Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Saito 220 installed in Giant U-Can-Do 3d

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Saito 220 installed in Giant U-Can-Do 3d

Old 12-28-2005, 11:03 AM
BBriBro
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saito 220 installed in Giant U-Can-Do 3d

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

I'll try to have some better, more realistic numbers later.
More testing today, I have close to 2 hrs run time on it now, with about 45 minutes of it installed on the plane, inverted. The Zinger 20x6 turned 8100, the Pro Zinger 20x8 turned 7800, and a Dynathrust (don't laugh, it was just laying around ) 18x6 turned 9050. I think these numbers are respectable, the only problem with the 2 zingers is the transition was horribly lean. In fact if the low end was lean enough for any type of even a fast idle, it wouldn't transition, maybe that is just too much load so soon. The 18x6 on the other hand, had a good transition, it would spin up without sagging at all, even if the low end was leaned for a decent idle. I am able to sufficiently richen the top end now, so fuel delivery isn't an issue, and I'm hoping the transition troubles are just because it's new, If I remember right, Saitos seem take a long time before they really run perfect. If the transition doesn't get better, then maybe my tank is too high, requiring me to lean the low end due to excess fuel pressure, which then makes it starve if you snap the throttle open. I thought a tank mounted high with gravity helping would actually make it run too rich, but a lower tank might be better, allowing you to open the needles further, so then when the airflow in the venturi increases suddenly, you get more fuel easily, preventing the dreaded sag under a load.

I generally build a model and install the tank however it fits conveniently, has anyone actually experimented with changing the tank height in the same model, with the same engine? Another point though, in the case of an ARF, especially this one, the tank height is pretty much fixed, and there really is no choice but to invert the engine, therefore our installations should be similar to the designers and engineers, so we should have no trouble , right ?

Edit: The fuel I used was Powermaster 20/20
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I had the UCanDo60 with a Saito 100 on it...

I had to adjust the tank to be even with the carb for best performance and once I did it was a well behaved engine.

Also, once I started using 30% Heli fuel I never looked back. All the engines I used it on performed night and day against 15%. Idled lower, transitioned faster and top end RPM increased 800-1000 rpm. WOuld take a nominally powered Funtana 90 or 68" EF Yak and make a nicely powered aircraft with better idle & transition.

I don't fly a lot of glow anymore so the higher cost of the fuel isn't really an issue. But when I do fly I wanted the max performance.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 AM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I had the UCanDo60 with a Saito 100 on it...
Do you remember it taking a long time to be ultra reliable, and idle slowly ? I had a Saito 72 when they first came out, It really gave me fits for a while, and I was a bit upset that I had replaced the swiss watch of a 61 Fx. But after a while it idled much better and I didn't have any trouble with it from then on. I'll give this one some time, but the tank being a bit too high, and the engine inverted does make me wonder.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Maudib

Yep... on the 15% I started with it was always wanting to die at low idle so I had to bump up the throttle to idle higher than I like.... Then the transition was always a little "coughy". This for a couple of gallons til it all loosened up and it got better and the idle could be lowered and transition smoothed out.

Interesting enough, on a new engine that I ran in with 15%, then switched to 30%, it was like going from a tight new engine, to a well run in beast. It would idle real low from the get go and transition so smooth and fast it was great.

I'm speaking now of the Saito 1.80. I had a review to finish and couldn't wait til the engine "broke in proper". SO I had heard about the 30% and when I tried it... well... as I said... I never looked back.

I still run a couple tanks through it of 15% just to "get things going" but fly with 30%.

The wrod at our field was that the needed a good bit of time to break in. Well... 30% shortcut that for me. A brand new 1.80 was VERY well behvaed on the 30%
Old 12-28-2005, 01:27 PM
osxpro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a recommendation for those with the GUCD!

I have the GUCD with a Saito 180 on it (inverted). I have pretty much solved the issue of flooding and dead sticks. I added a heli saddle tank (located port side right next to the cowel- mounted externally). The saddle tank provides two HUGE advantages. The first is the saddle tank captures ANY air bubbles that would otherwise go into the carb. The second is I have a plastic fuel line cut off (the kind you pinch) on the fuel line that goes between the saddle tank and carb. When I'm not flying, I just pinch it closed. Right when I start it I'll un-pinch the line to allow fuel flow.
The Saddle tank is a HUGE improvement as it assists in providing perfect and consistant fuel flow to your carb. I get nuts with my GUCD inverted, waterfalls, inside loops, you name it.... Never once dead sticked due to air in the lines.
When I bring the GUCD in I always notice about 2 tablespoons worth of air in the saddle tank. That was air that never made it to the carb!!!!
The saddle tank on my plane was simply mounted with a good quality velcro strip, after 50+ flights, it's still stuck on perfectly!

