Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio range increase?

Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio range increase?

There were several OSCAR satellites that were put into orbit. No doubt I have the wrong iteration number. The number 7 comes to mind but I am not sure - it was more than 30 years ago. This research was performed in the summer of 1973. The satellite we used was in its last stages of its life. It had only 1 watt of transmitter power for the downlink. It was not a one way system.
We had some success controlling the aircraft using the satellite relay but 1 watt was just not enough power given the limitations we had on the antennas we could carry.
You really need circular polarization as the orientation of the transmitted wave rotates as a low orbit satellite transmission distance changes.
Going to a synchronous satellite would solve that problem but greatly increase the power requirements. Also the transmission delay would make it impossible to control the aircraft manually
Old 12-01-2005, 10:29 PM
AirmanBob
My Feedback: (14)

Read this: http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm. Its a really good article on antenna's and how to make them more effective. Very good reading...

Bob
Old 12-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

What you need is called a Linear Amplifier - 100 watts should be enough. Any high end electronics store should be able to sell you one.

Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81887.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	364908  
Old 01-04-2006, 10:28 PM
lvspark

I can get 20 miles visual line of sight from my spread spectrum RC control system. Unlicensed, secured and encrypted I use my laptop with game joystick and never have to get a freq pin Since I don't trust windows, I am working on the trainer port version to plug into you own rc tx.
Here was my first test flight on an old beat up slow stick http://www.rsnw.com/sss.wmv keep in mind this was a junk plane that would hardly fly and does not reflect any faults of the control interface. I wasn't going to test fly it on anything nice just in case it didn't work

And if this guys video link will go 25 miles (doubtful) my remote pilot GPS HUD would really help out.. http://www.rsnw.com/osdx.wmv

None of this is long range is practical nor do I consider it safe, but it is possible..
Old 01-11-2006, 09:15 PM
treedog

there are places online where nerds build amps for all kinds of electric equipment just do a search good luck and most of it requires some basic circuit board knowledge and end lots of brains and money austailia google might be agood place to start looking
Old 01-17-2006, 08:24 AM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Wheh that sounds fun. Fly my plane from a video screen . Gee , why even go to the field and hassle with my stuff when I can fly the simulator at home. It would look the same. Unless your trying to set a record this sounds irresponsible. Like the famous comedian said about RED NECKS. Just before an accident ,the fianal line is always the same............Hey fella's looky here!!!!!!!!!!