Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Question on the Ultra Hots from MAN Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Question on the Ultra Hots from MAN Plans

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:29 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on the Ultra Hots from MAN Plans

I'm building the Ultra Hots from Model Airplane New plans and I've hit a snag. I have the fuse built up but I can't figure out the placement of F7 for the wing mount bolt. On the plans it looks like the placement will interfear with W1 the 1/2 inch thick block on the aft edge of the wing. I also would have thought that the entire W1 would be inside the fuse but on the plans it's wider than the fuse????

Does anyone have one of these planes that could send me a picture of the back edge of the wing and the F7 wing mount area so I can keep going on this thing?

Also, for anyone that is flying one of these. This is my first big plane, I've scratch built many 40 & 60 size planes but this is my first 80+ incher. I'm going digital servos on this one so my funds for the engine are a bit limited. I'm leaning towards a ST2300 to power it, do you think it will be enough engine? I'd love to be able to hover it but I guess at this point it's not a requirement. I know a ZDZ50 would be wonderful but gassers are way out of my budget right now, maybe on the next one.. (I love to build and fly, but I enjoy peace and harmony in my marriage more!!) so I really need to keep the engine as far under $300 as I can....

Thanks for any help or inputs in advance....

Larry
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on the Ultra Hots from MAN Plans

I recentluy purchased the Ultra Hots plans. however I have not started the build as yet. I have built a couple of the forty size and they have been great performers. I plan to modify the Ultrahots slightly by building inset ailerons into the wing.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

I've built 3 of the 40 size and I love the Hots. I wanted this to be my first step into the larger planes but did hit these couple of snags. The more I study the plans the more I think there may be an error. If you lay the top view of the center of the wing over the top view of the fuse, things don't line up right either. I think I have an idea on how it's going to end up being put together but it is different than the plans appear. I'd feel better if I could see one that was done. My only complaint with the MAN plans is that the copy of the article is lousy. I wish they would do a gray scale copy instead of a black and white so the pictures would be usable. There is a picture in the reprint of this area but you can't see anything since it's so grainy....

On mine I'm increasing the ailerons to 2 1/4 inch and I'm using built up construction instead of solid balsa for them. The 1/2" end cap on the wing will be brought back so it covers the end of the ailerons to clean it up a little out there. I also increased the area of the elevator and rudder about 15% and changed the shape of both of them a little. They will be built up as well to get rid of the solid balsa.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Rocketeer10

check out the click trip for the Hots pull-out plan, better than the paper copy of the article
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/cli...p05/hots_1.asp
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

Thanks Rocketeer10 but that is the 40 size hots. I'm building the Ultra Hots which is an 81" wingspan with a removable wing. The wing mount is where the problem lies... But thanks for the reply!!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:12 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Yes this is a confusing area of the plans. Building article doesn't help much here.

W1 gets glued on the trailing edge of the wing center.
Leave about 1/4in clearance to F8 with the wing installed, so you can pull it back to take it off.

W2 gets glued on top of W1 and the wing sheeting. Use aircraft ply for this part.

W1 and W2 are about the same width as the inside of your fuselage.

F7 (Glued on 1/2in braces across fuselage sides) supports the bottom of W1.

F7A adds some meat for your wing bolts. I would recommend two bolts for redundancy.

Wing bolts go through W2 -> W1 -> F7 -> F7A

Hope this helps.

FWIW If I built another one, I would enlarge tail section as some other builders have done here.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Motor-wise, the ST2300 will make it a good sport airplane.
I had a 44cc gas on mine, and it was an animal.
30cc glow (Like a Moki 180 or ST3000) would be a good compromise.

You are shooting for 12lb all-up weight.

You will need to raise the plane for prop clearance with these bigger motors.
If you need a landing gear for yours, I have one for sale. PM me.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:06 PM
FreakNastyAerobatics

Thanks Martyg, that's pretty much what I really needed to hear... And I have decided that I don't want a good sport plane so I am going to order a Brillelli engine. It's a 46cc gasser with electronic Ignition for $325.... Should make for a very fun aircraft!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 10:25 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Just don't pull the Choke switch in a Torqueroll[]