Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Find ARF or Kit Hornrt F-18 Spot jet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Find ARF or Kit Hornrt F-18 Spot jet

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:49 PM
aaviles
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find ARF or Kit Hornrt F-18 Spot jet

Where i can find a Hornet F-18 ARF or Kit 0.91
Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

Default RE: Find ARF or Kit Hornrt F-18 Spot jet

Try Juno RC , He has a F-18 for .61 size eng. Which might work.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:08 PM
HaveBlue

I have this kit and intend on running a jett 90l in it when complete ..looks like a very good kit, good instuctions ...cant wait to build this model
Old 01-12-2006, 09:02 AM
johntheroadie
My Feedback: (6)

The only ARF F-18 I know of is the one by VMAR. It's probably not in production yet, but its been on their website for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52611.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	386117  
Old 01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The F-18 once produced by Direct Connection / Capstone is now produced by www.junorc.com

Excellent aircraft. Semi-scale - flys absolutely great.

The other decent one is the G&P F-18 - this is a pusher configuration. There is a current thread in here on a G&P build.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:51 PM
aaviles

Have Blue you tell about Juno Kit?

Bob27s The pusher cnfiguration is best that Front engine Prop.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
HaveBlue

The juno kit is a very good kit..very comprehensive instruction and plans.. and by looking at it is a straight forward build..from what I've seen of the wood selection it's good quality ..it comes with fixed gear but there is information to installing retracts and optional flaps.... the hardware selection is left up to the individual so you need all the clevis's , hinges, push rods, tank and wheels etc... I will be useing a Jett 90l althought I think I will have to drill out the spinner hole and rebush it as it uses a 2 1/4" spinner this spinner is intended on a smaller shaft than that of the SJ90l

I am very keen on getting this kit built so I will probably be posting a build thread on it... I intend on using spring air retracts and I'll see if I will do any mods when I come to them

Cheers
Old 01-12-2006, 03:13 PM
bob27s

the pusher is just more complex.... prop strike issues ..... fuel system is tricky ... muffler installation can be tricky too. But from what I understand the G&P flys pretty well.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 PM
aaviles

hello people I was watching this airplane kit.
a question i can glacer it at least the wings only or fuselage

ak-models.com

[link]http://ak-models.com/akmodels/su-27/DSC00105%20(2).JPG[/link]
Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: aaviles

hello people I was watching this airplane kit.
a question i can glacer it at least the wings only or fuselage

ak-models.com

[link]http://ak-models.com/akmodels/su-27/DSC00105%20(2).JPG[/link]
Spend a day going through this thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2186098/tm.htm

The AK Models kit is very good..... flys great too.

Of note, I understand that somewhere in the works, AKM has an F-18E super hornet for a kit or possible arf eventually
Old 01-12-2006, 06:12 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

I bought an Juno F-18 kit a year ago at the same time I bought my Flanker kit and flipped a coin to see which got built first the Flanker won. This is one of the best looking kits I have seen all the parts are machine sanded to size so all the pieces are loose no snapping out lazer cut pieces and trimming the tabs. If the pieces fit together as well as they look this will be a very nice build.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 PM
aaviles

Bob another question i have two options for the engine a Magnum .91 or Webra .91 model 1037rc with dynamix carb.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:47 PM
HaveBlue

I'd prefer he get the f16 falcon done first!!! Ive been waiting along time for that one
Old 01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: aaviles

Bob another question i have two options for the engine a Magnum .91 or Webra .91 model 1037rc with dynamix carb.
ummmmmmm...... id go with the webra probably

With the dynamix, be sure to use either a jett-stream, ultrathrust muffler - or a full pipe. It needs the backpressure, and serious muffler pressure to work properly.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:18 PM
aaviles

Bob already that kit of AKM is good but i can glacear it? it gained much weight?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
HaveBlue

AAviles..I think you mean "glass" it with epoxy and fibreglass cloth.. I dont know if cyclic ( the original starter of the thread) ended up completeing the model , but I think he intended to glass the fuselage and cover the wings with covering film so like any other model I'm sure you can glass this one ..how much weight it would I cant say ..but I think it would give it a very nice finish... after talking with iFLYrcVIC , and mentioning the work involved in covering this model, I too have decided to glass it as painting on a complex scheme is much eaiser for me than covering it..cause I have never covered a model using covering film!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to ask this since you have the plane. A couple buddies had the DC F18 a few years back and it did resemble and f-18. Now not to go astray from the overall opinion of Vmar but all their propjets look really ridiculous on the front end which has been keeping me from getting one. However the pictures i see of their F-18 seems to be a front end that looks real good. Is this so?

