Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Draganfly Innovations Products
Reload this Page >

Draganflyer V Ti Pro & SAVS Aerial POV Video

Community
Search
Notices
Draganfly Innovations Products Discuss all the Draganfly Innovations Products in this forum

Draganflyer V Ti Pro & SAVS Aerial POV Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Sky High

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draganflyer V Ti Pro & SAVS Aerial POV Video

Basic Eyecam Camera Ti Pro Tests

Below are 3 tests of the basic DF Eyecam system flown on the Ti Pro. When these were shot about 5 weeks ago (as of this post), there was absolutely no anti-vibration measures in place. This first day of using the camera was tragic. I had flown several consecutive nights prior with no issues whatsoever. This day was different. I simply took off as usual and as you will see within 2-3 minutes, the power just failed for no apparent reason. I was about 50 ft above the tallest tree for a total of about 100 ft and my DF made a free fall on the express elevator to hell! [X(] I think that I stopped breathing for a few seconds. I then ran up to the area it where it crashed and at first glance, there was no apparent damage. The battery jarred loose from the the tray but that was about it. I couldn't believe it! So I adjusted the motor angles, recalibrated and proceeded to fly again. Within a few minutes, it happened again but at much lower altitude, about 20 ft. [>:] This time I broke a rotor or two. I readjusted and recalibrated again, then took off and it happened again! [:@] So, I just packed up and went to the house to try to find out what caused these power failures. I couldn't seem to figure it out. Well, the following night, I went to fly again still without knowing what the hell caused the crashes before. As I was preparing to fly and arming the helo, that's when I noticed the LEDs cutting off as I attached the battery connector to the board. Then I got no power, so I then jiggled the power connector and it came back on and then off again. I realized that the power connector on the board was loose at the at the solder joint and that it must have been the cause of the power failures earlier. I touched the two board terminals with a solder gun and it became real solid again. That fixed the power failure. That 100 ft freefall must have finished off what was a power joint separation in progress because remember the battery did come loose from the velcro and it must have yanked that connector really good. But, what made the first failure occur since I had flown without any issues several days in a row? Who knows?

Camera Test Demos

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/cameratest/FREEFALL.asx]Camera Test 1 - 100 ft Free Fall![/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/cameratest/CAMERATEST2.asx]Camera Test 2[/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/cameratest/CAMERATEST3.asx]Camera Test 3[/link]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Sky High

Default RE: Draganflyer V Ti Pro POV Video

Latest Satellite, I mean DF Ti Pro Overhead Images!

Well, I had a good flight today. Not great because there was a bit of wind but not enough to keep me grounded. [sm=biggrin.gif]I managed to get some video but there was alot of break up. So I pulled a couple of stills to show the height that I achieved. As you can see, I got pretty damn high! I even surprised myself considering the wind! I will edit the video down and post it shortly. The foam that I placed in both ball joints of the camera mount didn't seem to get rid of the vibration. So, my next step is to place some foam under the O ring so that the camera is not touching anything solid. Here are the latest satellite images of the Area 51.5 test grounds for the super duper top secret black project. Our best image interpreters have decided that the white box in the field area is a landing pad for a new secret aircraft. Is this high enough? I'm guessing this is at least 500 ft. Who needs a satellite, U2 or Blackbird when you have a DF?!

A real, live Life Net helo landed in the parking lot where I was flying. That's their typical pad which is just a couple of blocks from the hospital. I always stop and watch when they land and take off. I showed the pilot my DF and he didn't know what to say other than, "what's that?". He had to go, so I didn't get to demo for him, maybe next time.

I had 6 great flights later in the evening about an hour before dark. That is probably the best time because you can still see the helo and the lights show up very well! After dark, I decided to do some flyovers of the multi court tennis complex next the the field. They couldn't even see me anywhere because I was still in the stadium area and in the dark so they didn't know who or what was controlling it. The helo with all of the lights flew and hovered over them a few times and then landed on one of the empty courts. There was really no reaction until I decided to land on one of the courts and I heard, "it's gonna land on the court!" When I touched down, I said to myself, Houston, the Eagle has landed! Performing a remote landing was a big accomplishment for me by having barriers and distance between myseft and the helo. This thing is absolutely bad ass!! [sm=thumbup.gif] Now if I could just get a PA speaker to fit on it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71020.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	373543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77596.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	373544  
Old 01-08-2006, 02:46 AM
Sky High

Lastest Video using standard Eyecam mount

Below are two demo videos of the DF that I shot this evening about an hour before dark using the standard Eyecam mount. The second one has some higher altitude footage and was a scary experience when it came to bringing back the helo from a considerable height and distance. Both demos turned out nicer than I expected and with less vibration than I have been experiencing. The self induced spin in both was intentional to ensure a fast, smooth descent. I have found that vertical or horizontal descents from higher altitudes are more shaky and cause rotor clipping respectively so I am a true believer in laminating the rotors in case of frame strikes. See this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3619343]post link[/link] showing the padding that I'm using in the mount's ball joints.

