Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

RedCat Racing: Hurricane XP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Red-Rx7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Racing: Hurricane XP?

Hey all.

For Christmas this year, I wanted to purchase my father an R/C 1/8th scale Nitro buggy. He had been looking at a bunch of different 1/8th buggy's; but all were more than he really wanted to spend. Also like anything else, you typically gawk over the top-end models. Thus, the price tag is 400+ out the door.

Well, I was browing on EBay, and ended up purchasing a "RedCat Racing Hurricane XP" for 300 shipped (2day air, in time for Xmas). It was very nicely priced compared to the real name brand machines, and seemed to also meet my father's basic wishes. Yet, I can find hardly any information what-so-ever; and none on this forum. [:-]

Can anyone tell me anything about what I purchased? Hopefully, I don't receive a lot of ".. you purchased a pile of #&$&".

Here is the spec's and buggy:

Hightlights
4.43 Nitro .27 Engine
Full Action 4-Wheel Shaft Drive System
T6 High Quality And Anodized Aluminum Plate
Ready To Run (RTR)
Nitro AM GS Radio Included
Disc Brake System
125cc Fuel Tank, easy to refuel with super caliber to prevent overflowing and leaking
Adjustable Oil Filled Aluminum Shocks
High Performance Air-Cleaner
High Performance Ball Bearings Installed on Entire Vehicle
Chrome Anodized Exhaust System
Pre-Painted Body. More resitent to breakage than Lexan

DETAILED SPECS
Scale 1/8
Engine Size 27
Engine cc 4.43
Length 490mm
Front Track 258mm
Rear Track 260mm
Center Ground Clearence 27mm
Height (Overall) 190mm
Wheelbase 325mm
Weight (RTR no Fuel) 3300g
Front Tires 113*40mm
Rear Tires 113*40mm
Suspension Knee Action
Shocks 4 Aluminum Oil Filled
Gear Ratio 11.71:1
Transmission Shaft Drive
Differential Type Umbrella gear
Drive System 4WD
Chassis Type Aluminum Alloy
Radio System AM GS Nitro Radio
Brake Type Metal Disc
Fual Tank Capacity 125cc
Top Speed 100km/h

Any information, experience, etc would be nice.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Red-Rx7

Default RE: RedCat Racing: Hurricane XP?

One other thing, the buggy is RTR; and has the servos/receiver.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Red-Rx7

Bump.

Also, is the TEAM INFINITY 27 an ok engine? Info on engine:

Port - 3
• Displacement - 4.43 c.c. / 0.27 cu.in
• Bore - 18.5 mm
• Stroke - 16.5 mm
• Practical r.p.m. Range - 4,500 ~ 40,500
• Weight - 392 g
• Exhaust - Rear
• Carburetor - Slide
• Pull Starter - Yes

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Jay-r

Hi Red, First things first I'm not yet knowledgeable on RC's but I do know that there's alot more options to your 300 bucks.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/ofna_hyper_7.htm

check these Hyper 7 series and there prices, I've never driven one but all that I've heard from them are great stuff and look at the prices thy're only about 100 dollars more than that you're asking about.
Please take this as a consideration

Or you could get a CEN Matrix for about 440 bucks in RCDiscount/Custom RC Cars/Raidentech.com and alot cheaper in EBAY(I got mine for 399 bucks).

OOPS IM SORRY I DID NOT REALIZE YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT, THEN DISREGARD MY POST****************************
Old 12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Red-Rx7

ORIGINAL: Jay-r

Hi Red, First things first I'm not yet knowledgeable on RC's but I do know that there's alot more options to your 300 bucks.

http://www.nitrohouse.com/ofna_hyper_7.htm

check these Hyper 7 series and there prices, I've never driven one but all that I've heard from them are great stuff and look at the prices thy're only about 100 dollars more than that you're asking about.
Please take this as a consideration

Or you could get a CEN Matrix for about 440 bucks in RCDiscount/Custom RC Cars/Raidentech.com and alot cheaper in EBAY(I got mine for 399 bucks).

OOPS IM SORRY I DID NOT REALIZE YOU ALREADY BOUGHT IT, THEN DISREGARD MY POST****************************
Jay-R

Thanks for the reply. As you caught, I already purchased the Nitro Buggy. We typically don't spent that much on each other for Xmas, but I usually never purchase anything worthwhile for my father. You know how it goes, big boys/big toys. Its hard to spend less than 50.00 and have something usable/fun. So, it was a reach to spend 300.00 already.

But I do appreciate the response!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Jay-r

Hi Red, I have a Smartech Speedy Tiger 1/10th scale which I aslo bought out of ebay for 120bucks last year. It was not a popular brand like the Redcat Racing: Hurricane XP but guess what I had GREAT GREAT GREAT fun with it and is still running GREAT. I consider the Smartech Buggy very durable for it's price infact that is MY FIRST NITRO BUGGY and to this day that's the only nitro bug I use even though I have 2 other shelf queens
So basically dont worry even if it's a unheard of brand I'm sure with proper care and maintenace that thing will run GREAT!!!

Take care and God Bless,
Jr.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 PM
nitro-rc

Mike I to have just bought the hurricane xp and I was going out of my mind to find info ont the make and the factory settings for the carb. The car itself is fast as hell and really put together well I really would like to see the makers website to get factory settings like i said ? If you please let me know anything that you can tell me right now would be more than i uncovered I have spent 4 hours on the web and still no luck in finding anything usefull
Thanks Dana
Old 12-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Red-Rx7

ORIGINAL: dlaperle

Mike I to have just bought the hurricane xp and I was going out of my mind to find info ont the make and the factory settings for the carb. The car itself is fast as hell and really put together well I really would like to see the makers website to get factory settings like i said ? If you please let me know anything that you can tell me right now would be more than i uncovered I have spent 4 hours on the web and still no luck in finding anything usefull
Thanks Dana
I called and spoke to the owner of the company who imports them. Basically, they are a rebranded buggy. There are 3 models of the same make: Himoto, RedCat Racing, and another one. I believe this model was based from the Kyosho 1/8 buggy.

My father and I have already done a few modifications to it. The start-cord for the Team Infinity .27 engine broke; so we purchased a Sulivan side-position hex-starter. I had to modify it a tad (grind the bunny ears off the bottom); and place a small shim on the engine mount. But, works like a charm. No more having to pull start. Rather, I just put my hex-driver in the side (right in front of the left rear wheel), and use a torque master +; or a higher torque screw-driver.

We also put in a 5 cell 6.0v NIMH (1100MAH), along with a quick-charge port. Makes it easier; no need to take it all out to charge!
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
nitro-rc

Thanks that sounds like something that i will do to mine did they tell you anything on the factory setting for the carb. or anything on where to find parts
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Red-Rx7

The parts can be ordered from Pheonix, AZ. Thats where they are based from:

http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle_...m?vehicle_id=4

As far as the tuning goes, I threw the factory settings out the window and did my own thing. Read here:

http://www.*********.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

While it has a lot of information, read through it. You will learn quite a bunch, not only with the engine, but other tid-bits.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:17 PM
nitro-rc

Thanks for the links to those websites there was alot of good to know info there. I'm a begginer to nitro rc and already really enjoy it I plant to do alot of hop ups and purchase alot of other nitro toys If i come across more info I will be sure to get the links or list of killer mods Thanks Again