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

I have this kit and intend on running a jett 90l in it when complete ..looks like a very good kit, good instuctions ...cant wait to build this model

Old 01-14-2006, 01:21 AM
HaveBlue

My kit is from Juno rc,( the old D C kit) I dont have the Vmar F18.. I dont know if it's been released yet to be honest..I wont buy another Vmar propjet for a while.. not because of poorer quality than others but they aren't speed planes. I might be wrong , but my impression is they are more a sports type model made(trying) to look good ..dont get me wrong..I'm not bagging Vmar I'll leave that up to others ..although the F4 doesn't look right from the canopy to the spinner..I really like it along with the mig21 and the Hornet.

The wings are too thick for my liking so hence I opted for the Juno kit not to mention that you can put retracts in this kit..and it isnt clear (to me anyway) if the vmar hornet can take retracts..probably can..but I think they went for a stut look and didnt market it as retract ready someone might look into that.. but Vmar are on hold as far as I'm concerned I have to spend my money carefully as there isnt that much of it[&o]

If I were to buy a Vmar it would be the MIG 21 not the Hornet, so sorry Cyclic..I cant help you there I think the pictures are a good indicator though, and I must admit the hornet does seem to be more proporitional than some previous models ..eg my Phantom
Old 01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Okay, since you have the old DC, Let me tell you this. These two guys are good pilots and this plane would make an AT6 look like it was going in t straight line (if ya know what I mean.

So what he did was the first guy built the second guys plane and change the gear location from the fuselage to the wings. (retracts) it did look a bit silly on the ground but it tracked better on takeoff.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 PM
HaveBlue

that doesnt sound like a bad modification , as with this model and the flanker, the stock gear location makes it rather narrow..
so with flanker , and this kit too, I dont have a need for it to look exactly like the real thing..so hence any air intacks or humps etc will be left off or streamlined..unless integral to the build for a reason
on the flanker I intend to use as little of the intakes as is need ..hopefully cut them right down to bare requirements.. same on the hornet so in the end I dont know if there gonna look a whole lot like the real thing..but then again thats not my objective with these kits..If I wanted to duplicate something scale like which looks realistic I might aswell sell all the prop stuff and remortgage so I can a turbine version..which gets as realistic as models get
Old 01-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover

What we need to find is a guy who has that Vmar. I have never owned one and with my record, i would make mods whether they need them or not. BUT the pictures really look good on the front end and looks real good and darn near scalish if you know what I mean for a prop jet.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:33 AM
HaveBlue

I dont know if its released yet..but you could send a pm to salmonbug , he stated he designed some of the Vmar planes ..he did have the mig 21 first , so if you really want some photos I think he's your best bet
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 AM
HaveBlue

I stand corrected it is for sale via the richmond site ..but it looks like there is no provision for retracts, as they have noted on all other propjets on that site.. the F/A 18 Hornet is the only one with no mention of being retract ready...
Old 02-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Ayrtonsenna

Looking forward to the Juno F18 thread (HaveBlue ) as I've just brought one!...please keep us posted!
I'm thinkin Jett 90, with air doors and gear?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:04 AM
HaveBlue

Hi Ayrtonseena, I'm very keen to get this bird done..still got a bit of a problem with space to build it, but am getting close to starting it ...

I will probably use spring air retracts 701....I'll borrow them from my SU 27 Flanker kit as I intend to build the Hornet first

air doors ..Now there is something I haven't done before ..interesting idea, as up till now I haven't thought about that to much , had an idea to make doors but thought that it might be simpler to keep them a mechanical set up with a spring tensioner..I would need to roll the plans out and have a good look at this..which I havent done yet... the most I've done so far is read and re-read the instruction pages... I sort of like reading manuals /tech stuff....I find that it makes a build "flow" because I sort of build the model in my mind as I keep reading the instruction sheets... I would hate to get far into a build and then come up with an idea for an improvement when something is already done..only to try to rebuild it to my satisfaction.. I want to do it once and once only with everything set up correctly.. a good example is the torque rods in the flanker build thread... I dont want to finish the up with "weak" links as I'm no expert in this field.

My original intension was to do the build /finish /test flight ...take photos of each step and then post the thread...but thats too much time as there is a bit of momentum building in getting a thread started as a few are buying this kit now..so I can forget that idea..lol

I got a few links to get some different graphic sheets. As I mentioned somewhere else I want to use the scheme that is shown in my avaitar...but then again the sheets wont be much good as they are for a small scale model but I will get a set and see if there is a way of up scaling them and re-printing, other than that the easiest option for me is to glass and paint this bird with an air brush..rather fiddley and messy but I love spray painting..hence to an extent weight is not an issue(within reason) as this bird is meant to fly well and solid and of course use one of best, if not the best ".90" sized engines..the Jett90L which is sitting in a box just waiting..not even bench run yet

but for now it's back to my garage to try to organise some room in there and get started on this as soon as I can

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.