This demo shows the construction of a new high school and is just some hovering shots to try and maintain a constant position. I did have a monitor but have found that it's not a good idea to alternate back and forth from trying to watch the helo and watch the monitor. Too much can happen real fast if you get locked onto the monitor you actually can't find the helo in the sky for a few seconds and by then something could have happened. I am probably going to check into getting the video eyewear.

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/school/SCHOOL1.asx]School Construction Aerial 1[/link]

Once reaching the highest point, my 6 minute alarm (halfway point) went off and it was time to start bringing it back safely. When I began doing that at that height, I heard the infamous frame tapping noise of the rotors. I quickly let the Ti recover the level but was still along way away from the pad. [X(] I realized then that the only reason I was still flying was because I had taped the rotors top and bottom. I would be rebuilding a totalled DF it those rotors had not have been laminated. Once inducing the spin while descending, I temporarily lost orientation of the nose even though I had nav lights. It all just happened so fast and I was at such a distance that by the time I saw the lights indicating the nose, I had overcorrected. I did this back and forth several times and it was a site to behold, those lights twirling in the sky. The DF was pendulating like a leaf out of a tree as it descended. When you're up there, you don't have time to think, if you think, you're dead! Sorry, I just had to say that. Somehow, after wrestling with it for about 2 minutes while spinning and tilting I got it closer, lower, finally stabilized ultimately landing in the palm of my hand. I probably had only a minute of battery left with all that stunt flying going on. I never would have been able to recover without having nav lights to indicate nose orientation. I honestly could not believe I got it back in one piece. What a machine! [sm=thumbup.gif]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/school/SCHOOL2.asx]School Construction Aerial 2[/link]

Name:	Ig11030.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	383232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30241.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	383233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84385.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	383234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69693.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	383235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68751.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	383236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eu22135.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	383237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91660.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	383238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nm42775.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	383239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf67829.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	383240  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Sky High

Industrial Park Flight Video

All I can say, is that I can't wait to get the high end video system. I am so tired of great flights being recorded with crappy video! [>:] Anyway here is some video in an abondoned industrial park that I shot this evening just before dark. The RF interference was really bad in this area for some reason.

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/industrialpark/INDUSTRIALPARK1.asx]Industrial Park Flight Video 1[/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/industrialpark/INDUSTRIALPARK2.asx]Industrial Park Flight Video 2[/link]

Name:	Fd92878.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	383241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99717.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	383242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53534.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	383243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56244.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	383244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81564.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	383245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23253.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	383246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo13945.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	383247  
Old 01-08-2006, 03:10 AM
Sky High

Braves Stadium Aerial Video

I had an interesting and successful flight over our Braves Stadium this evening. It is the little brother of the Atlanta Braves. This evening, I experienced rotor strikes again as usual but the helo stayed in the air because my rotors are laminated! I'm beginning to just ignore that tapping sound because nothing happens anymore. This flight was great and uneventful but the first one at this location didn't go so well. Find out what happened at the link below.

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/stadium2/STADIUM1.asx]Stadium Flight 1[/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/stadium2/STADIUM2.asx]Stadium Flight 2[/link]

Related Post: The Fatal Stadium Crash Images & Info
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3680056

Name:	Bz77575.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	383248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93401.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	383249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93604.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	383250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49928.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	383251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te48723.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	383252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wm84767.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	383253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11470.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	383254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca92291.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	383255  

Name:	Qo10469.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	383256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13167.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	383257  
Old 01-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Sky High

Draganflyer V Ti Pro - Night Aerial Video

This is footage taken at a shopping center from a Draganflyer V Ti Pro at around 250-300 ft.

