Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

good beginner buggy--300.00??

Old 12-24-2005, 10:18 AM
rcnutman
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good beginner buggy--300.00??

hi all,
I am a nitro truck guy.......I am starting to show an interest in rc buggy's. I am looking for some direction here. I want to buy a entry level buggy ( i want to keep cost down and make sure i like the buggy style before i go buy a expensive one)....I am looking at two buggies rite now. The first is the ofna ultra gt lx rtr, Nice looking and I hear ofna is a great name!! ( this one is just so inexpensive????) The second is the gs storm, its also a nice looking buggy with low cost. I must say i have never heard of GS? I have heard much about ofna...........I just want to keep cost down but i dont want a POS !!!!!!!!..................I would love some feedback on these cars or any other cars that you guys want to share with me...........As long as the price is under 330.00..............
Thanks

PS I know the more you spend the more you get.......I just want an entry level buggy
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 AM
cjennings

Default RE: good beginner buggy--300.00??

If i was you i would look the Hyper 7
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 AM
scrapheep

You can do a search for beginner buggies... and spend hours on end reading about them.
To save you some trouble... there is no such thing as a good $300 buggy...I know some knowitall is going to chime in to the contrary, but the truth is a $300 buggy will cost over $400 to get up and running...then double that cost to get it running reliably (AKA upgrade servos,radio,diff fluids,replacement pull starters and broken parts ,etc).

You can try to get into buggies for cheap, but most RTR equpment is cleverly designed to frustrate you and drain your life savings $5 at a time...youll spend thousands to replace all the hair you pull out of your head whilst muddling around with a supposedly cheap car.

Best bet is to save a little more cash till you can afford to get into a mid level buggy like a Mayhem RTR or Jammin RTR, $500-$600 up front will get you a car that is not disposable and wont cost an arm and 2 legs trying to get going.

Remember the most important rule of RC...Have Fun.
It is NOT fun dealing with all the headaches associated with a budget priced crap nugget.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 AM
rcnutman

THANKS FOR THE REPLY GUYS !........I AM ONLY LOOKING TO SPEND 300.00.........I LOOKED AT THE PRICE FOR THE HYPER 7. I AM SURE ITS A WAY BETTER BUGGY, BUT IT OUT OF MY RANGE ( ATLEASE TILL I DECIDE IF I LIKE THE STYLE)........................[8D]

LIKE I SAID I KNOW YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..........IVE BEEN INTO TRUCKS N BOATS FOR A LONG TIME. IM OK WITH AN ENTRY LEVEL BUGGY........IM SURE THINGS WILL BREAK A LOT EASIER AND IT WILL HAVE A CHEAP RADIO,SERVOS AND ALL THAT STUFF........ I WANT TO DECIDE IF I LIKE THE RIDE STYLE FIRST..........IF I DO THEN I CAN UPGRADE IT OR SELL IT FOR A BETTER ONE................

SO COME ON GUYS WHO OWNS ONE OF THESE BABIES AND WHAT DO YOU THINK OF IT?????????????
Old 12-24-2005, 12:43 PM
SManMTB

$300 including everything? -- Can't be done, or at least it's going to be difficult.

For a cheap buggy you might want to try the SHO from RDLogics for $300 fro the RTR kit. I have no experience with it but RCU had a review of it and it didn't look all that bad. I don't know about spareparts and so. [link=http://www.rdlogics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=99300&type=store]Check it![/link]
Old 12-24-2005, 01:18 PM
cjennings

Just save up and buy either the Hyper 7 PCR or PDS version. There almost the same thing. And they both come with starter boxes, and glowplug ignitors.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:30 PM
rcnutman

www.towerhobbies.com ..........they have the gs storm rtr http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLMB8&P=0 for 309.00, there is also a 30.00 dollar back deal rite now !!..........

the ofna is 269.00 with 20.00 dollars back..... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLTL4&P=0 ..........

I looked at the rc logics sho..............its out of stock

Old 12-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Motohead24

i beg to differ with this opinion.i have an rd logics sho buggy.absolutely nothing wrong with this vehicle.a very good deal for 299.has alot of upgrades already on it.i opened the diff last week expecting to find grease and plastic gears but lo and behold,4 metal spider gears in fluid.the buggy is very runnable out of the box.i have had it at the track and broken nothing.flipped it,cartwheeled it and nothing.i have put a bit of money into it,certainly nowhere close to what the jammin and mayhem cost.i also bought a starter box,ofna,for 80 bux but who here does not buy one in their time?carbon fiber parts,steel where there should be steel.and the motor is pretty potent also.easily tunable and broke it in very easily.for those who think you cannot get a decent beginner buggy for 300 simply are closeminded and pretty much simpletons.there ya go scrapheep,an opinion from a "knowitall".
ORIGINAL: scrapheep

You can do a search for beginner buggies... and spend hours on end reading about them.
To save you some trouble... there is no such thing as a good $300 buggy...I know some knowitall is going to chime in to the contrary, but the truth is a $300 buggy will cost over $400 to get up and running...then double that cost to get it running reliably (AKA upgrade servos,radio,diff fluids,replacement pull starters and broken parts ,etc).

You can try to get into buggies for cheap, but most RTR equpment is cleverly designed to frustrate you and drain your life savings $5 at a time...youll spend thousands to replace all the hair you pull out of your head whilst muddling around with a supposedly cheap car.

Best bet is to save a little more cash till you can afford to get into a mid level buggy like a Mayhem RTR or Jammin RTR, $500-$600 up front will get you a car that is not disposable and wont cost an arm and 2 legs trying to get going.

