Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Old Top Flite War Bird Questions and Problems ...Help !!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Old Top Flite War Bird Questions and Problems ...Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:20 AM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Top Flite War Bird Questions and Problems ...Help !!!

I recently picked up 3 older Top Flite Warbirds ild like to finish and or reserrect ..Heres my problems .
First is an Old I think Red Box P-40 War Weary . Its complete Just needs radio gear and set up . Anybody know where the CG is and the throws for this plane ?? Does it fly well if set up properly ?? Its painted but not glassed so it isnt terribly heavy ..
Second is a Corsair . Im not sure if its the older one or the gold eddition .. Is there a way to tell ?? It just needs a motor and radio gear .It was built with no flaps or retracts and is in mono cote .I need CG and throws on her to . It appears to have survived a few flights so Im guessing it doesnt fly to bad being rather light .If shes a good flyer ild like to recover and give her some love ..Anybody ever set one up with Flaperons ?? Would the Gull wing goof this up if I did ??
Third is a Red Box P-51B Its built but needs finishing and the guy didnt have the flaps for her .Anybody have some plans for this bird ?? What were the flaps made from Balsa Strips or blocks sanded down ?? Were these reasonably good flyers ?? Also need CG and throws for her to ..
I have flown many a tail dragger . Ive got 2 P-51s a World Models 40 size and a Great Planes Kit built one .Ive got a Model Tech P-47 and a Zillion Hours on Goldberg Cubbys .. All my planes have survived pretty much except the World models I was doing a low fast fly by 25 feet off the deck and forgot about the 26 foot tree at the end of run way ..OPPS ...Its flying again but the left wing tip didnt like that one ...L.O.L...Any Way these shouldnt be beyond my skills should they ?? I heard some Top Flites are bears to fly ... Any help ild be much thankfull for ...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Old Top Flite War Bird Questions and Problems ...Help !!!

Top Flite Corsair:
The original/ red box versions did not come with molded plastic wing inlets/ 'oil cooler's, SO if it appears that the wing inlets are just wood, then you probably have a 'red box'. It is possible however, that if it DOES have the molded ones, the builder purchased a set from Top Flite and added them to a 'red box' kit.
A better way to tell would be look at the interior of the fuselage:
If if is contructed of mostly balsa formers, it is a 'red box'
If formers are 1/8" ply, it is Gold Edition

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words, and it would help us to help you IF you could post a pic or 2 (or 3, 4,...)

Regardless, flaperons are a bad idea: they should only be utilized with full span ailerons. Otherwise, tip stalls become VERY likely to occur.

Top Flite manuals can be down loaded from Top Flite. The 2 Corsair versions will have same throws and CG
Old 02-17-2006, 08:04 PM
bobo_54501

Hi Corsair I checked it out and its got plastic oil coolers and its got Ply formers so she must be the Gold Edition . Do these fly OK ?? How about landing speed with out flaps ?? If its lighter it shouldnt be horrible would it ..?? Just keep a little power on and fly her all the way to the ground ??I also found the Top Flite website ..Thanks !!! I cant find anything on the Older P-51B or The Red Box P-40 ..Would CG on the Gold Eddition P-40 be the same as the Gold One ??
Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the warbirds section of planes for sale , there is a built but not covered P40 red box , ask the guy for the CG he may just help you
Old 02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built and still have a red box P51 that was built as a D version. The flaps were solid shaped balsa, not built up. Although built up is probably better, save some weight. The plane flys on rails and really exhibited no bad habits. It does come in hot and flaps are a must IMHO. This was a Dave Platt design, you should be able to get plans from the Top Flite web site.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: bobo_54501
Hi Corsair I checked it out and its got plastic oil coolers and its got Ply formers so she must be the Gold Edition . Do these fly OK ?? How about landing speed with out flaps ?? If its lighter it shouldnt be horrible would it ..?? Just keep a little power on and fly her all the way to the ground ??I also found the Top Flite website ..Thanks !!! I cant find anything on the Older P-51B or The Red Box P-40 ..Would CG on the Gold Eddition P-40 be the same as the Gold One ??
These fly just fine without flaps, assuming it is not overweight. My 1st Top Flite Corsair had retracts, but no flaps, weighed about 8 1/2 lbs, and flew great (See my Gallery, the one with "102" on it.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:12 AM
bobo_54501

Man youve got some sharp looking Corsairs there ... Looks like no hanger queens neither ...Do you fly anything else ?? I was thinking about a OS 61 FX I have laying around for the Corsair .That should pull her around fine shouldnt it .?? I dont want to burn the sky up with this plane . Ild throw some pictures on here but Im not sure how to .Ild have to take her outside to and Northern Wisconsin is a nice Balmy 27 degrees below zero right now ..Looks like Im stuck inside and can get some Planes finished this weekend ..L.O.L...
Old 02-18-2006, 01:17 AM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bobo_54501

Another way to tell if the Corsair is an older Red Box are the ailerons and flaps. If they are built up with ribs, it is a Red Box. The Gold Edition was originally advertized as easier to build and one reason was that it has many less parts. These are mostly the aileron and flap parts that were used to build up those surfaces.