Old 12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: osxpro

I have the GUCD with a Saito 180 on it (inverted). I have pretty much solved the issue of flooding and dead sticks. I added a heli saddle tank (located port side right next to the cowel- mounted externally).
Do you have any pics of this apparatus ? I understand the logic that it stays full and prevents air from getting to the carb, but it doesn't solve the issue of the tank being at the wrong height. In fact, now that I think about it, those of you having trouble with flooding must really have your tank too high, I don't have that problem, so maybe my tank is close to correct ? Certainly our tanks must all be very close to the same height, being in the same model, I wonder if the carb is in a different location on the 180 ? Effectively making the carb lower when the engine is inverted?

Edit: Maybe someone has both, and can post a nice rear shot, that shows the carbs. The 220 definately has a longer intake manifold, but it's also a taller engine, so it might be a wash once it's inverted, it's hard to say without seeing them both.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
osxpro

Here are the pics....
This setup is VERY easy to install - takes 10 minutes. What I like about this setup is, the fuel line runs out the cowl so you can "pinch" it off when not in use. This also gives you a visable 2oz fuel reserve!

As I said before... No matter how insane the 3D- no dead sticks!

As far as the fuel tank being higher than the carb... No way to get around it without moving the fuel tank. My setup, while not curing the disease, definately treats the symptoms.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38263.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	377005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14900.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	377006  
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
BBriBro

ORIGINAL: BBriBro

Maybe someone has both, and can post a nice rear shot, that shows the carbs. The 220 definately has a longer intake manifold, but it's also a taller engine, so it might be a wash once it's inverted, it's hard to say without seeing them both.
Thanks to Hobbsy, we have a pic to help show my point. If you look at his pic, the carbs appear to be at roughly the same height from the work bench, however notice the mounting lugs on the 220 are actually on top of the other engine, therefore if both engines were mounted at the same level, the carb on the 220 would actually be lower, which when the engine is inverted would make the carb higher.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83865.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	377125  
Old 01-10-2006, 07:38 PM
more power

have also installed saito 220 on gucd. used stock mount , with a 3 line, fill carb, exhaust, having saitos inverted with fuel problems, simple trick is to put a loop in your fuel line 1 inch above the spray bar , with this set up very lil flooding will happen , normally I fill start and fly, so it doesent get a chance to flood , landing at 1/2 tank or less no flooding at all, I still hand clear the moter before i add power to the glow plug and electric starter just to make sure , not real happy about the extra vibration from this 220 compared to the 180s but we will see how it breaks in . good luck
Old 01-29-2006, 06:46 AM
tsague
My Feedback: (11)

Hello everyone, I am wanting to purchase a new g-ucd with a new saito 180 tomorrow. A friend sent me this site on the saito 220. I am new and don't understand all that I am reading about the problems of the saito eng. I read an article on the g-ucd with a os 160 fx (dec 2005 model airplane). I love my 60 size ucd with a 100 saito, 40 size with a saito 82 and I have no problems. Should I go with the os 160? I don't need any problems. PLEASE someone call me today (sunday) on cell at 615-319-6762 gallatin, tn. Thanks, Terry.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:20 AM
osxpro

Giant UCD with Saito 180 is PERFECT..... All you have to do with this plane is re-inforce the rudder and Elev. The only other thing to do is rig your fuel line with a shut-off.... Other than that the Saito 180 is PERFECT with this Plane. Hovers at half throttle with an 18x6W APC
Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
more power

have 220 saito in a giant u can do mounted inverted on stock mounts provided by kit, have 10 flights on plane with no problems with flooding at idle or turned off, with the stock fuel tanks location you must add a loop in your fuel line that exceeds the top of the tank , the instalation pic at the start of this post is droping directly down witch will cause flooding , and eriatic idle , quick fix , come out of the fuel tank hole on the fire wall bring your fuel line UP to meet the top of the fuel tank loop it back down to the inlet , and have a nice day, you dont need a pump you dont need a regulator, exhaust pressure is more than enough to get you the proper supply of fuel
Old 04-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Buka

i am getting my GUCD in a few days ... i am planning to equip a saito 180 with a filler valve ... em ... is there any way of putting the tank on the cofg ... i have this set up on my flip and just works awsome ? another thing ... should i use the stock ca hinges or replace them with GP ca hinges ?

thanx