Remember the most important rule of RC...Have Fun.
It is NOT fun dealing with all the headaches associated with a budget priced crap nugget.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:17 PM
Hpi_mt2

I think I say this for everyone and just save a little bit more money and just buy something a little more better quality often sometimes the lower quality items of companies have discontinued there products sometimes(Note: I'm not saying every company does this)Anyways, in my honest opinion I would save a bit more. Dont get desperate and get a used buggy from ebay most of the time you have nothing but problems.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM
scrapheep

for those who think you cannot get a decent beginner buggy for 300 simply are closeminded and pretty much simpletons.there ya go scrapheep,an opinion from a "knowitall".
Yep...just as I predicted...spent $300, forgot to add the cost of starter equipment, and never ran long enough to break one single part

Motohead you really are a knowitall...you must really think your the only one who started this hobby the hard way.
I just wish someone would have had the gumption to be brutally honest with me when I got started...could have saved UNTHINKABLE amounts of $$$ buying junk servos,engines, useless hop ups...all on the advice of knowitalls like you [:'(]

rcnutman, it's a free country...do what you wish. I just tried to warn you that it's better to spend $600 and be satisfied, than spend half as much to kick yourself in the ass.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:30 PM
cjennings

Scrapheep is absolutley right. Save up a little bit more money (only like $70) and buy yourself sothing you will be able to enjoy and as you get better you will learn new things to make it better.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Motohead24

um,actually,if you look at the specs for the buggies that have been mentioned including the sho,you will find that they are almost identical in parts and peices.like i predicted,someone talkin outta their place where the sun dont shine when they do not bother to look at things closely.there are much better buggies out there.but,for someone who does not "think" they are a professional nor have any inclinations to race on anything but a local club level,or if they just want to bash around the schoolyard for 300 dollars the sho is simply the best buy out there.which is all i said in the first place.for those who think not,better take a look at the up close features of the sho.alot of the same features as there are on the 900 dollars mugens and such.
ORIGINAL: scrapheep

for those who think you cannot get a decent beginner buggy for 300 simply are closeminded and pretty much simpletons.there ya go scrapheep,an opinion from a "knowitall".
Yep...just as I predicted...spent $300, forgot to add the cost of starter equipment, and never ran long enough to break one single part

Motohead you really are a knowitall...you must really think your the only one who started this hobby the hard way.
I just wish someone would have had the gumption to be brutally honest with me when I got started...could have saved UNTHINKABLE amounts of $$$ buying junk servos,engines, useless hop ups...all on the advice of knowitalls like you [:'(]

rcnutman, it's a free country...do what you wish. I just tried to warn you that it's better to spend $600 and be satisfied, than spend half as much to kick yourself in the ass.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:06 PM
dbogusz

is that ofna good..i heard ofnas are good......that one u gave us the link to whut is the original retail?......i am also looking for a good begginer buggy...i was checking out sites and found this http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle.cfm?vehicle_id=2
Old 12-24-2005, 08:23 PM
mgtman

seems like you are set on that buggy lol ,but the one you are mentioning is not a 1/8 scale buggy and some unkown 1/10 scale if you are looking for a 1/8 scale check out the choices above those look like they would be in your budget and much better then the car you are looking at
ORIGINAL: dbogusz

is that ofna good..i heard ofnas are good......that one u gave us the link to whut is the original retail?......i am also looking for a good begginer buggy...i was checking out sites and found this http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle.cfm?vehicle_id=2
Old 12-24-2005, 08:35 PM
jetta89wolfs

i got a storm last year and have had no problems. nothing broke yet and it's been a good basher. never raced it. it broke in easy like i sadi no problems yet. it may not be the best buggy on the market but i like it and i would buy another if i had to do it again.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:40 PM
buggiedude420

some ofna buggies are good and some are junk.but you will have a hard time finding a buggy ready to go for 300.00.you probaly are not going to.so i would just save a bit more money that way you wont be so limited to your choices.but either way i hope you luck
Old 12-24-2005, 10:36 PM
dbogusz

which is better for begginer buggy or truck.....whut are the pro`s and con`s ....i wanna use my car for jumps and dirst shreddin...whut type of car should i get?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:08 AM
shnnshn
My Feedback: (-1)

If you can find the RD Logics SHO, BUY IT.

It is nearly an exact copy of a $550.00 kit-- The Mugen MBX 5, the last two World 1/8 scale champion. I would guess it handles just like an MBX too, very forgiving to the beginner and easy to drive fast when you get good.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Motohead24

pay attention to the last post.lol.glad someone agrees with me.i love mine.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:29 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

A good entry level 1/8 scale buggy package can be gotten for $330 - everything included. You just need to have patience and watch Tower Hobbies and Ebay like a hawk. You also need to be NOT stuck on anything particular.

I got one of the last Ofna LX Comp RTR Tower had on clearance for less than $200. I don't particularly needed it, and truthfully speaking I didn't watch Tower like a hawk. I just got lucky and chanced upon it, and it was too good a deal to pass up. Now I could have easily assembled everything else I needed to operate it, including some commonly required spare parts off Ebay (and the Net in general) for $130, if I were just starting out.

If you are short on budget, you'd better be long on patience and latitude.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:33 PM
simonr23

here in aus, we have the ofna's under their native name of hobao. the hyper7 tq sport comes rtr here. as well as whats in the kit version u guys get, we get both chassis braces dual brakes(maybe same as u) radio and hyper21 4port installed. has the 3.5mm shocks too. all in all its an awesome buggy for $450aus. works out to about US$320+shipping. i have no idea what postage would be, but from what ive experienced myself from a place in perth its quite decent. there's 2 good sites to check out.
www.radiomodels.com.au
www.*********.com.au

cheers.