Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless Gear box ?

Old 01-08-2006, 05:32 PM
PlaneCrazzy
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Gear box ?

I am buying my first electric. The plane calls for a Hi-max 2025-5300 that has a gear box or a Hacker A30. Does a gearbox have a advantage or disadvantage? Do they cause problems ?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Brushless Gear box ?

ORIGINAL: PlaneCrazzy

The plane calls for a Hi-max 2025-5300 that has a gear box . Does a gearbox have a advantage or disadvantage? Do they cause problems ?
I had one of those motors and went through more gears than it was worth, I would get an outrunner.

What plane?
Old 01-08-2006, 06:28 PM
PlaneCrazzy

Katina Mini
Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Plane Crazy:

Is there a cost advantage to using a motor plus gears? I think it ends up costing more to run a gear box than not. Is there a weight advantage to the gear box system? No. Does the gearbox become a disadvantage when looking for a new airplane application. Yes. Will a gearbox throw more prop. Sure. Could move the world with enough gears. Does maintenance become a hastle? Yes. Does the sound of gears annoy you. In my general view, gears comes from old world, old hat, old, old, old thinking, generally people who have invested needlessly trying to justify their investment, or get rid of overstock of gears. Most of us learn early in this hobby to do it right the first time, or you will be doing it again at additional expense in the very near future. If you want the best at very competitive prices, go to www.rcxplanes.com and review their package deals. Then call Bud Wilkinson and go with his recommendations for your wants. Will the gears guys guarantee your satisfaction or money back? Bud will. I have had many "thank you-" from friends and fellow r-c'rs on the web, never a dissatisfied customer! Their stuff flys the best that I have ever found, and is tough. The only electrics still alive in my cave are rcx, and they just keep on ticking with wonderful flight chacter. Is there a down side. My other planes think so, they have not been to the field in seven months now, and still have no erge to drag one down. There is some very good stuff up there. ENJOY
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
PlaneCrazzy

rmenke,

Well put. I appreciate both your knowledge and your opinion. I want to go with the motor that will be less troublesome, and the sound of gears does not appeal to me. I am in this hobby to have fun. Thanks again and I will check out that website now.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:00 PM
RCXPLANES
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PlaneCrazzy

rmenke,

Well put. I appreciate both your knowledge and your opinion. I want to go with the motor that will be less troublesome, and the sound of gears does not appeal to me. I am in this hobby to have fun. Thanks again and I will check out that website now.
PlaneCrazzy,
IMHO, if you don't have a power system yet at all, Go with the Outrunner type. They are very powerfull and troublefree. They are much more robust than any GB setup I have found too. As far as what Outrunner to get goes, I have had great results with the Hacker A20 line and the AXI 2212/xx line. Both are very high quality units and which size you pick will be determined by plane size and your performance requirements. I have switched over to the Hacker A20-22L for all of our 15-16 oz, 6mm planes about 8 months ago for 3 reasons. First is that there is about 10% more power available than the AXI 2212/26 with no flight time penalty, flying as I do. Second is the added value of Hacker's value by including all the prop adaptors, motor mounts and 2 spare shafts with the motor, that are fairly expensive extras with the AXI for less money than the AXI motor alone. Third is the customer service from Sean, Kyna and the staff at Hacker being second to none.

There may be other systems available that I have not flown or tested for more or less money that are as good but you would have a hard time finding anything better at any price for sure.

Good Luck,

Bud