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/lot/LOT1.asx]Night Flight 1[/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/lot/LOT2.asx]Night Flight 2[/link]

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/lot/LOT3.asx]Night Flight 3[/link]

Name:	Ay75816.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	393375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34545.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	393376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21960.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	393377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do81031.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	393378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ja41275.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	393379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba90852.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	393380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk86478.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	393381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nz19537.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	393382  

Name:	Io66734.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	393383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv87002.jpg
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	393384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62946.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	393385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55219.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	393386  
Old 01-23-2006, 09:28 AM
yvesOttawa

Default RE: Draganflyer V Ti Pro Aerial POV Video

Which shot was at 250 feet? Comparing with that building there, it looks more like 150feet max. This shot I took was at 130 feet and by comparing the size of the parking spaces on your shots with the vehicle size in mine, there's no way you are 250-300 ft.

Old 01-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: yvesOttawa

Which shot was at 250 feet? Comparing with that building there, it looks more like 150feet max. This shot I took was at 130 feet and by comparing the size of the parking spaces on your shots with the vehicle size in mine, there's no way you are 250-300 ft.
I know that I wasn't clear but I figured it would be obvious that I meant the highest image seemed to be in that range. Do you have an altimeter on that plane that you shot that image from? IF you don't then you are just as possibly wrong as I am. The fact is that I don't know exactly how high I was OR how high I have ever been. Noone does if they don't have an altimeter on board, it's all estimation. That's why I try to give a range. In the past, I probably overestimated the heights that I have flown but not to impress, just by inexperience. The way that I estimate my altitude is by flying at a stadium while standing in one end zone with my DF hovering in the other end zone. Now that's one big ruler or yard stick! Then I look at how big my DF is at that distance of 100 yards or 300 FT!! So, when my DF is directly overhead and looks to be the same size in the sky as it was at 300 ft away in the stadium, I have a really good idea as to how high I am. What do you use to judge altitude if you don't have an altimeter?
Old 01-23-2006, 04:34 PM
yvesOttawa

ORIGINAL: Sky High Now, what do you use to judge altitude if you don't have an altimeter?
That's easy, it's called trigonometry. If you have someone standing at a known distance from you with a protractor and is able to read the angle at which the DF is sighted in the sky (relative to the ground), then the height is calculated by doing:

tan(degrees) x (distance observer is from you) = height of DF directly above you

Now to my second point, I was not trying to be "definitive" in my previous comment. I was simply giving my opinion that I didn't believe those shots where taken from 250 feet. I felt it was only fair to put in my 5 cents so people who are potentially looking at buying a DF for video/photos, are not led to believe that it is that easy to land shots from 250 feet or more.

It is very difficult to even tell where the DF is at 300 feet, daytime or with your "nav lights" I'm sure.

You really don't have to fly off the handle with your reply. This is a forum and others can chime in whenever they want to your posts.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
poorjohn6

The photo you supplied was OUTSTANDING!

Just what camera are you using? It looks like a still camera rather than a video printout, but that's just a guess. It is the best I have seen from from a DF.

John
Old 01-23-2006, 05:58 PM
yvesOttawa

It's from an airplane.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
poorjohn6

Yes, but what camera?

I have bunches of electric planes, mostly restored crashes and parts of totals, and would like to add a camera. As I am an expert on crashing, I am looking for an inexpensive model camera.

What do you suggest?

John
Old 01-23-2006, 07:12 PM
yvesOttawa

Nikon 6MP on a 60 gasser. My buddy's plane and stuff. He flies like that in town, crazy bugger. I'm the one that tracked the plane with a protractor so I know he was just above 130 feet.

I don't think an electric plane could carry much. You practically have to hand launch those don't you?
Old 01-23-2006, 08:35 PM
poorjohn6

You'r right about the hand launch, regardless of what is advertised. From what I have read, a large wingspread (48"+) should lift more than the DF. Have not found a low cost film/digital camera yet, but looking. The drug store disposals are too heavy due to batteries and flash.

John
Old 01-23-2006, 08:59 PM
Sky High

Did you have to bring up trigononmetry? I thought I'd never have to deal with that again.

yvesOttawa, oh I didn't mean to sound like that. I think I just initially took it the wrong way. Written words are easily misinterpreted for obvious reasons but I try to be very clear with what I say and have facts to support it. When I screw up, I'm the first one to admit it. Look at all of those posts with pictures of me talking about those crashes, recoveries and the famous helo hunt! [sm=lol.gif] Looking back, I think I have been off the mark many times on my estimations of altitude, especially posts stating 1000 ft altitudes. I just know that I have sent that thing so high several times at night and once in the day that I couldn't see it or hear and could only and barely see the tail strobe on those night flights. I'm not doing that anymore because it's pointless and too risky to the helo. You can't accurately control what you can't see.

