, I modified the wing center section before outer wing attachment, by shortening it. Basically, I sawed about 3/8" off of each side, removed the ribs from the sawed off sections, then re-attached the ribs. 1st picture below is of another Hanger 9 Corsair that I did the same thing too. Fuselage still has original covering, and modified center section is bolted up to it.

As for Top Flite cowl: it is smmaler in diameter than Hanger 9 one, and is actually a snug fit on the un-modified Hanger 9 fuselage. It makes it more scale looking IMO, and is stronger (altho about 3.5 oz heavier also). On my Hanger 9 Corsairs, I modify the forward fuselage and remove the original firewall to create a scale looking rounded off forward fuselage/ firewall. This allows a great deal of cooling air to escape (greatly aiding engine cooling) as well as greatly enhancing scle looks, and allowing the Top Flite cowl to be easily installed. 2nd picture below shows the modified front, which needs to have a square ply plate added for cowl mounting yet.
3rd pic is closeup of finished result.

For more info on this mod, click on the link below and go to post #10:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Hang...1796555/tm.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60165.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	364473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10162.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	364474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94119.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	364475  
Old 12-04-2005, 01:12 PM
deputydog

You will find that the paint is quite plyable. I have had the monocote wrinkle and as LDM states it can be heated and tightened without any ill effect. I have painted a few birds like this. TF Corsair, TF AT6 and a WM giant P-51 to name a few.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:32 AM
LDM

I emailed Horizon on what color paint to order for the cowl , guess what ??? They dont make it , its called Corsiar Blue ....lol .
As someone elese pointed out it is differant then then the blue ultacote , but I really thought that Horizon would have had it in a can , oh well off to the paint store
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lou, Nelson Hobby does carry Corsair Blue that matches the UltraCote color on the H9 Corsair, just in case you are interested.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Tommy_Gun

Very nice job on bashing that ARF Corsairjock!

I may have to give that a try after I retire the TF F4U.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:28 AM
JohnMcGowan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 60 size Jamara arf(made in Germany)that was ultracoat covered and after a year or so of being tired of the 'funky blue with yellow wingtips I decided to paint the plane. I got some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and scuffed the ultracoat so the paint would have something to adhere to. I went to Lowes and bought Rustoleum spraypaint in a rattle can- I know one of the colors was slate blue but cant remember the other color blue(I'll try and remember to look tonite). They didnt have a close enough color for the off white bottom color so I then journeyed to Autozone and found a small spraycan of touch-up auto paint (Duplicolor was the brand I believe) in a color called Artic white. I cleaned the plane good with alcohol and sprayed that puppy!! I held some heavy paper as a divider for the 2 different colors of blue about 2 inches away from the plane as to give it a blended look between the colors .I let the spraypaint dry for a few days then clearcoated everything with "light" coats of hangernine clear to fuelproof it all. I must say it came out looking pretty darn good .I dont have any pics of it here at work,otherwise I would show you what it looked like. Sadly this past summer , one of the aileron servos stripped out while flying mid throttle about 40 foot off the deck and she went in hard The results were well worth it and the cost was maybe $10.00 or so for all the paint.
Hope this helps some. Keep 'um flying!!! John
Old 12-06-2005, 11:44 AM
LDM

Thanks Rich , I will go to there site .
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
TAZ

CorsairJock I would love to here how you did the rounded part at your firewall in detail (pics if possible), as i would love to make slight alterations to my segull models corsair...

Taz
Old 12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Dlavp47

LDM,Try going to a site called IPMS Stockholm.org. Its a plastic model site, but has a wealth of info on paints and such
Old 12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
JohnMcGowan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got the colors on the rustoleum spray paint from Lowes: dark blue is american accents midnight blue satin and the lighter blue is american accents slate blue satin.Hope this helps.
John
Old 12-08-2005, 05:52 AM
LDM

John that was my first stop but at the time I was looking at a good match for the existing blue so that I did not have to paint the entire plane over .
I may try the slate blue for the middle but I did find the Corsiar blue on Nelson website per Rich (thanks Rich ) . My goal is to tweek-scale this plane but keep it as light as possible and not remove any of the sport like flying charactreistics .
Old 12-08-2005, 08:42 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: TAZ
CorsairJock I would love to here how you did the rounded part at your firewall in detail (pics if possible), as i would love to make slight alterations to my segull models corsair...
And I would love to have the time to provide all that you requested, as I did before I took on my new job. I did take some pics along the way, but somehow lost them all, and don't have time to take more (too late anyway).
BUT, I will try to find the time within the next week to post documention on my methods in the 'Hanger 9 Corsair Mods' thread (see link I posted in previous post).
Thanks for the interest.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:22 PM
TAZ

Cheers corsairjock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.