Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

jr vigor help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 04:15 PM
marmot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr vigor help

hi im in the market for a jr vigor w 0s 61 and jr servos what do you think of this model? recently i had the opportunity to fly a vigor cs , i dont want to spend the extra bucs for the cs but i sure want a vigor std any comments or sugestions?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:34 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jr vigor help

I had a Vigor. Nice machine that flew terrific. I sold it during a weak moment and regretted it. Now, in light of current JR parts pricing, I'm wondering if it was a blessing in disguise.

If all you intend to do is putz around and mild aerobatics, the stock Vigor is very nice. If you plan on spanking the ship (hard 3D), then you would be WELL advised to spend the seventy bucks on upgrade metal tail pulleys, front & rear.

Also, I have a conceptual problem with a $750+ helo kit that comes with a bushed plastic tail rotor pitch bellcrank attached with a 2mm bolt. JR ads lead you to believe the ship is fully bearinged; not so. In addition to the afore-mentioned t/r bellcrank, the cyclic/collective bellcranks hidden in the upper frame are bushed as well.

But you won't find a simpler design. It is easy to build and repair. It has probably the most efficient cooling system out there.

As far as I'm concerned, the Vigor and the X-Cell fly equally well. The X-Cell is definitely more durable, but much more involved to build and set-up.

I think it was Allen Dye who mentioned in your other thread about the market life expectancy of some Japanese machines. That point is well made, and one to consider. In this case, I don't think that will be an immediate concern; Horizon has sunk a lot of money into the Vigor, development and advertising wise, and I don't see them dropping it any time soon. Still, you never know. The Vigor was created for the US market, and is just recently (in the past year or so) become available in other markets.

JR may wake up one day and decide to cancel the Vigor. Not likely, as I said, but it has happened to me twice in eight years; machines that I owned and liked (both of Japanese origin) were discontinued. Once that happens, it is only a matter of time before finding parts becomes a scavenger hunt.

This is why I have two X-Cells now. I'm not going through that again.

Now, guys, please; Nobody go saying "Campbell said JR is gonna drop the Vigor!" That's NOT what I said, okay???<G>

Steve
Old 01-22-2002, 02:27 AM
Dyehard

Default jr vigor help

Thanks, Steve, sometimes it takes several posts to bring out all the points that should be made, and I try to keep things short and simple. Well, most of the time.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:46 PM
TheBigE

Default jr vigor help

Bottom line is that you will be happy with whatever machine you purchase. They both are great flying birds. I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet. I think some questions that shoud be answered first are

1. What kind of part support do you have in your area if any? Nice to be able to goto the LHS and get the part you need to get back up and flyng that day or the next.

2. What is everyone else flying in your area. The extra help and experience will go a long way in getting the bird in the air.

For the record I fly Vigors, started with a std and then upgraded it to a CS, after I had purchased a CS and was flying it for awhile. My driving point on going with a vigor was #1 above and the simplicity of the machine. I was the first one in my area to get a vigor so I pretty much threw reason #2 above out the window.

Just my 2 cents.

Erik