As far as landing shots from these high altitudes, if you haven't done it yet, then how can you comment like that? I think I have provided alot of various images and video, more than anyone in this forum so far, to demonstrate the diversity of this helo. Noone ever said you didn't have the right to comment. I definitely want to hear feedback from you and others too. I wish there was a lot more activity in this forum because it's been really dead for a while now. I am mostly showing quantifiable results, good or bad, by posting images and video and not just talking about it and when someone says that can't be when there it is right there for everyone to see that is not received well. I like speaking with you and surely like a good argument for assessment.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Sky High

Below are some great reference images with altitude readouts to compare to your (anyone's) aerial images or video to get an idea of how high you were. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Name:	Ge96142.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	394708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79791.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	394709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30494.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	394710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13742.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	394711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14981.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	394712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86151.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	394713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt32473.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	394714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih25474.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	394715  

Old 01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
yvesOttawa

Those are really great points of reference, Sky High. Espescially the 130, 200 and 500 foot shots. I think I'll be putting those aside for future use as well
Old 01-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Sky High

The thread below is where I got those images. It has alot of other interesting methods of determining altitude and I think someone else even mentions math (yuk) like you did. The other link is that graph that has the bars for a real time visual reference. Someone had applied that graph on the bottom of their plane wing. I thought it was much bigger and was supposed to be put on the ground and be seen by an onboard camera.

Estimating Altitude
www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3814024/tm.htm

Altitude Measuring Graph
http://www.glide.dyndns.org/on-the-w...tude_scale.pdf
Old 02-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Sky High

Here is a great video of a helo hovering with GPS positioning and real time OSD showing altitude and a whole lot more. Assuming this altitude display is dead on, my past estimations of my flight altitudes were way off. This is a great way to estimate your DF altitude from images or video.

hovering helo with real time OSD
http://www.carvecsystem.co.uk/Kestre...vationDemo.wmv
Old 02-16-2006, 01:07 PM
scottslc

While the weather keeps me from flying, I've been trying to refine my video processing techniques. Here's the latest, my flash viewer. http://www.slcity.com/df

Here's to waiting for the snow to clear...
Scott
Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 AM
Sky High

It is important to know that this this flight was done for stills only so that's why there isn't much flying around but the video turned out to be really smooth. I don't fly using a monitor right now so everything is framed by estimating the location of the camera. Because of this, I didn't know that people had driven into the complex because of my location on the ground. They couldn't see me either but you can see them staring at the helo and I can't imagine what they were thinking.

[link=http://www.jefcommunications.com/asx/helo/rcu/DFI/storagerooms/STORAGEROOMS.asx]Storage Room Facility Aerials[/link]

Name:	Qo40277.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	409801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53089.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	409802  
Old 02-17-2006, 11:26 AM
yvesOttawa

Looking great Sky. Great work! Especially the stabilized version. Which software do you use?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:32 PM
poorjohn6

Perhaps someone could assist me regarding viewing the video that Sky posted. When I click on the link, a new window opens, but no video. The window just shows "done".

John
Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Sky High

ORIGINAL: yvesOttawa

Looking great Sky. Great work! Especially the stabilized version. Which software do you use?
It is DFI's version of 2D3 and is a plugin that only works in Adobe Premiere for now.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 PM
jkantiques

HI ALL, NEW TO THE FORUMS AND ALSO THE DRAGANFLYER V TI PRO. NEED TO KNOW.... WHEN I ARM THE TI AND THEN SELF LEVELING IS DONE.WHAT SHOULD THE DRAGANFLYER DO AT THIS POINT. WHEN I START MOTORS VERY SLOWLY IT TENDS TO PULL TO ONE SIDE,VERY HARD TO START TRIMMING.IS THIS NORMAL OR IS MY TI NOT WORKING RIGHT. WITH TI OFF,STARTING MOTORS AND TRIMMING IS VERY EASY.PLEASE,SOMEONE HELP......SKY HIGH...I KNOW YOU KNOW THIS ONE HELP!!!!
THANKS KEVIN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.