Hope this helps with positive ID of your Corsair.

George
Old 02-18-2006, 08:21 AM
CorsairJock

Thanks, bobo_54501. Just goes to show that you can get a descent, and scale accurate finish with iron on covering. Yes, I do fly other plaes than Corsairs: I have a growing fleet of smaller, electric powered aircraft. At this time tho, all my fuel powered ones (AND some electric powered ones) are Corsairs. I keep telling myself that I should build a fuel powered sportplane, but then I start on another Corsair project.

While most of the MonoKoted Top Flight Corsairs that I have seen and owned weighed under 9 lbs (RTF, minus fuel), there were a few that I have seen that the builder somehow managed to weigh significantly more, as in the 10 lb range. Before choosing an engine, I suggest that you try to determing what it's final weight will be. Weigh it now, than add whatever needs to be added in terms of radio gera and engine, and use your best judgement. If you determine that it will weigh in the 8 1/2 lb range or less, the .61 should work. I used a Saito .72 in my #167, which was a little over 8 1/2 lbs.

Would you be able to add retracts to it? It would be well worth it, as these Corsairs just don't look right with the gear hanging down all the time. And, retracts DO enhance performance as well (higher top speeds).

As for 'red box'/ Gold Edition comparisons: if I recall correctly, the balsa fuselage formers with the 'red box' need to be assembled, adding to the parts count also. As for ailerons, it would be difficult to determine construction type once they are built and covered (as your's is)
Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 AM
tigertooth
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Bobo 54501, As for the Red Box P-40, the CG from the leading edge is between 2 5/8" and 3 3/16". Throws are as follows: ailerons 1/2" up and 1/2" down, flaps 50 degrees, and elevator 5/8" up and 5/8" down. No rudder throw given. I am scratch building one now with an OS FL 70 for power. Let me know if you need other info. or help. Send in a photo when finished. Richard.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
bobo_54501

Thanks for the info so far guys .From what ive been told so far she must be a gold eddition . On the P-40 I found a kit on Ebay for sale and asked the fellow if he would be kind enought to give me the CG and rest off of the plans .. He Did ..The Corsair is right around 6 pounds with out radio gear or motor . Im thinking that might end up a little over 8 RTF .Ive flown heavier planes on a 60 . Just keep them on the ground a little longer during take off . Corsair Jock ...Ya retracts would sure be nice . Looks like it would take some work thow .Maybe if I get her flying and it survives the summer Ill dig into her next winter .She should still be plenty pretty in the Air anyway .Wish I knew how to post some Pics .. Is there a thread on how to do this ?? Ive been working on my War Bird Fleet this winter and have most of them ready . I have the 2 Mustangs back . A Model Tech P-47 ..A T6 Texan .The P-40 ..And 2 Corsairs ..The Top Flite one and a Dynaflite Fun scale Corsair . I havnt flown the Fun scale But heard its a nice plane .. I need the CG on it to if somebody knows ..Now if we can just shake this snow up here ...L.O.L...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:58 AM
joey_snaproll
My Feedback: (32)

Hi Everyone,I belive the "red box" Corsair has a 61" wing span and the "gold edition"is 62" wing span,plus as said in another thread the wing tip shape is different . It is shown in that other thread.Not sure which one right now but, someone will say which one.

Thanks
Joe
Old 02-20-2006, 01:44 AM
bobo_54501

Opps Im sorry Tigertooth I got to writing and didnt notice you had sent the CG to .Scratch building .. Boy that seems like a chore and a half .I build sometimes but enjoy flying ARFs or planes I pick up at auctions more .If I spend 50 to 100 hours building a plane I get to much emotional investment tied up in them .On my maidens the old bottom will be puckered up till shes back on the ground in one piece . Just Me !!! If I get a ARF or a auction plane if the worst happens oh well theres a couple $$ and a few hours ..Not that I crash alot but if you fly them its going to get some dirt in her someday . My fauther built a zillion planes for guys back in the 70s .He never learned to fly .. Just love to build .Thats why I started to learn to fly . To do something he hadnt quite done . To build my own plane and fly it. 20 years to the date he had passed away I invited the family to my field and flew the last surving plane he had built . I put inside the plane the only set of stripes from his Air Force uniform that we had left ..((( He served 11 years in WW2 and Korea in the Air Force )) I did this as a Tribute to him . I was scared to death the whole flight .That plane is my only Hanger Queen now . Sure wish I wasnt a young punk back then and had shared this hobby with him while I could have .