Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

When Should I start #2.

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

When Should I start #2.

Old 11-30-2002, 04:48 PM
bgc22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Should I start #2.

I am getting a Hangar 9 Alpha Trainer for Christmas and was wondering When i should start a second plane. After how many flights or months etc. Also what should my second plane be?? i am looking to get into warbirds so do you think one would be a decent choice for a second plane or should i buy something else and when. Thanks alot for any advice.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:55 PM
toyking23
My Feedback: (4)

Immediately, one thing you learn in this hobby. Always have another ready. Because no matter how good you get, things happen and "BAM" plane is gone. I had flown 2 different planes for over 2 years, and lost them both within a 2 week period.

My son went from a trainer to a SIG SE, and flew it and landed it better then he did his trainer. I highly recommend this plane for everyone.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:59 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for "2nd plane" or something similar and you will find many threads about good 2nd aircraft. A warbird is not a good second. Warbirds have high wing loadings, sketchy ground handling and are more prone to snap and tip stalling. You can start to build your second plane at any time you like. I started my second before I had even soloed.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:54 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you planning on another ARF, RTF, or kit?

Jerry
Old 12-01-2002, 06:13 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Find out what planes you like the best or which has the "LOOK" that you find intriguing. Get the kit or ARF and start building.

For some selections, visit our site:
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/second_plane.htm
Old 12-01-2002, 02:30 PM
jettstarblue

Default 2nd plane

bgc,

No a "warbird" is generally not a good second plane.
Yes, very good choice for your first plane. I highly recommend this plane for anyone new-the best trainer I have used here for the "newbies".
If you like to build try an Astro Hog from Sig. If you don't try any of the "Ugly Stick" type ARF's
Most importantly-stick with it, don't let setbacks set you back and ask a lot of questions! I only cringe to think of the progress I could have made years ago with something like R/C Universe to help out!

Jetts
Old 12-01-2002, 04:25 PM
pinball-RCU

The truth of the matter is that unless you are gifted or very lucky, the second plane you own will also be a trainer. You need to be careful with the "2nd plane" threads. They're not usually talking about the numerical 2nd plane, but rather about the 2nd type of plane, the plane you'll graduate to after you've learned everything you can from your trainer and are bored with it, and that might be 3 planes down the road.

Therefore, to answer your question, you should be looking for a trainer-like plane, perhaps something a little more aerobatic, say with a semi-symetrical wing rather than flat bottom. But definitely a trainer-like plane.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:43 PM
jettstarblue

Default On a Roll!

I second that!

Jetts
Old 12-01-2002, 05:37 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I think you should wait a bit. There's no rush. Trainers are... *gasp* fun to fly! They may not be able to do some of the things other planes can, but then again other planes can't do some of the things trainers can.

Take your time. Once you've been at the field a bit, you'll get a feel for what kind of second plane you want. You'll also have a better idea of your talents for this hobby, and that'll help you make the best choice for you.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's really no reason to wait, as long as you keep a few things in mind.

First, when the second plane is done, it doesn't mean you're ready for it.

Second, If you crash the trainer, repair it. Don't use the addage, "Well, plane #2 is ready to fly, so I'll put the equipment in that one."

Third, If the trainer gets totaled, go out and buy Plane #3... ANOTHER TRAINER! Get an ARF that will get you back into the air quickly. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you can't handle your trainer yet, you're not ready to move up.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Unstable

first off stay with the trainer till you know you are ready for another plane... then stay with it a few more flights also when you are getting bored of the trainer you can turn that into a great "second plane" by cranking up the control throws, and moving the CG back a 1/4" at a time.

I had a few trainers that were as fun to fly as alot of aerobats.

a few good picks for a (real) second plane would be any of the "sticks" (big stick, sweet stick, ultra stick, etc etc etc etc etc) these will probably last you for the rest of your flying, but still are easy to handle on low rates.

next move into "scale" planes to get a feel for what they do, My first low wing was a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk, and I cant say enough good things about this plane. Although it doesnt "float in" like a trainer it still slows down enough for nice landings, has good stall tendencies, and looks great in the air.(esp during a lomcevak)

or you could go for a "trainer" type warbird like the AT-6 or a similar easy flying warbird.

then go to somthing like a P51. I have a spitfire and it is a blast to fly, but you have to be smooth a silk to keep it from snapping out. but if you practice and keep at it the rewards are worth it.

just to let you know I started flying in march of this year and got the spitfire last month so it is doable in a short amount of time. but I spent hours apon hours on the sim purposefully making the airplanes hard to fly to make myself better.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:53 AM
bgc22

I want to probably buy an ARF for my second plane and make the third a kit.Thanks for all the replies guys. Unstable, what sim do you have and do you have a radio hookup/?
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Live Wire

A trainer is a trainer to change a trainer to the next step is to change control throws. change balancing point engine thrust and power. After that go to a low wing 4* or simular plane
Old 12-03-2002, 04:25 AM
bgc22

What about a sig Somethin' Extra??
Old 12-03-2002, 04:33 AM
Gladman

I tell ya man, buy yourself a Hobbico Brightstar 40. I have about 12 flights on mine now and I absolutely, love this thing. Its a little snakey on the ground but ohhhhhhh boy, get it in the air and its awesome. Aileron rolls, loops, hammerheads, basic inverted flight, etc etc. Oh, and did I mention that it lands like a dream.

I thought that when I bought it I would get a season out of it and be done, but I have plans on flying this thing for many a happy year. Its a great plane, its an ARF, and its a truckload of fun. Stable, manuverable, and just plain fun. Put a OS .46 in it and your rockin.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
racer-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

Default 2nd plane

BUY a Sig RASCAL 40 ARF. I have one and i absoluty love it. I have a SATIO .56 in it and it can hover on a good day. My friend Terry has one on floats and it's so awsome. You will not be dissapointed if you buy this plane you will have it for a long time
Old 12-05-2002, 08:45 AM
rorywquin

Originally posted by pinball
The truth of the matter is that unless you are gifted or very lucky, the second plane you own will also be a trainer. .

Sorry but I really do not agree with this statement ! If you try to learn without a good and experienced instructor (not your pal who has just learned to fly) or are very unlucky you might need a second trainer. Most trainer "accidental" damage is usually repairable and at my club, most of our beginners get their 'A' certificate (ie go solo) with their first trainer suffering minimal damage. If the trainer is well built / assembeld and checked out by your instructor there is no reason to crash it! It is all down to good instruction(I include all aspects of r/c flying).

Once you have learned to fly your trainer properly you will have a good idea of what you would like to fly next (and you will better understand your own abilities). By all means start building that warbird, you can take your time and make a nice job of it while you learn to fly. Once you master the trainer, then transition from a high wing to a low wing and learn to fly it properly. After that you will be ready for your warbird!
Old 12-05-2002, 06:22 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

First, I went from a Goldberg falcon 56 mk II to an extra 230, so don't let anyone scare you.

On the warbird thing, it probably depends on a number of things, the first being your comfort level. Second, are you talking really scale or a sport plane? A really scale warbird will tend to have a high wing loading, which is best to ease into. A sport version, such as the new H9 mustang, flys like a high performance low wing trainer but looks much better.

Look around at your local field and see what interests you, then decide.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Crashem

Building and flying are two seperate skills.

My advice is build what ever you want and as many as you want

But remember that just because you posess the Skill to BUILD it does not mean you posess the skill to FLY it!!!

Enjoy your flying your alpha. while your learning

BTW the way its not on common for people to have kits for years before assembling them ask me how I know.