Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

setting idle and fuel mixture

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
gschofield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting idle and fuel mixture

I had to take apart my truck to replace the tiger drive and after hooking everything back up it seems that I have the idle screwed up. The wheels spin even in neutral, the car moves a little bit. The idle adjustment on the controller is set to the furthest position back (no movement) but it still moves forward. Adjusting the air/fuel screw seems to slow the wheels down but when I remove the glow plug ignitor the car sputters and stalls. I've tried to adjust the screw that is on the actua throttle arm and that seems to slow or speed up th eidle, bu ***'s not the idle screw. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please let me know. Thanks a bunch.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Xeller8

Default RE: setting idle and fuel mixture

The idle screw is under the air cleaner..(little black screw sticking out)...also...when the electronics are ON and the servos are in their centered (neutral) position...look down the throat of the carb...the opening should only be about a 1/16th or so....

Did you take the servo arms off at all??...if you did...you could have put the throttle servo arm back on without having the servo centered.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
gschofield

I did take the arms off, adn I took the litte t shaped plastic piece off of the top of the servo so I could access the battery cover easier. HOw do I set it cocrrectly so it is centered, it seems like it just sits on there and screws on. And also, I know which screw is the idle, what I dont' know is which one is on the throttle arm. Thanks again so much for the help.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Make sure when you put the t back on, you have your trim on your controller in the center and you have your controller on and leave about 1/16th-1/8th opening in the carb. The tighten down the screw. Then make minor adjustment from there.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:59 PM
gschofield

I know this seems impossible, but the wheels still spin quite fast and the carb looks to be only 1/16th open. What is the proper way to adjust the opening of the carb? Is that the idle screw? I will try what you said with the servo. Thanks for your help again.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Xeller8

Yes...the idle screw adjusts the opening in the carb...leave that one the way it is for the time being...

The screw in the end of the throttle arm is your low speed mixture screw that controls the mixture from idle to about 50% throttle...start out with it about 2-3 turns out from full in and the you should be able to adjust from there..

As for the servo...like Chubsdad said...you need to have the controller AND the electronics in the truck turned on...set the throttle trim on the controller to the center (neutral position)....then put the servo arm back on so it is not pulling the throttle open.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
gschofield

ok thanks, that helped tremendously. HOwever...the wheels still spin slowly, and if I open up the fuel mixure anymore the car stalls and runs at about 1/2 power. If I close it slowly it runs better but again, the wheels still move a bit. If I turn the idle down on the controller the car stalls. Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Xeller8

O.K...good to hear we got things headed in the right direction...

Now....you say the wheels still turn slowly?...is this while it is on the bench with no weight on the wheels? or does the car move when sitting on the ground?....there is no problem if the car seems to want to move when you put it on the ground...as long as it doesn't take off and just "acts" like it wants to start moving...

Go ahead and turn the the low speed mixture screw in a bit at a time until it is idling decent..give the throttle a "blip" or two and see how responsive it is....as you lean down (turn in) the low speed screw the idle will more than likely pick up a bit..(this is normal as 2-strokes idle faster than 4-strokes)...if the car wants to take off after that then you can adjust the idle speed screw accordingly to keep it from taking off...if it tends to "lurch" a tad bit while it is sitting on the ground...thats no problem..

Make SMALL adjustments at a time...no more than 1/16-1/8 turns at any one time on any of the mixture screws (even LESS on the idle speed screw) and after each adjustment....give the motor a little time to adjust to the new settings...the changes will not be immediate...also...don't try to make too many adjustments to the idle and such using the controller....leave everything zeroed for now then you can make a few fine adjustments after that if needed..

Just keep in mind that tuning these things takes a LOT of patience and very fine adjustments...if you are patient and keep making these minor adjustments she should come around to you.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:46 PM
gschofield

Ok, I think I got it, when I pull the car off the ground the wheels spin, but when I put it back on the ground it just sort of creeps very slowly, which is good. My next problem, and this is one I"ve had since I got the truck, is that when starting for the first time of the day the engine stalls when I remove the glow plug ignitor. Is this normal? The idle also seems to slow a bit when I remove it. I have a brand new glow plug ignitor and it's fully charged. I also just changed the glow plug. Other than that I think I might finally have this thing running well. Do you have any idea where the engine should be mounted. Like how close to the transmission? Again these are probably dumb questions but I am new to this but I enjoy the work on them. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Xeller8

If it keeps stalling when you take the ignitor off try leaning out the low speed screw just a bit more...I meant to ask though....are you still in break in mode or have you already completed break in?

I usually leave the ignitor on for about 30 seconds or so after I get it started just help it warm up a bit...

When you replaced the glow plug...what temp did you get?...cool...medium or hot?

I run McCoy MC-59's....they are a medium/hot plug and seem to work very well.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
gschofield

Hi, my truck is broken in, a hobby shop took care of that for me. I seem to have resolved the glow plug problem by doing what you said, and leaving it on for about thirty seconds. Thanks for all your help. I have a new question. When out driving the truck I went through some high grass. The pinkish bolt that is in the middl eof the transmission seemed to come loose and I had to take it apart and tighten it, now everything is fine. Is it normal for this to come loose. I know now that the grass was too long and I won't do it again. HOpefully nothing more serious is wrong. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Xeller8

YAY!!

Glad to hear everything is working out for you...glad we could help!

As far as the "pinkish bolt" goes...I'm not 100% sure which one you are talking about but I doubt that running it through the tall grass caused the problem....I wouldn't worry about THAT too much unless the grass really bogs the truck down then you are putting extra stress on the clutch and drive train....other than that...it is a pretty normal occurence for some of the screws and stuff to come loose due to vibration and such...it is important to check all screws...bolts and fasteners periodically...like before each run or something like that just to make sure everything is tight...if some of them seem to be a constant nuisance get yourself some loc-tite and coat the threads before putting them back in...that will take care of the problem...

Hope you are having tons of fun with your truck now and if you have any other problems or questions just holler![8D]
Old 02-08-2006, 04:26 PM
gschofield

Yah I know what you mean about the bolts. I bought a tiger drive and it was working great except the screws started to loosen. Finally one day I was driving and ran out of gas, when I went to restart I noticed there was one screw left. I had one heck of time tracking down th eright size screw...2.5 mm...no one had it. Finally I had to contact the company and they sent me the screws free. Thanks for all your help, I'll keep you posted on how my truck is doing. Are there any places I can look for upgrades for the truck. The only part site I've been able to find is www.redcatracing.com and they seem a bit expensive??? Anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Eldorada

There is a guy on e-bay selling all the parts for the volcano. (and possibly others) The store is called hild cycles. He sells all the parts the redcat site does at a 20% discount and he combines shipping. $5.00 for up to 20 parts. He is also very helpfull when it comes to costomer service via e-mail. I have ordered from him twice and get my parts in a matter of days.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88649.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	407697